bricky skills test

tony74

• 2 months later...
Guest fuzzbox

Yes definatly is februaury as my husband is doing it. We submitted our papers 2 days late (due to our agent missing the deadline notification) and he still got in in feb. Its on the 20th in London, his friend is doing it too !! Hope you get on ok,,if not the next one is in march and the deadline is sometime in early february chack out the vetassess web site and check it daily as they update it at short notice

...good luck

Lisa xx :smile:

Yes definatly is februaury as my husband is doing it. We submitted our papers 2 days late (due to our agent missing the deadline notification) and he still got in in feb. Its on the 20th in London, his friend is doing it too !! Hope you get on ok,,if not the next one is in march and the deadline is sometime in early february chack out the vetassess web site and check it daily as they update it at short notice

...good luck

Lisa xx :smile:

Hi Guys, I done my vettasses (brickie) last october and if anyone needs any help please let me know.

Andy

Hi Guys, I done my vettasses (brickie) last october and if anyone needs any help please let me know.

Andy

Did you take the test with your good trowel, or that one were the handle spins round andy?:biglaugh:nah,serious....the lads got to go from sheffield to london to take the test! are'nt the tests regionalised? im made up i got the application in before all this come in mate,i tell yer,pain in the arse

Did you take the test with your good trowel, or that one were the handle spins round andy?:biglaugh:nah,serious....the lads got to go from sheffield to london to take the test! are'nt the tests regionalised? im made up i got the application in before all this come in mate,i tell yer,pain in the arse

I dont use a trowel pabs I use a shovel or at least thats what people think I have used when I have finished.Honestly some of my brickworks so rough i could climb up it!:biglaugh:

No its strange because when i done my assessment there were people from Portsmouth and also from Lincolnshire. But I suppose you only have to do the journey once and it is worth it in the end. andy

I dont use a trowel pabs I use a shovel or at least thats what people think I have used when I have finished.Honestly some of my brickworks so rough i could climb up it!:biglaugh:

No its strange because when i done my assessment there were people from Portsmouth and also from Lincolnshire. But I suppose you only have to do the journey once and it is worth it in the end. andy

I hope so mate,we booked flights for a recce leaving 19th april, coming back may 15th,decent deal with dialaflight plus car hire for the above dates £2,100,we only done it because we have to validate by june,and we thought the hse wouldnt sell before then anyway,in view of what everyones saying i had got my head round just having a recce and maybe hanging on till next yr,then the ####### phone goes and we have a viewing saturday!!!! dont know what to do for the best if we do get an offer,heads up my proverbial mate

I dont use a trowel pabs I use a shovel or at least thats what people think I have used when I have finished.Honestly some of my brickworks so rough i could climb up it!

hi Andy

when i did mine i was working in london at the time, but i live in the midlands, so on the night before the test i drove from london to the midlands, then up to accrington stayed in a freezing b&b, the bar had only cans and none on tap, but the best bit was they said on the phone when i booked that they would do a sandwich to take out in the morning with me and when i opened it at the college there was no egg, no sausage, and it was dripping in butter, all on a day that you want everything to go right :biglaugh:

mind you the test was ok , but then had to drive back home ready for the drive south again the next day !!!!!!!!!!!

yeh i can understand why people look forward to these tests so much :biglaugh:

Daz

I hope so mate,we booked flights for a recce leaving 19th april, coming back may 15th,decent deal with dialaflight plus car hire for the above dates £2,100,we only done it because we have to validate by june,and we thought the hse wouldnt sell before then anyway,in view of what everyones saying i had got my head round just having a recce and maybe hanging on till next yr,then the ####### phone goes and we have a viewing saturday!!!! dont know what to do for the best if we do get an offer,heads up my proverbial mate

Hi Pablo, where are you going on your reece? If you get a decent offer bite there hands off and get over there asap, dont listen to to much negative hype. andy

hi Andy

when i did mine i was working in london at the time, but i live in the midlands, so on the night before the test i drove from london to the midlands, then up to accrington stayed in a freezing b&b, the bar had only cans and none on tap, but the best bit was they said on the phone when i booked that they would do a sandwich to take out in the morning with me and when i opened it at the college there was no egg, no sausage, and it was dripping in butter, all on a day that you want everything to go right :biglaugh:

mind you the test was ok , but then had to drive back home ready for the drive south again the next day !!!!!!!!!!!

yeh i can understand why people look forward to these tests so much

Daz

Hello daz, how r ya, Maybe they thought you had eaten enough egg and sausage sandwiches before and were looking out for your waistline.:biglaugh:

No I must admit before I done the assessment I was as nervous as I have ever been before. andy

Hi Pablo, where are you going on your reece? If you get a decent offer bite there hands off and get over there asap, dont listen to to much negative hype. andy

adelaide mate,yeah i know what your saying,BUT im 46,was hoping to pack in at 60 ( bricklayings got me back done in now with sciatica and been going regular to the osteo since i was 24 )i reckon i can pack in at 60 here,mortgage paid etc,( 2nd one,gave my first hse to my x wife 8 yrs ago )but from what ive seen of oz hse prices ,i might end up with a bigger mortgage and have to work longer to pay it off,and IF it didnt work out over there and our equity ended up going on bills ,cars etc ,i would be coming home at 47 without a carrot!your probably younger than me andy (most people are! )but believe me,it DOES make you worry a bit more when your my age,if i was 26 or 36 i wouldnt even worry a jot,but....,im probably still going though,just need to do some maths on oz mortgages,wages etc, AND establish there is work there when we go on recce,cheers though andy

Hello daz, how r ya, Maybe they thought you had eaten enough egg and sausage sandwiches before and were looking out for your waistline.:biglaugh:

No I must admit before I done the assessment I was as nervous as I have ever been before. andy

never mind the waist line !!!!!! look what all that butter did to me !!!!!!

BodyBuilder.jpg

adelaide mate,yeah i know what your saying,BUT im 46,was hoping to pack in at 60 ( bricklayings got me back done in now with sciatica and been going regular to the osteo since i was 24 )i reckon i can pack in at 60 here,mortgage paid etc,( 2nd one,gave my first hse to my x wife 8 yrs ago )but from what ive seen of oz hse prices ,i might end up with a bigger mortgage and have to work longer to pay it off,and IF it didnt work out over there and our equity ended up going on bills ,cars etc ,i would be coming home at 47 without a carrot!your probably younger than me andy (most people are! )but believe me,it DOES make you worry a bit more when your my age,if i was 26 or 36 i wouldnt even worry a jot,but....,im probably still going though,just need to do some maths on oz mortgages,wages etc, AND establish there is work there when we go on recce,cheers though andy

Hi Mate, yes I am 37 and still worry. But good luck to you mate, I will be looking out for regular updates when you do you recci. andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest claire9592

Andy

Hi Andy

My partner is doing his test next week in Accrington, we have heard from various people about what he has to build but it woudl be really kind of you if you can set his mind at ease and run through roughtly what you had to do.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Guest shell'n'ste

Hi all

These tests could be a scam ya know Im a steel erector, they'll have me putting a frame up and you lot the wall around, selling it off and making a mint haha

all the best lads

Ste

hi there i also have just got the ball rolling and are waiting for my vet test to come through i have been told you have to do acavity wall to a window opening, an arch, a fireplace and chimney breast and a english bond brick pier hope this helps dont know how long you get to do it or where it will happen ,

Andy

hi Andy how long does it take to do the test

chers Andy

Hi Andy, It all depends on how fast you are, I was done by 3 oclock along with a couple of other lads, and then we had to wait while they examined it and then we knocked our work down and cleared up, I got away about 4 oclock, there was still a couple of lads working when we left. When is your date?

hi Andy not got date yet only just started the long haul

we are using go matida agents and they have only told me what i have to do they said a cavity wall to a window return, an arch, a fireplace and chimney and a english brick bond pier. did you have to do all four or is it one or two from four or what???

cheers Andy

hi Andy not got date yet only just started the long haul

we are using go matida agents and they have only told me what i have to do they said a cavity wall to a window return, an arch, a fireplace and chimney and a english brick bond pier. did you have to do all four or is it one or two from four or what???

cheers Andy

I had to do a cavity corner and a one and a half bick pier. the practical work is pretty straight forward, but they do ask you questions on different aspects of trade which can catch you out!

ok what sort of things did they ask you

i have run my own building company for 20 years and have learnt brickwork along the way i was taught by an old guy that did all my brickwork but as you know they dont tell you everything

i sent my cv to go matilda and they rekoned this is the trade i should apply for, dont get me wrong i can use the trowel but was never college trained so dont wanna go there and mess it all up

Andy

ok what sort of things did they ask you

i have run my own building company for 20 years and have learnt brickwork along the way i was taught by an old guy that did all my brickwork but as you know they dont tell you everything

i sent my cv to go matilda and they rekoned this is the trade i should apply for, dont get me wrong i can use the trowel but was never college trained so dont wanna go there and mess it all up

Andy

Hi andy, will pm you some info

• 3 weeks later...
Guest phils

hi there i need some help i am a bricklayer moving to brisbane and need to do my test what is it like and is it easy

Archived