Broadband in Aus?

LYNMACMD

Hi Folks,

Just been looking over the wonderful choice of Tv available on Foxtel and the thought occured to us of what speeds of internet access is common/possible around the country? Is it better and faster in the main cities as opposed to the rural areas?

Any information about providers, costs etc. would be most appreciated so we know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

Lyn

Thanks to both of you, love the comment re Wednesday as they are just down road from us here!

How do people manage who work from home with net!

Dont think they work from home at alot here. I have noticed that new land estates are being configured with tech packages

Its still slow tho and the foxtel not much cop only if you stay awke on a saturday nite to watch the live footy

Mally

My hubby is a techy and we have a 50 inch tv screen and a 100 inch projector screen link that up to BBC Iplayer? well thats his thoughts anyway

I heard that there is a problem with using BBCi Player in Oz as it is not Licensed for use outside of the UK. They can see where you are downloading from by checking your IP address (regional) So I think that the BBC Iplayer will be a No go Unfortunately...Sorry

What about 4OD?!?! I will be in Brisbane tomorrow and I want to be able to watch The IT Crowd on Saturday/Sunday over the 'net!! :noxmas:

And also, on the subject of broadband/wireless etc... if you have a wireless modem router here already, don't sell it/get rid of it. It will work in Australia even if your broadband providers don't give away one with your broadband package.

There are options so you can change the channel so you don't interfere with other signals in the area, and Australia has its own frequency band just like the UK and as I said, most will let you change it. And either way, wireless modem routers are not common there and are therefore far cheaper in the UK. So if you want one, get it now!

Any router should work with any Internet connection.

Good luck, happy browsing!

:winkxmas:

Guest claire&fred

Hi

We are in Perth, Kallaroo which is NOR. We use Bigpond Cable which we got though Telstra. We have no problem with our internet. Not as quick as the UK but it works just fine. I think it is one of those things that depends on where you are.

Claire

Hi

We are in Perth, Kallaroo which is NOR. We use Bigpond Cable which we got though Telstra. We have no problem with our internet. Not as quick as the UK but it works just fine. I think it is one of those things that depends on where you are.

Claire

We only live round the corner and have not got cable just adsl from smallpond:laughxmas:

Mally

Guest claire&fred
We only live round the corner and have not got cable just adsl from smallpond:laughxmas:

Mally

Ha ha. Think OH asked for Cable. Somehow we got it. I know you only live round the corner. Not very sociable are you?:tonguexmas:

Ha ha. Think OH asked for Cable. Somehow we got it. I know you only live round the corner. Not very sociable are you?:tonguexmas:

We are sociable, everytime we go round bridge in the motor I keep thinkin which one of these mansions do c & f live or is it that lady with the dodgy perm i`ve heard about:twitcy:

Mally

Bit confused by some of the comments like:

"And either way, wireless modem routers are not common there and are therefore far cheaper in the UK. So if you want one, get it now!"

"slower than the uk"

To give you some true indication..my brother, sisters, parents and I all have wireless routers. Almost everyone I know has a wireless router. A cheapie can be had for about 50 quid. I have had ADSL2+ speed for years (up to 24Mbps). Of course broadband speed depends on what type you get, how far you from the exchange etc. Maybe people are getting confused by this. We possibly have more black spots as our cities tend to spread many a mile and it takes a while to catch up.

I would recommend a plan like the Naked Dsl available from IINet.

For $59.95/month (24 pounds) you get:

* ADSL2+ broadband

* 8Gb downloads peak and 8Gb more off peak

* VOIP Phone service (just plug your handset into the router)

(Note this means you do not pay any line rental for your phone service)

* FREE local and national calls

* 5 cents/minute calls to the UK

* Free on demand replays of English Premier League games (does not count towards download limit)

* Free on demand replays of all ABC1 and ABC2 shows (does not count towards download limit) - Shows like the "The Bill" etc

We have had a wireless router here since they first appeared and paid $129 for it then but there are a a lot on the market now and cheaper.

I do not go for the fast service as we tried that and there is no difference in my opinion, only difference in speed is getting lots of ram.

Foxtel is ok we have platinum and have had it since it began, two set top boxes. However we do not go for flash teles as nothing on tele anywhere is worth paying a lot of dollars for to watch. :emoticon-signxmas:

I work from home sometimes and you will need to check whether the place you move to is wired for cable or adsl. the wireless routers from uk do work but again depends on whether you will need cable or adsl router. naked dsl and unwired are fine if you are not needing to use internet for calls - but wired internet connection adsl or cable is better if you are using skype, msn or any type of ip telephony. - (computer to make calls) the speed is high enough with cable to have reasonable conversations on the internet. i have big pond liberty - included a cable router (with wireless capability) and pay $79.95 a month - but as i say i use it for work.

• 1 month later...
Guest rainbow

Luke and Lyn,

sorry to hijack this thread, but we have a Buffalo wireless modem router WBMRKG54-i from the UK, and my hubby just can't get it going.

The router works internally, but we can't get an internet connection from bigpond. He has already changed the channel. He has filled in the paramenters from the bigpond website, but still can't connect to their server.

we are able to connect to bigpond only using their ADSL modem only.

Any thoughts? Many thanks

Guest rainbow
Luke and Lyn,

sorry to hijack this thread, but we have a Buffalo wireless modem router WBMRKG54-i from the UK, and my hubby just can't get it going.

The router works internally, but we can't get an internet connection from bigpond. He has already changed the channel. He has filled in the paramenters from the bigpond website, but still can't connect to their server.

we are able to connect to bigpond only using their ADSL modem only.

Any thoughts? Many thanks

Hubby has since got the wireless router working. he had put in the wrong user name! (missed out the .com after bigpond as their instructions didn't have the .com)

Archived