criminal record history to declare

loubylou475

Hi all, we've decided to go through the visa application without an agent. Just got to the 'declaration of any convictions' part.... my naughty OH got done for drink-driving in 1996 (morning-after scenario, worried may return to haunt him!) wondered if anyone has had a similar dilema, my gut feeling is to declare all but even though its 13 yrs ago I'm worried it may jeopardise our application. The offence is not applicable on his driver's license after 10 yrs but not sure if it remains on his records. Nothing else to declare!!!! Should I check with the police?

Lou.x

Please declare it - it will be on his police records and too much of a risk if ever they find out you have not been open - it is easily dealt with though usually people just send a statement saying what the circumstances were and promising never to do it again all they re looking for is to protect the people of Australia and if you look at DIAC regarding character assessment it should put your mind at rest that your partner doesnt fall ino the category of not fulfilling the requirements! also do a search on here for criminal convictions

Guest pixie_duzt2003@hotmail.co

hiya loubylou, im not sure how much this will help but my fiance has just applied for his working holiday visa and declared his drink driving offence which was only two years ago, we were just asked to provide the date of the conviction what the punishment was so to speak and that was that and he got his visa the next day, im not sure if this would apply to your visa, but from what i have read on here,honesty is the best policy!

Hi all, we've decided to go through the visa application without an agent. Just got to the 'declaration of any convictions' part.... my naughty OH got done for drink-driving in 1996 (morning-after scenario, worried may return to haunt him!) wondered if anyone has had a similar dilema, my gut feeling is to declare all but even though its 13 yrs ago I'm worried it may jeopardise our application. The offence is not applicable on his driver's license after 10 yrs but not sure if it remains on his records. Nothing else to declare!!!! Should I check with the police?

Lou.x

hello lou, i was granted my 136 visa last year,it will be on his record, declare it. it wont jeopardise your visa, for my shame i was convicted of the same offence twice back in the eighties and as i say i got my visa. dont worry, you will be ok. good luck

Thanks. Rocki, slightly jealous that you've escaped this gorgeous part of the country for Secret Harbour! Hope to be close behind you. You'll be pleased to know its still frosty just south of Sheffield at 9.40 am! And the whole of South Yorks have got the flu!

Loubylou

Guest claire&fred

Hi, I remember asking this question on PIO.

My OH has a criminal record. He was caught taking spotlights off cars, however he was the getaway driver and was done for it. He was fined. This was 18 years ago and came up on his police check. We got our Visa. In fact he has applied for the police force here and admitted his crime and was accepted.

Claire

Guest austibeach

I was interested to come across this thread, as it is something I have been trying to deal with for the last few days. I was also convicted of a drink/driving charge a very long time ago. I have declared it quite openly on my application as I know it will be no bar to receiving a visa. The bigger problem I have is a conviction that I incurred about 31/32 years ago, which although I know might seem strange to most people, but I simply can't remember what the charge was, when it was, or what the fine was. I have had a chat to a police officer friend of mine who suggested I get in touch with the Criminal Records Bureau. I would consider paying for a Police Check do be done now, but I'm not sure they will provide one if it is not requested by an employer or DIAC ; or some such authority. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome as it's become a minor obstacle in getting our application submitted.

Eric.

Guest Kid Kutz

Anything over 5 years ago or not having a custodial sentence should be fine. I found myself in fairly bad trouble with the police when i was younger, but didn't get a custodial sentence. Infact when i got to Perth and was going through the details with immigration, the women was really friendly, and told me it was nothing to worry about and that we were all young once !!!

" I would consider paying for a Police Check do be done now, but I'm not sure they will provide one if it is not requested by an employer or DIAC ;"

If you go online to your local constabulary, it should give you details on how to get a police check done. But all that will happen is that you will have to fill in a form that gets sent to the sentral criminal database people at new scotland yard. So you dont have to do one for each area you've lived in. It's really easy, not that expensive but does take a long time to process.

:embarrassed:

I was interested to come across this thread, as it is something I have been trying to deal with for the last few days. I was also convicted of a drink/driving charge a very long time ago. I have declared it quite openly on my application as I know it will be no bar to receiving a visa. The bigger problem I have is a conviction that I incurred about 31/32 years ago, which although I know might seem strange to most people, but I simply can't remember what the charge was, when it was, or what the fine was. I have had a chat to a police officer friend of mine who suggested I get in touch with the Criminal Records Bureau. I would consider paying for a Police Check do be done now, but I'm not sure they will provide one if it is not requested by an employer or DIAC ; or some such authority. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome as it's become a minor obstacle in getting our application submitted.

Eric.

Just go down to your local copshop and they will give you the forms it only costs you a Tenner for them to check! Well worth it!!!

Anything over 5 years ago or not having a custodial sentence should be fine. I found myself in fairly bad trouble with the police when i was younger, but didn't get a custodial sentence. Infact when i got to Perth and was going through the details with immigration, the women was really friendly, and told me it was nothing to worry about and that we were all young once !!!

" I would consider paying for a Police Check do be done now, but I'm not sure they will provide one if it is not requested by an employer or DIAC ;"

If you go online to your local constabulary, it should give you details on how to get a police check done. But all that will happen is that you will have to fill in a form that gets sent to the sentral criminal database people at new scotland yard. So you dont have to do one for each area you've lived in. It's really easy, not that expensive but does take a long time to process.

:embarrassed:

Anyone can go into their local police station and request a criminal records check. Take in some ID, fill in their form and pay them £10 for the priviledge and 6-8 weeks later it should arrive on your door step :yes:

All the best everyone

Zoe xx

My Hubby was caught stealing 40 years ago on two seperate occasions, but he never mentioned it to me, cause he went to court and paid a fine, so of course when we had the police checks backs there was a live trace on his, which as you can imagine, i was NOT HAPPY, but he assumed it would have been forgotten, after this length of time. Declare everything as it might come back and bite you

Tania X

My Hubby was caught stealing 40 years ago on two seperate occasions, but he never mentioned it to me, cause he went to court and paid a fine, so of course when we had the police checks backs there was a live trace on his, which as you can imagine, i was NOT HAPPY, but he assumed it would have been forgotten, after this length of time. Declare everything as it might come back and bite you

Tania X

I don't blame him Tania, somethings are better forgotten, its terrible to think that you have to keep paying even after 40 years (even if it is just a reference to it on paperwork) . The coppers should be a bit more humane, surely the debt has been paid!

Guest John Sydney

I find it strange that if your record is clean for 40 years they still keep the record. In Australia most crimes are wiped after about 10 years. Except for crimes where the jail sentence was 5 or more years

Guest austibeach

As I said in my previous post, even I have forgotten the details of the charge. After 30 or 40 years of trying so hard to forget what was in actual fact a relatively trivial incident, I have managed to forget, shame the police records office can't do the same. However, in order to keep on the right side of DIAC I will of course declare all.

Eric.

:spinny:

Thanks. Rocki, slightly jealous that you've escaped this gorgeous part of the country for Secret Harbour! Hope to be close behind you. You'll be pleased to know its still frosty just south of Sheffield at 9.40 am! And the whole of South Yorks have got the flu!

Loubylou

Lol Loubylou whenever homesickness hits which it des do with surprising regularity a the moment I think of everyone in my old office with the sniffles reinfecting each other looking out on grey skys- for your information we have just had some lovely weather here but it is now raining and going to be all week (its still spring)however you can guarentee the sun will come out at some point each day and it is forcast to be sunny at the weekend so get packing your sunnies grade 3!!!!!!

As for petty offences showing up from 30-40 years ago this is really not good practice of the police to keep such info on their Data bases and they have been held to task for it in recent years as I recall- there is also a rehabilitation of offenders act in the uk which is long over due a review to bring it up to date but it does give time limits as to how long it is before convictions are considered spent.:arghh:it makes me so mad that peope in the uk are branded for life if they put one small foot wrong what chance do people have of true rehabilitation when this is the case? Honestly!

• 9 months later...
Guest shreerz

looking at this can anyone help me.....

My other half was a naughty boy in holland (damaged someone's car), he was arrested and fined we don't know if he has a record there as the letter was all dutch (and has been lost as it was 13 years ago).

He wasn't a resident and we have no idea how to find out

Do we need to declare it? how can we find out if he has a record?

eek is this is a spanner in the works?

Archived