Diagnosed with anxiety AFTER medicals and police checks have already been sent

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me with this...

I am really suffering with anxiety issues at the moment and I really think I need a little help to try and calm myself. I have been struggling since the birth of my first child a few months ago and several things have happened to me over the past year that have lead to me having panic attacks - although pretty mild - and general anxiety issues. Its nothing major at the moment but I want to see my GP now and get some medication.

The thing is, we have had our medicals and police checks have all been sent away so we are basically waiting for our visa to see if it is granted or not. I am not the main applicant either, and I will be looking after our baby when we get to Oz therefore not working anyway so its not like a diagnosis will stop me from doing anything I was going to be doing anyway...

Sorry to babble on....

The main question is, do I have to inform the DIAC and will it affect our visa being granted?

If so, I will just have to go and buy more Kalms. We have been over so many hurdles getting to this stage that it would be awful for my nerves to ruin our chances at the end of it all...

Thanks for reading and any responses :goofy:

now, I really hope I dont get a backlash of comments over this, but I personally wouldn't tell DIAC, it isn't something that will cost Australia money for healthcare like for example cancer or serious disease (not that I am belittling it in anyway).

I would just see your doc and relax until your visa comes through. Others may disagree but i wouldn't declare it.

Guest slipshot
now, I really hope I dont get a backlash of comments over this, but I personally wouldn't tell DIAC, it isn't something that will cost Australia money for healthcare like for example cancer or serious disease (not that I am belittling it in anyway).

I would just see your doc and relax until your visa comes through. Others may disagree but i wouldn't declare it.

Completely agree with the welsh peeps - no need to say anything...

Guest Redaussies

Hi and I hope your feeling a bit better. This is a personal answer to a problem, but here's what I would do.

I'd concentrate on getting myself feeling better and well and 100% again. I would say nothing. You have done your medicals and presumably they have all been fine. You may be suffering from a temporary condition, caused by the anxiety or stress of the whole migration process and thoughts. Obviously if things were to get progressivly worse then that's a different matter and you may have to reconsider. Its impossible to calculate the amount of people suffering from anxiety and stress, but the percentage of people throughout the country is much higher than official figures show and also far greater than people realise. But PERSONALLY (just my opinion) I'd leave things as they are for now and concentrate on getting yourself in top shape.

Good Luck,

REDDERS

I have to say that if you go to your GP and he diagnoses depression it will be on your medical records and may bite you on the bum in the future.

Have you thought about a few counselling sessions, these would be preferable to medication and may resolve the problem you have without medical intervention

Hi, I don't know the answer as to if it will affect your visa, but could make a recommendation......I suffered really badly with anxiety about 2 years ago, after my eldest son was very unwell, he was ill for about 5 months and it took about 3 weeks for the hospital to find out what was wrong with him. During those 3 weeks there were lots of possibilities, the most frightening being Leukaemia. Thankfully he did not have that, but was still pretty poorley (with Osteomeilitis ) Anyhow, after a stressful few months we finally got the all clear and were told we could stop his treatment. You would think that everything would be great after that....however once we calmed down after the initial euphoria, I started to feel really ill. I would shake, be sick, be unable to eat, couldn't sleep, I would feel faint and panicky..etc etc. Finally went to doctors and he told me I was suffering from depression and perscribed anti depressants. I however didn't think I was depressed and never took and medication. A few days later and I was getting worse and worse. My husband didn't know what to do with me and was frustrated and angry with me at times which just made me feel worse. I had by now lost a lot of weight and didn't know what to do to help myself. I didn't want to go out, but staying on my own frightened me. My family were v concerned and frightened ( all this was v out of charactor for me) My mum took me back to docs who gave me med to knock me out for 48 hours, hoping sleep was what was needed. Didn't help, so I eventually gave in and went on antidepressants. I wouldn't say they had no effect, as they sort of numbed everything and made me feel very lethargic. However I was still suffering with, what I now know to be panic attacks.

Was so frightened that I would never feel like myself again and I felt very alone as no one really understood how I was feeling. I think that as you can't physically see a panic attack it makes it hard to believe how terrible and scared it can make you feel.

In desperation one day I looked through the yellow pages, trying to find alternative therapies that might help. I came across an advert for a hypnotherapist who advertised it could help with anxiety. I phoned her and she sounded really nice, so I arranged an appointment. All I can say is this. I suffered for months trying 'conventional methods' and felt little effect. After the first session I felt calmer-she taught me techniques to use anywhere to calm me down. I had a tape of each session I went to, that I used at home. The anxiety quickly faded and I only ever needed 3 sessions. That was 2 years ago. If I ever feel anxiety creeping up on me I get out my tapes and listen for a few days and feel fine again. I would highly recommend trying hypnotherapy as an alternative if you are concerned about it affecting your visa. I can understand your concern, I am a little unsure as to how it will affect our chances......... Apoligies for the length of this response, and the very best of luck with everything. Amanda x

wow - Thanks for the replies! I agree that I would just keep it to myself but as kdyer12 says, it would be on my medical records which is concerning me a bit but then again, the medicals are done and away...

Amanda - that you soooo much for sharing with me... I think the stuff that has happened over the past year, although nothing like what you must have gone through - glad everything worked out! - must have taken its toll and it is only now that things just seem to be coming to a head with respect to my anxiety. You are so right that no one can really understand what it is like without feeling like this themselves and people just want you to get a grip when you really cant although that is what you want too. I have had a few hypnotherapy sessions but they ended up costing too much so I had to stop. I still have recordings of the sessions so maybe it is worth while starting up with them again. I never thought of that. Maybe I will try this until the visa (hopefully) is granted and if its no better, Iwill go to GP.

THanks guys xxxx

Hi, I suffer from post natal depression since having my little girl 15 months ago now. My advice would be to go for some councelling through your GP it will probably be CBT councelling, or cognative behavioural therapy (hope i spelt that right). I had that at the start of my treatment and it was a great help to me. although i had to go on to phsycotheraphy because i had problems from childhood which reared it's ugly head, i think the stress of the move has a big part to play with it all. I went for my medicals last week and the doctor there said that because i have already had my treatment then it shouldnt be a problem because all Australia wants to be sure of is that you wont be a burden on their NHS or what ever they have over there. But i would agree with all the others, if your medicals are already gone, i wouldnt say anything. At the end of the day, your not going to be a burden to them. I have tried ST. JOHN'S WORT, for anxiety issues that i had about 6 years ago and i thought they were great, and they are a natural remedy so maybe you could try that.

Hope you get sorted out and get yourself back on track.

Karen xx

Hi there,

Your medical has gone off, so I would go to my dr and see what he/she says. It could be that your suffering from postnatal depression. Lots of women suffer after having a baby, so your not going to be a big drain on the australian health system.

Do you ever get a break from the baby (time to yourself), do you get out of the house. I felt depressed being housebound after my baby, also was very sick for months. I turned into a very stressed grumpy women.

I have started yoga, and its great. Im learning to relax.

Also ask for help. Im sure there are plenty of people around you that wouldnt mind helping you out more.

Counselling is a good recomendation also.

Look after your mental health, so you can start a great life over in Oz.

Best of luck.

Kind Regards

Caz

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi everyone,

I began to suffer anxiety and panic attacks about 8 years ago which eventually led to mild agrophobia, I took anti-d for 6 months and felt better I had a relapse 2 years later and returned to the anti-d pills for 6 months - I stopped them after a very grumpy locum told me " you can't be happy all the time" obviously he had no idea that I just wanted to feel normal.

In the main I've been ok since because I chnaged careers and now have a very demanding job which is what i need (strange I know but I can't handle not being busy & in control).

Anyhow I had a few counselling sessions which were great - it's good to know that you're not mad or bad just slightly unwell.

A friend who suffered several bouts of PND and was prescribed anti-d pills successfully got over it with group CBD (cognitive behavioural therapy). She found it strange at first as she felt she couldn't relate to any of the people in the group and was embarassed to talk in front of others but it really helped her.

Anyway I just wanted to say you're not alone it's far more common than people realise but depression/anxiety are still viewed as dirty words.

Go to your GP get the help you need but remember the pills will help short term but long term counselling is far more effective.

I always have some Bach's Rescue Remedy with me as it's great for just taking off the edge if I get the wobbles.

Personally I wouldn't say anything to DIAC, you wouldn't tell them if you had flu/chickenpox etc. this isn't a long term chronic condition that will cause you to be an expensive drain on Oz health service.

It's my opinion and apologies if i've trodden on any toes

Lisa

Can I recommend a website to you?

It is totally free and I was told about it by a counsellor last year when I was suffering from depression.

It is called www (dot) livinglifetothefull (dot) com

Very helpful and it really will make a lifelong change! It is run by mental health professionals in Scotland, very safe. No cranks, no sales or anything. Do give it a try. They will even provide some personal mentoring for a few weeks if you want it.

PM me if you want any more advice.

It's upto you to decide if you tell the panel Dr. of your change in medical circumstances. Whilst Anxiety is often a temporary condition, if left untreated it can turn into a prolonged and chronic illness (as can depression) effecting many aspects of your life. Whilst it's medication in part is helpful, as people have suggested some CBT or anxiety management may help you. Private sessions here in Aus are quite expensive.

We use alot of the rescources available from the centre for clinical interventions. Have a look at www.cci.health.wa.gov.au and follow the links for the work books - there's one for anxiety. have a go at this yourself first

Ali

You are not alone and its not for ever anyway. I like Monkeymadness had to deal with my daughters brain cancer and when things settled down after here treatment and she went into remission I completely broke down physically and mentally and they say it was due to the stress. Also at the time I had to deal with my best friend whose daughter had taken her life at 25 not a good time.

I got treatment, drugs and counselling here in Aus you can get excellent treatment now and I am fine again and on top of the world.

The main thing is get well look after yourself don't self medicate.

Good luck I am sure it will make no difference whatsoever.

Archived