Certified Copies

markstott1980

Guest HappyBunny
Who signs a certified copy and what do they put on it? Can it be a civil servant, policeman, or even an Offshor Installation Manager?

It has to be someone 'official' and from memory there is a specific wording that needs to go on each document. The easiest way is to go to a solicitor, there is a small fee but it's usually the quickest and easiest way to get it sorted. x

Guest The Hoys hoping.........

Or your local bank manager, a teacher, policeman or nurse can certify the documents too :-)

Guest slipshot

Our migration agents advised the the DIAC are strict on what they allow and it was restricted to a JP, notary, solicitor or magistrate. Thus we went with solicitor (and did deal for 20 items to be certified for a flat cost of £15).

Not sure why he would advise that unless he knows something or there have been issues in the past.

Hi

Diac website says documents can be certified according to the law of the country in which you reside

Information to Help Prepare your Application

the list of those who can coutersign a passport application is a good reference

Who can countersign my application? - Identity and Passport Service

I got some documents certified at the bank yesterday when I went to get my foreign bank draft to pay the TRA. They didn't charge me.

Nicky

• 6 months later...
Guest Dazza1k

Hi,

I took the trouble of emailing the Australian High Commission in London to clarify the situation on who can certify documents. Below is the question I asked, followed by the table they sent in response to my question.

Question

'Please could you confirm if Police Officers or Bank Managers can certify copies of original documents, and if so, what exactly they need to write to certify each copy?

The response from joebloggs@dfat.gov.au

Dear Darren,

Thank you for your enquiry. Only the following people in the UK and Ireland can certify documents for Australian visas:

Australian Terminology Practising lawyer, Magistrate, Public notary, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declaration, Position/agency recognised by the law of country to certify documents. UK Solicitor, Magistrate, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Oaths, Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits. IRELAND Solicitor, Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, Peace Commissioner.

Please note:

• In Scotland a Councillor may also certify documents.

• A Registered Migration Agent may certify copies of original documents for visa applications they make on behalf of clients.

They will need to certify that the document is a true copy of the original and sign, date and stamp the document also if they have an official stamp.

HI , Our solicitor did the photo copying and stamped & signed ours. Must have had 30/ 40 copies done, maybe more and they charged us £5 !!! So don't be put off thinking they will charge the earth, it's worth asking .

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I took the trouble of emailing the Australian High Commission in London to clarify the situation on who can certify documents. Below is the question I asked, followed by the table they sent in response to my question.

Question

'Please could you confirm if Police Officers or Bank Managers can certify copies of original documents, and if so, what exactly they need to write to certify each copy?

The response from joebloggs@dfat.gov.au

Dear Darren,

Thank you for your enquiry. Only the following people in the UK and Ireland can certify documents for Australian visas:

Australian Terminology Practising lawyer, Magistrate, Public notary, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declaration, Position/agency recognised by the law of country to certify documents. UK Solicitor, Magistrate, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Oaths, Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits. IRELAND Solicitor, Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, Peace Commissioner.

Please note:

• In Scotland a Councillor may also certify documents.

• A Registered Migration Agent may certify copies of original documents for visa applications they make on behalf of clients.

They will need to certify that the document is a true copy of the original and sign, date and stamp the document also if they have an official stamp.

Hi there,

does the following line:

** Position/agency recognised by the law of country to certify documents **

mean that I can approach anyone with the occupation from the list at the following website:

I am a UK Citizen.

I hope somebody can help because i am getting really confused with this.

Thanks.

Hi there,

does the following line:

** Position/agency recognised by the law of country to certify documents **

mean that I can approach anyone with the occupation from the list at the following website:

I am a UK Citizen.

I hope somebody can help because i am getting really confused with this.

Thanks.

The passport service is a completely different kettle of fish. I am a civil servant and I can sign your passport picture and you police check picture but I can not sign for Stat Dec etc, shame really as I could have just asked my work colleagues.:wub:

Hi

I went to a local solicitor and took all the documents with me there must have been about 40, and he certified them all for free - how lucky was I - I bought them a big tin of chocs to say thanks :)

Rebecca

Hi

I went to a local solicitor and took all the documents with me there must have been about 40, and he certified them all for free - how lucky was I - I bought them a big tin of chocs to say thanks :)

Rebecca

thats great - wish i had a solicitor around here that would do that!! this certifying lark is not cheap :mad:

Guest JoeBloggs80

I get confused with all this stuff too.

Sounds like going to a solicitor is the easiest way to get it done to be sure its correct.

Archived