Some Sydney suburbs to avoid

Quoll

Guest nareyclan

OMG!! That is a scary read.

Some of those areas have come recommended to us as good areas to live. Just what I need more confusion!!

Thanks though Quoll, all info helps. If anyone else has any areas to avoid in Sydney it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hayley

• 1 year later...
Just in case anyone is going to Sydney - looks like the suburbs mentioned here would be good places to avoid.

These type of things happen once in a blue moon in suburbs such as Baulkham Hills and Glenwood. Baulkham Hills is a very good family suburb as is Glenwood. Lalor Park and Seven Hills are not so "upmarket" but shouldn't be discounted if that's what you can afford.

I was told that Carlingford Dundas and the places round there are not good by my Aussie friends, i have been to a few of them and I would not recommend them to anyone

Sorry

Carlingford has two parts to it. The really REALLY nice part and the pretty ordinary part.

Certainly not a bad suburb. Sometime people like to say bad stuff about other suburbs because they don't actually live their and prefer their own.

Just to list a few places around Carlingford....Epping, Beecroft, Castle Hill.....all EXCELLENT suburbs. Epping has one of the most sought after public schools in Sydney located in it.

Carlingford has the absolute top school in NSW located in it.

Like you said there r nice places everywhere but after talking my Aussie friends they have said these place do have nice areas but they would never live, and as for schools i dont think it matters where you live unless ur child is going private. I had a friend whos kid was an A1 student in the uk and is now not doing well at all, and that is to do with the school and what goes on there. Its not because we dont all live there we dont know the place, we dont need to when people who do there are telling you its not nice. word of mouth goes a long way

Honey, I know a number of people in Carlingford - it is generally a GOOD suburb. The schools are good - try looking up James Ruse State High School and Cheltenham School. They are not private schools, they are state schools. Just because a couple of people you know don't happen to like Carlingford, doesn't mean it's a bad suburb. Have you spent time there? Have you shopped regularly at Carlingford Court? Have you been to the local park with you kids? Have you walked your dog there?

You should not be stating an opinion on an area that YOU personally really don't know anything about. Giving people false information is not helpful.

Generally all the areas around there are really nice. They are leafy green suburbs with professional people living in them.

My OH's Grandmother lived in Carlingford/Dundas for her last 8 years and was never burgled once.

I mention this as she lived the other 84 years of her life on this earth in Cabramatta, when she had to regularly beat off the local mob with a pool cue when she found them pilfering silverware from her sideboard. Now that is a suburb I would suggest you thought twice about.

I mention this as she lived the other 84 years of her life on this earth in Cabramatta, when she had to regularly beat off the local mob with a pool cue when she found them pilfering silverware from her sideboard. Now that is a suburb I would suggest you thought twice about.

We went to a wedding reception in Cabramatta, and didn't feel particularly safe walking back to the car. Some of the people that my oh knows at work live up in Castle Hill/Cherrybrook area and say that they are both lovely family friendly areas. We haven't been there ourselves, however as we had already decided on Sutherland Shire before we came.

I finished work at 11pm last night in Goulburn St, got the train back to Central via the City Circle - glanced out at the Harbour Bridge with my usual astonishment at Circular Quay, came out at Central straight into the Royal Exhibition Hotel where I stayed until nearly 2am and walked back home up Elizabeth St past all the 24hr pubs and brothels. I feel safer here than in any of the outlying 'burbs'.

It's a 'funny' area, Surry HIlls, part mega trendy, part very working class, part commercial and I LOVE it! I saw a naked bloke sitting on the pavement outside my balcony and an OD on the path in front of the paper shop. But one of my neighbours is a tiny old lady of 92 who walks around safely.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Locksley

I think you will find those shootings were part of the Bikie gang warfare going on in Sydney.

They targeted specific houses and people.

Archived