Increase in home owner grant

steve/helen

Hi Does anyone know if i would be entitled to the increase of the home owner grant.I entered into a building contract 3 weeks ago.It says the changes to the grant are effective immediately and will apply to all contracts entered into by the 30 th june 2009.But doesnt say anything about if you entered into a contract before today,i was about to fill in the forms for the grant today when the increase was announced on the news,so im unsure where i stand.Any info would be gratefully appreciated.Many thanks Helen:cute:

Guest nicolasteve

Hi

Is this just an increase in the grant for people who r building? Or is it for people who r buying a property which is already built too?? Any info appreciated.

Nic

Hi

Is this just an increase in the grant for people who r building? Or is it for people who r buying a property which is already built too?? Any info appreciated.

Nic

For a property that is already built, for contracts entered into within the next twelve months, the grant is doubled to $14,000. After that period, not sure if it reverts back to $7000?

Jo

Guest BullcreekBob

The increase from $7K to $14K for an existing house and $21K for a new build applies to offers to purchase signed between yesterday and 30/6/09. At that point things may revert to the $7K level or they may be reduced gradually - nothing has been said yet.

Guest linziloo

We entered into a contract a few weeks back too and are still waiting to find out if we have been approved. The extra money would be nice but i dont think we will qualify...

We will have to keep our fingers crossed!:skeptical:

The increase from $7K to $14K for an existing house and $21K for a new build applies to offers to purchase signed between yesterday and 30/6/09. At that point things may revert to the $7K level or they may be reduced gradually - nothing has been said yet.

Is this Australia Wide or just applicable to certain States??? We are just agreeing to settle in 6-weeks time, but if we were able to get this Xtra would move it forward to pay off the Lease & hubby could get his ham string fixed... So could we get it? Could we??? X

Is this Australia Wide or just applicable to certain States??? We are just agreeing to settle in 6-weeks time, but if we were able to get this Xtra would move it forward to pay off the Lease & hubby could get his ham string fixed... So could we get it? Could we??? X

:cry: Answering my own post..... through my tears.... CAN'T BELIEVE IT! NO! NO! NO!

It would have been fairer if they'd said from the date you apply for the First Home Buyers Grant... So if you're putting in an offer today October 15th, 2008 & you qualify for the First Home Buyer's Grant you'll get twice as much as if you'd put it in last week....

Do I tell my OH...??? Really gutted.... :cry:

We are on a 163 visa (business, temporary, 4 year) and we are having a house built. we are not eligible for the grant because we are not permanent residents.

What i would like to know is, when we get permanent residency, if we then buy or build another home will we be able to call that our first home and claim the grant.:arghh:

Paul

We are on a 163 visa (business, temporary, 4 year) and we are having a house built. we are not eligible for the grant because we are not permanent residents....What i would like to know is, when we get permanent residency, if we then buy or build another home will we be able to call that our first home and claim the grant....Paul

I don't think so - not if I've read it all correctly - we can never have owned a property in Australia, ever... But you only benefit at the bottom end of the market, I don't think you get it (least we weren't last week, if we were paying over $350K - so you're probably out of the ball park anyway?)

I know the Business Visa is not a barrel of laughs - you're a stronger man than me to be here on that one... However, this is partly why the 136/Permanent Residency visa is so hard fought for and why it costs more &/or is harder to get - as they used to say (somewhere) Membership has its Privileges...

If you want to benefit from the 1st Home Buyers Grant you have to have the right Visa: so before choosing which Visa to Go For carefully consider your options & Long Term Aims first! Buying a home, freedom of Movement, career development - what happens if I/Family hate the place/job, can't make a go of it in first destination, etc.. I know it's harsh, that's why PIO does such a great job by disseminating the info that's out there in one handy package - but it still takes effort reading all this stuff & fishing out what pertains to ones particular situation... :radar: HERBSTER'S MANTRA -: CONSIDER CAREFULLY your Visa Options before madly Going for It! Esp. some of the Sponsored deals, if you've not given yourself time to research and investigate them, seems one could be locked into a deal you hate - with Perm Residency you are a Free Agent, but of course with that comes the responsibility of looking after everything oneself, would that be you or not?? Only you know...

I understand Paul, that should all progress well with your business you can then apply for a Perm Visa... I suppose for anyone in a similar situation there may be felicity in renting for the 4 years, saving as much as you can and then buying your First Home as soon as you have your Perm Visa (Or are they so crafty they don't let you do that??) - but of course again, chances are by that time you'll be happily ensconced and will be spending over the threshold anyway... Probably swings & roundabouts - least interest rates are on the Fall - there has to be a bright side?! Oh YES & you're not in the UK watching your Assets in Free Fall at the mo either!! All the best, hope you're Living Your Dream...? :smile:

Archived