Guest James.S

Guest Stephanie

Hi Steve`o my Other half has just passed his vetasses and we are just in the process of applying for 175 state sponsership! we are heading to the gold coast so was wondering can you recommend a RTO for him to go to and explain the process for getting a license when we finally get to the GC??:confused:

Thanks

Stephanie

Guest steve the spark
Hi Steve`o my Other half has just passed his vetasses and we are just in the process of applying for 175 state sponsership! we are heading to the gold coast so was wondering can you recommend a RTO for him to go to and explain the process for getting a license when we finally get to the GC??:confused:

Thanks

Stephanie

fastest way to get licenced is get an artc from the tra $300

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

and do your licence in SA at per.com.au

this can be done from home and fly down for the exam or 3 weeks at adeliade

full licence and start working ;)

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

if required you can exchange this SA licence for a qld one via mutual recognition

Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

yes its a pain in the arse especially if youve spent an small fortune with vetteses and have been presented with the next to useless osrt cert but at the end ofthe day with construction work slowing down youve no chance with a permit to train

ive posted masses of info helping other sparks on another well know expats forum

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this helps guys

regards steve

Guest Daz & Claire

Hi steve,

i'm filling in my artc and i am wondering if ive put to much rubbish in it.

I was thinking that the more info about what skills or courses that i've done such as cheery picker or fork lift truck licence or computer programming the better.

I use these on the site where i work but they are not really relevant to my Electrical skills.

what do you or others think?.

Daz

Guest steve the spark
Hi steve,

i'm filling in my artc and i am wondering if ive put to much rubbish in it.

I was thinking that the more info about what skills or courses that i've done such as cheery picker or fork lift truck licence or computer programming the better.

I use these on the site where i work but they are not really relevant to my Electrical skills.

what do you or others think?.

Daz

work both your refernces and work experiance aound the following

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?

You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

• reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;

• planning independently the method and order of doing a job;

• using measuring instruments correctly;

• marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;

• selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;

• making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;

• performing trade work independently; and

• checking and /or testing work against established standards.

You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.

Applying for ARTC : British Expat Discussion Forum

see post 5 for examples of the stuff i used in my own application

sorry but i cannot upload this stuff here due to the upload rescrictions

regards steve

Guest Stephanie

Thanks Steve.........how are you doing with work on the GC got plenty on? we are starting think about holding back after we get the visa cause all it is especially on these ex pats sites is doom and gloom :wacko:

Regards

Stephanie

Guest dobber

Just a quick question if anyone can help, have passed the vetassess course, so is it possible to do the licence required from over here in the uk.

I found this post the other day on another site it conferms the route that Steve has talked about -

got an email from the OCBA that finally explains the process of getting a license in south australia.

the process will stay the same for anyone assessed by TRA. get ARTC certificate and do the regs course at PEER, then you can get full license.

if you have been assessed by vetassess then the PEER option is out unfortunately. the ocba says you can apply for a restricted license as soon as you arrive by producing your ostr certificate. you would then have to work under supervision until you have completed the necessary gap training. this is what the OCBA said;

If you are from India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the Philippines, you can obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through VETASSESS to assist in your application for a restricted workers registration. If you are a migrant with the following skills; general plumber/gas fitter, general electrician, air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic, cable jointer, and electrical power lines tradesperson, VETASSESS will assess your technical skills and list the units of competencies that you have completed on the OTSR.

Once you have obtained an OTSR, you can apply with OCBA for a restricted registration to work under direct supervision until you complete the gap training requirements.

When you have completed your gap training, you will be issued a certificate (from the list overleaf), and you will then be able to apply for a change in condition of your registration with OCBA.

The OTSR must show you have been assessed as having the required technical skills in one of the following qualifications. Please note you will be required to present an original or certified copy of your certificate with your application.

Restricted Electrical Workers Registration:

• Certificate III - Electro technology Electrician (UEE30806)

• Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Distribution (UET30206), and/or

• Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Cable Jointing (UET30406),

• Certificate in Engineering - Mechanical Trade (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning), or

• Certificate III in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (UEE31306)

Guest James.S
I found this post the other day on another site it conferms the route that Steve has talked about -

got an email from the OCBA that finally explains the process of getting a license in south australia.

the process will stay the same for anyone assessed by TRA. get ARTC certificate and do the regs course at PEER, then you can get full license.

if you have been assessed by vetassess then the PEER option is out unfortunately. the ocba says you can apply for a restricted license as soon as you arrive by producing your ostr certificate. you would then have to work under supervision until you have completed the necessary gap training. this is what the OCBA said;

If you are from India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the Philippines, you can obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through VETASSESS to assist in your application for a restricted workers registration. If you are a migrant with the following skills; general plumber/gas fitter, general electrician, air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic, cable jointer, and electrical power lines tradesperson, VETASSESS will assess your technical skills and list the units of competencies that you have completed on the OTSR.

Once you have obtained an OTSR, you can apply with OCBA for a restricted registration to work under direct supervision until you complete the gap training requirements.

When you have completed your gap training, you will be issued a certificate (from the list overleaf), and you will then be able to apply for a change in condition of your registration with OCBA.

The OTSR must show you have been assessed as having the required technical skills in one of the following qualifications. Please note you will be required to present an original or certified copy of your certificate with your application.

Restricted Electrical Workers Registration:

• Certificate III - Electro technology Electrician (UEE30806)

• Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Distribution (UET30206), and/or

• Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Cable Jointing (UET30406),

• Certificate in Engineering - Mechanical Trade (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning), or

• Certificate III in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (UEE31306)

Hi, very useful info...

PEER is not out for people who have gone down the Vetassess route, it just means you have to apply for a ARTC once your visa is granted..

James..

Guest Daz & Claire
Hi, very useful info...

PEER is not out for people who have gone down the Vetassess route, it just means you have to apply for a ARTC once your visa is granted..

James..

Hi all,

I phoned TRA and asked if i could apply for an ARTC even though i've done a vetassess route. He said I can as long as I meet thier requirements which are a bit different to vetassess.

he asked me why? and I told him that i can not find an employer willing to carry me for 12 months while i do the gap training. He said fine no problem.

So my application will be in the post as soon as I recieve a bankers draft. Fingers crossed that It will be ok.

Daz.

dobber;

you must be in Australia to do the A class license exams sorry to say mate. the quickest route is PEER in S/A you can do the distance learning course from the UK after you pay PEER they send all books to you also plenty of examples to work through from the work book.

when your confident you book into PEER for 2 days its all done & dusted in the one day, but some people like a day for revision, once passed the A class license exams you go to S/A licensing the same day with your pass paperwork, they they do all the required paperwork for you & they post the license to you about 10 days in all.

The A class license is registered in S/A so after 3 years when its due for renewal you simply register in the state your living in, Oh when your at the licensing in S/A you must have the license transferred to the state you intend to reside in it cost but well worth it all.

If you have any more questions or need help just myself or Stev'O in QLD or Wendy in S/A the 3 of us try to point people in the right direction, seeming we have been through all the crap to get the license via other routes, if we had known about PEER in the 1st place i can assure you Myself & Stev'O would have been at PEER right away.

all the very best to you.

Arthur in Melbourne

Guest Stephanie
Has anyone gone down the Gap training route with the log book and managed to get a placement?

I have a friend in Brissy who says he did 6 months at RTO and filled log book out while working as a trade ass. said it want to bad and pay was acouple of dollars less. Its just getting a job though now!!!

I have a friend in Brissy who says he did 6 months at RTO and filled log book out while working as a trade ass. said it want to bad and pay was acouple of dollars less. Its just getting a job though now!!!

Well im gonna try and leave my options open and go where ever I can get work in Qld. Not sure wether to go down the peer route to improve my chances but just wanted to see what sort of feed back from people that have done the gap training route.

Guest steve the spark
Well im gonna try and leave my options open and go where ever I can get work in Qld. Not sure wether to go down the peer route to improve my chances but just wanted to see what sort of feed back from people that have done the gap training route.

if you want to do it in brissie with a log book speak to chris at HomePage he runs his own rto, again its workbook by correspondance and a day at chris`s offices doing the exams, you will at exam stage have to had at least 4 months work in the old log book to enable him to sign you off, the other option is a local tafe ( college ) but to be honest its a non starter as the courses run feb to aug and if yu arrived in say march they would make you wait untill the next course

regards steve

if you want to do it in brissie with a log book speak to chris at HomePage he runs his own rto, again its workbook by correspondance and a day at chris`s offices doing the exams, you will at exam stage have to had at least 4 months work in the old log book to enable him to sign you off, the other option is a local tafe ( college ) but to be honest its a non starter as the courses run feb to aug and if yu arrived in say march they would make you wait untill the next course

regards steve

Cheers Steve, thanks for the info. Ill look into that, Im planning on moving over in October so give me plenty of time to sort things out. Im gonna try and get a placement before I leave the UK if not I think I may go down the peer route.

Regards

Stewart

Guest tommo66

Hi James

My first time on so forgive me if in wrong place etc.

I'm very interested in the way you've gone about things.

I'm at early stages and only just put papers in with vetassess.

What interests me initially is the fact you are on a holiday visa and have got the kids in school, is this the norm (would appreciate any info) or have you just got lucky.

We are in a fortunate position (fnancially) that when we sell up we too would like to do a 12 month holiday visa while waiting for 176 to come through. My kids are 12 and 9, we would only do the holiday visa if we new the kids could get schooling.

I would appreciate anybody's input on this matter, especially James.

Thanks tommo66

Guest Rod

Hello Arthur,

Please may you possibly give me an address for Peer(SA) - I plan to go the distance learning route from the UK whilst I'm waiting for my visa application - do you know if there is a time limit before you have to do the 'A' licience exam? cheers Rod

Guest steve the spark
Hello Arthur,

Please may you possibly give me an address for Peer(SA) - I plan to go the distance learning route from the UK whilst I'm waiting for my visa application - do you know if there is a time limit before you have to do the 'A' licience exam? cheers Rod

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

Rod, phone the people at PEER, they are fantastic people to deal with, once you sign up they send all books & workbook to your address even in the UK. do the work book & you shall be fine the only people that fail PEER are 2 types 1st they dont do the work book its as simple as that, 2nd the people who think they know it all & are lazy.??? if you get stuck on any questions then you email PEER an instructor shall reply they are very good.

the exams are over 2 days its all done in the 1 day but some like a day for revision, that's fine.

Once you pass you take your paperwork to the licensing dfept in S/A fill in the paperwork they post it to your home address about 10 days max.

If you live in another state you pay a fee for the state transfer, you hold the S/A A class license for 3 years when its to be renewed you simply renew in the state your residing in, how easy is that mate.

if you going to live in QLD have a look on British Ex pats site and post for Steve"O he is very good if you intend to live in S/A post for wendy she is also very good, if your living in victoria you can emal myself, all the best if we can help anymore just ask.

Info for PEER below

Kate Boneham

Client Services Coordinator

PEER VEET

1042 Port Road

Albert Park SA 5014

Phone +61 8 8348 1200

Fax +61 8 8348 1201

kate@peer.com.au

www.peer.com.au

Guest Rod

Thankyou very much Authur,you are a scholar & a gentleman - I plan to settle in QLD & have seen loads of Steve 'O's very informative posts - cheers Rod

Guest Daz & Claire
Rod, phone the people at PEER, they are fantastic people to deal with, once you sign up they send all books & workbook to your address even in the UK. do the work book & you shall be fine the only people that fail PEER are 2 types 1st they dont do the work book its as simple as that, 2nd the people who think they know it all & are lazy.??? if you get stuck on any questions then you email PEER an instructor shall reply they are very good.

the exams are over 2 days its all done in the 1 day but some like a day for revision, that's fine.

Once you pass you take your paperwork to the licensing dfept in S/A fill in the paperwork they post it to your home address about 10 days max.

If you live in another state you pay a fee for the state transfer, you hold the S/A A class license for 3 years when its to be renewed you simply renew in the state your residing in, how easy is that mate.

if you going to live in QLD have a look on British Ex pats site and post for Steve"O he is very good if you intend to live in S/A post for wendy she is also very good, if your living in victoria you can emal myself, all the best if we can help anymore just ask.

Info for PEER below

Kate Boneham

Client Services Coordinator

PEER VEET

1042 Port Road

Albert Park SA 5014

Phone +61 8 8348 1200

Fax +61 8 8348 1201

kate@peer.com.au

www.peer.com.au

How quick can Peer send the course work through the post.

We are flying out in 5 & 1/2 weeks and i would like to start before i get to queens.

Daz