All those who hate Australia!!

Lady Tottington

Hi everyone,

Well I was just wondering if all the people who hate Australia and want to move back to the UK actually visited the country before making the big move?

I am quite alarmed that so many people hate Oz and want to come back. We have been very fortunate enough to have visited Brisbane twice 10 weeks in all and it has taken us since Oct 2003 to April 2008 to make that massive life changing decision to apply and take the plunge.

We found Queensland a very beautiful part of the world, we loved the people, the scenery, the lifestyle ect ect oh and the weather was an added bonus.

I do find myself reading all these sad post’s of people been so unhappy and then question ‘oh my god will this happen to us??’ I really hope not, but who knows.

I do however feel so sorry for all those people that have not settled and want to come back but then there are post’s of people that have returned to the UK only to go back to Oz at a later date.

Love to here anyone’s experience.

Sam x

Well we are happy here but only my hubby had been to Australia before we arrived (he`d visited with his previous job). I would think that most people would visit before but those of us who don`t (well me certainly) had never done the holiday mode thing, so had nothing to compare it against living mode which to my mind is very different, which in turn perhaps meant I was more open to how different it was earning Ozzie dollars and living off it day to day. I think it`s more about expectations and not appreciating what you have in UK until you don`t have it (eg.family & friends) ultimately evreryone has different coping mechanisms.

Hi everyone,

Well I was just wondering if all the people who hate Australia and want to move back to the UK actually visited the country before making the big move?

I am quite alarmed that so many people hate Oz and want to come back. We have been very fortunate enough to have visited Brisbane twice 10 weeks in all and it has taken us since Oct 2003 to April 2008 to make that massive life changing decision to apply and take the plunge.

We found Queensland a very beautiful part of the world, we loved the people, the scenery, the lifestyle ect ect oh and the weather was an added bonus.

I do find myself reading all these sad post’s of people been so unhappy and then question ‘oh my god will this happen to us??’ I really hope not, but who knows.

I do however feel so sorry for all those people that have not settled and want to come back but then there are post’s of people that have returned to the UK only to go back to Oz at a later date.

Love to here anyone’s experience.

Sam x

Great post looking forward to hearing everyones reply

Hi,

I don't think any amounts of vists to oz can prepare you for a move here, its a life changing time and can be very different to what you have experienced whilst on hols & thought that life in oz maybe.

no one knows how they will feel once they are in oz permanetly & i have even seen grown men weep with emotions & not being happy in oz.

Someone could come over to oz on hols a 100 times but it can still be a complete kettle of fish for them once they move hereevent.png

We had never been here before, in fact I'd only ever left the u.k. once before emigrating!!! WE LOVE IT HERE IN PERTH, never going back to u.k.:yes:

Same goes...id never been here before in Oz, decided i wanted a change and emigrated here in Sydney...i love it and wouldnt return to the uk...hope many others are just as happy!!:goofy:

Hi,

I don't think any amounts of vists to oz can prepare you for a move here, its a life changing time and can be very different to what you have experienced whilst on hols & thought that life in oz maybe.

no one knows how they will feel once they are in oz permanetly & i have even seen grown men weep with emotions & not being happy in oz.

Someone could come over to oz on hols a 100 times but it can still be a complete kettle of fish for them once they move hereevent.png

Yeah, Stuju you are right in a way, migration to any country permanently is going to give you an emotional rollercoaster of a time. For me the reccie to the UK before we moved definitely did help!

Well we are happy here but only my hubby had been to Australia before we arrived (he`d visited with his previous job). I would think that most people would visit before but those of us who don`t (well me certainly) had never done the holiday mode thing, so had nothing to compare it against living mode which to my mind is very different, which in turn perhaps meant I was more open to how different it was earning Ozzie dollars and living off it day to day. I think it`s more about expectations and not appreciating what you have in UK until you don`t have it (eg.family & friends) ultimately evreryone has different coping mechanisms.

Hi

We came o perth blind as it was , we had intended on holidaying in Oz for my 50th but thought sod it we `ll just go . IF you are doing the rekky I woud you wou;d be better doing the mundane lookin at jobs etc travellin at peak times or the time you imagine to work loo at the burb of your choice atnight hoon spottin lol. My personal opinion is if you intend on emigratin you will have the rest of your lives to do the holiday **** sorry naughty word ubiquetous in oz for anything ,synonym stuff

Mally

hope the nice lady at Diac perth on Wed morn has not got the monthly blues lol

Yup, came for a 3 month holiday when I was a student and that was how I met the DH (he's an Aussie). Didnt live here for the first few years we were married - first went to PNG then back to UK before we ended up here.

I loved it for the first few years but once the finality of "this is it", "this is all there is" set in then the gloss wore off pretty quick smart so for the past 10 years or so I have become to dislike it more and more. So the first 15 - 20 were fine the last 10 or so have not been good at all.

Guest sunseekers

Hi All

We back packed for a year in 1999 and have not been back since. I know in a way its a holiday that year but we both always worked so its kinda half and half i suppose. We loved it and have wanted to return ever since but things have always got in the way.

Some of the negative posts i read on here are so far removed from what i remember that its either changed dramitically in the last ten years or im wearing some thick rose tinted specticles. Iv decided to give it a minimum of two years and if we are unhappy move back, cannot imagine that will be the case though.

I think some people who return after a few months have really not given it a fair go, its bound to take years not months to settle somewhere new.....

Anyhow each to there own, we are all diffrent and its a good job we are or this world would be very dull indeed.

Big hugs to everyone x x x

Guest littlesarah

I think that visiting a country on holiday is so different from living there that it will not fully prepare you for the day-to-day reality of making it your home. Work is work, there will always be bills to pay, and nowhere gives you anything for nothing.

Having said that, I spent a year in Australia; which I think helped give me chance to see what it's like travelling to work every day, how much things cost, etc. I reckon that a trip to find out whether you might like a country shouldn't be treated as a holiday in the conventional sense - it's about weighing up what things might be more to your liking.

I am amazed that people didn't think to investigate relative costs of things, and then post on here complaining about the cost of second-hand cars or groceries. I know I have the benefit of an Aussie husband & his family, but finding out about taxation, costs of various essentials & other day-to-day issues is worth doing before making the decision.

I'm not there yet, but after all the time, money & hassle it's taking to get there, I really don't want to come back to the UK!!

Sarah

Archived