Can anyone relate to this?

Waitingawhile

Hi all I got my 457 visa and came to WA a the end of July- it has been all I dreamed of for a number of years and yet sometime before I got on the plane I began to rebel I could not acept I was leaving the UK for good. After the main flight we had a few days in Melbourne which I loved (flying this route was cheaper at short notice) then came to WA. Well I have not been so cold in a long time at night -living in a house wih no central heating or double glazing brings you down to earth. I started a 3 month training course for a job I already have and have 9 years experience in- not being uppity just truthful!

No matter what I was shown or learnt I kept comparing it to the uk negatively- I was horrified at TV and the lack of Political Corectness and anyone who has seen `hole in wall` where by grown ups try to make themselves into the shape of a hole in a wall and not get pushed into a swimming pool will surely share my dismay. Anyway once we got a rental and my OH saying we will just stay for the year I then went through a process of trying to recreate my routine looking for the brands I knew -going to the hairdressers (she came from the uk early this year and does my hair as good as I have had it) and searching out english sweets - $3 for a cadburys twista bar exorionate but when you need a chocolate treat to pick you up you will pay it -the chocolate here is awful and cakes worse.

Anyway two months in and I feel a litle bit different admittedly. I now know about Rennai gas heaters (worth every penny of $550 but better to buy second hand) and every bedroom has an oil filled radiator on special from Target. I dont eat my Twistas often perhaps once every couple of weeks- I buy fresh not ready meals as they are crap! The english butcher provides the best meat ever and fish is out of this world-I have never had a bad meal out just one bad burger from a fast food outlet will be nameless-they just dont do conveniance in the way the UK does but......my bin gets emptied every week even when there is a public holiday and the green bin every two weeks for recycling as well not instead of! .....I have lost a stone........ work is so easy compared to what i was doing in the uk I can`t remember feeling so relaxed and........to my OHs delight they have drive in bottle/liquor stores (OH said they think of everything! bless), OH cooks breakfast every weekend on the barbie. I have come across some of the nicest people and once or twice the worst.

Reading the news I am so glad to be here and not listening to the credit crunch day in day out in the uk. Now I sort of feel in a midway place not really a full on Aussiewannabe at heart but dont want to go back to the uk either - perhaps this will continue to change as I get more and more settled but am really interesed in how other people have felt a few months in? I know some have felt quite desperate and I could really relate to this in the first few weeks- in fact I was so upset and confused initially I could not post until now when things are starting to feel a bit better. I hope this makes sense

lizx:twitcy:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Liz,

What a great post ... I think you've summed up how most migrants feel when they arrive and look for the familiarity of home. We too feel very relaxed here, more so than we ever did at home, hubby has commented that his work is easier and we certainly spend more time together as a family.

Ali

Guest julie2g1b

hiya

just wanted to say what an interesting and honest post, think the more you get to know the area's you will feel more at peace with the place, i also thing many brits go over and compaire everything as this is all we have known. we have to realise it is a different country and will take time.

just try and enjoy every day

we to are coming over to stay at secert harbour for 2 weeks nov 8th to validate as still had no luck with selling the house, how have you found the area and what made you pick there, as this is where we would like to move to.

best wishes and keep smiling

julie :wubclub:

Hi all I got my 457 visa and came to WA a the end of July- it has been all I dreamed of for a number of years and yet sometime before I got on the plane I began to rebel I could not acept I was leaving the UK for good. After the main flight we had a few days in Melbourne which I loved (flying this route was cheaper at short notice) then came to WA. Well I have not been so cold in a long time at night -living in a house wih no central heating or double glazing brings you down to earth. I started a 3 month training course for a job I already have and have 9 years experience in- not being uppity just truthful!...No matter what I was shown or learnt I kept comparing it to the uk negatively- I was horrified at TV and the lack of Political Corectness and anyone who has seen `hole in wall` where by grown ups try to make themselves into the shape of a hole in a wall and not get pushed into a swimming pool will surely share my dismay. Anyway once we got a rental and my OH saying we will just stay for the year I then went through a process of trying to recreate my routine looking for the brands I knew -going to the hairdressers (she came from the uk early this year and does my hair as good as I have had it) and searching out english sweets - $3 for a cadburys twista bar exorionate but when you need a chocolate treat to pick you up you will pay it -the chocolate here is awful and cakes worse....Anyway two months in and I feel a litle bit different admittedly. I now know about Rennai gas heaters (worth every penny of $550 but better to buy second hand) and every bedroom has an oil filled radiator on special from Target. I dont eat my Twistas often perhaps once every couple of weeks- I buy fresh not ready meals as they are crap! The english butcher provides the best meat ever and fish is out of this world-I have never had a bad meal out just one bad burger from a fast food outlet will be nameless-they just dont do conveniance in the way the UK does but......my bin gets emptied every week even when there is a public holiday and the green bin every two weeks for recycling as well not instead of! .....I have lost a stone........ work is so easy compared to what i was doing in the uk I can`t remember feeling so relaxed and........to my OHs delight they have drive in bottle/liquor stores (OH said they think of everything! bless), OH cooks breakfast every weekend on the barbie. I have come across some of the nicest people and once or twice the worst...Reading the news I am so glad to be here and not listening to the credit crunch day in day out in the uk. Now I sort of feel in a midway place not really a full on Aussiewannabe at heart but dont want to go back to the uk either - perhaps this will continue to change as I get more and more settled but am really interesed in how other people have felt a few months in? I know some have felt quite desperate and I could really relate to this in the first few weeks- in fact I was so upset and confused initially I could not post until now when things are starting to feel a bit better. I hope this makes sense

lizx

Great Post Liz!

I'm nodding in agreement with many of your experiences & observations! Especially the lack of insulation - our first utility bill was over $900/3 months & that was after we switched off the Hydro-heaters for the final month! Crazy! Fortunately, here in Tassie, we have great bake shops (bakeries!) where they bake fresh & often - stuff doesn't come from Catering Central as so much does in UK. We too have fab butchers (I'm a Fresh Food Make-it-From-Scratch Junkie anyway) and a little nervous about moving form this area in November, as to whether I'll be able to find another so good. Honestly Aussie choc is about as good as their TV, it is worth paying more for European, or getting your loving rellies to ship over your Favs (TV progs & Choccies!) - so long as it declared, it won't be a problem getting in (no seeds, thu'!)

My mother asks me frequently - You're OK? You STILL like it? You SURE you're OK? I admit; OK it's not America (which I & my OH really, truly DO LOVE!) & it's NOT UK-with-better-weather at all, so Yes! we miss the History there, but I say to Mother also,- I just thank God we got out when we did! As you say, Merci! We don't have to listen to the slanted News - the thought of Mendelson coming back in to be the Saviour of the UK makes us sick - so thank heavens we're not there suffering through what you poor blighter's are going thru' presently. It's a BIG relief to be out form under that cloud of Doom & Gloom, PC Gone Mad, manipulated Fear & Media Frenzy that is Living in the UK! Although we do have to laugh at the parochial views screaming from the local tabloids, as living on such a small island - well the population is relatively small - there's little that happens here that is worth getting het up about when you compare it to what goes on in other parts of the World! :smile:

I also say, I've met some lovely people; people here are typically very friendly (if you make an effort to be sociable!) The weather's very intersting - we get some amazing sunny days - perfection, then the wind gets up & drives us crazy! The wildlife is fab, I've had Wedge-tailed eagles escaping from pesky currawongs over my garden twice this week & those huge black cockatoos are hizzing in the trees opposite - amazing! & I have one wallaby that responds to my cat-calling, waiting under the deck, to be fed like a hungry toddler - I just wonder how much more he can consume before he bursts!

We've been here since June 1st, 08 - my OH has a better job than he did in UK, (although it's killing him) but hopefully over time it will improve & he will have time for LIFE outside work (he's torn a ham string too + has a nasty cold... so is suffering mightily :cry:) I've had a casual (well paid compared to Tesco's!) retail job for a couple months (that kills me too!) AND for the FIRST time EVER, ANYWHERE we are buying our own home, on acerage in the hills behind Hobart - no sea views anymore, but hills & valley with our own paddocks & forest - so I wouldn't have that in the UK! 3- Cheers for Tassie!

So we've adaptted to a new life & customs, accepted and embraced the differences here, we were prepared for it to be not the same therefore try and make the most of what ever opportunity comes our way - but within just 4 months of arriving we're achieving the goals we set ourselves: different & better job, eascape from the Rat Race & MOST importantly buying a HOME of our very own...

Now tell me Lizzie, - how did you loose that stone & I wonder if I found it!? :)

xXx

Hi Julie I chose secret Harbour as it was where my friend lives and I was looking for somewhere between Mandurah and Rockingham as after training I will be based in one of the two. I really do like secret harbour - it has the best surf beach in WA or so it says lol especially as my sons and OH love body boarding and would like to surf, but really it is a beautiful coast line up and down from here to Perth and beyond. Secret harbour is very new and is still expanding and growing with lots of land being sold and new houses sprouting up. it has a nice feeling of people with common experiences starting out in a new country at the same time and still has quite an out of the way feel with a low crime rate. It is early days but i am learning you have to make yourself make the effort which is hard when you are out of your comfort zone. Finding new favourite shops felt hard and being dissappointed in the quality of clothes and of all things bedding got to me a first but then I found Freedom for bedding and accessories and kitchen witch(guess) and learnt about Harbour town for clothes shopping and began to realise i could find a way to manage.

I giggled Herbster at your utillity bill example simply coz I would have gladly paid that and more to be warm but am now dreading geting the bill lol. How fantastic to be buying your own land with acreage and stables. An ozzie friend at work talks all the time about connecting with the land being important for the spirit and how she can still walk and explore somewhere and feel - I am the first person to walk here ever!

Someone at work explained to me the other day afer winding me up that `if we like you we take the P---` well I missed that one! I have been told to watch out for drop bears - thanks to this site I was ready for this-what I wasnt ready for was huntsman spiders will rear in fright and jump on your face-freaked me for all of 5 mins, the metal bars at crossing points were there for school kids to hold on to when on skateboards, skates or bikes so they dont roll into the road-yeah I really fell for that not, ok I did for a minute! As for loosing the stone it is through eating fresh food made from scratch and still having the odd treat! lizx

Hi Liz:

Don't want to worry you - BUT (as anyone who knows me KNOWS what I'm going to say next!) in spite of the high elec bills we never were warm - that was the infuriating part of it - the only time this place has ever been over 18 degrees INSIDE is when it's been a lovely sunny day, OUTSIDE - so was due to the solar gain! :v_SPIN: So we turned off the electric rads & just keep the office/bedroom warm on an as needs basis! I dread to think how much Hot Air & Cool in the summer, escapes from homes here due to lack of insulation! But it must cost us all a fortune :cry:! No wonder my OH has the raging flu & sick as the proverbial parrot, bless him...

INSULATION LOBBYISTS NEEDED - Stop Energy Wastage - Save US Money!

Very excited about the house, the SOLD signs are going up this week - just can't wait to see it Under Contract! on the Web, but the Agent's gone Bush Walking, so will have to be patient a little longer!

GREAT news about the Reserve Bank slashing interest rates 1% down to 6% - things are looking sweeter in Oz! :)

So know what you mean about it never being properly warm. Discovered gaps between the window and the brick work was causing a gale to blow in the bathroom. What I cant get my head around is the fact that people pay the same for a tiled roof as they do for a tin one and still choose tin!!!!!!!

So know what you mean about it never being properly warm. Discovered gaps between the window and the brick work was causing a gale to blow in the bathroom. What I cant get my head around is the fact that people pay the same for a tiled roof as they do for a tin one and still choose tin!!!!!!!

Hummmm: Not sure if it's because in theory they are easier to self-maintain - ie if a bit peels off you can buy a replacement sheet & DIY - or if it's to do with the fire risk - or the weight - could be a plausible possibility as tile is much heavier & many Ozzie homes are not as sturdy really as UK ones... Also tile is quite a skilled job...

And you'd love the light show emanating through our tiled roof it's quite amazing - Shows there's basically no insulation under that TILE roof anyway, either!! Funny old DOINGS....

(How old is Australia...?!) :)

Thank you for putting posts like these, and letting us share in what is going on in your lives. They are great to read.

My oh and I have dreamed of emmigrating for about 10 years, then last year my oh was given the opportunity to go to Australia with work. A year later, and we are almost at the point of no return, with regards to the visa etc, we have been to visit Australia, and he has said yes to the business opportunity that he has been given. We should be leaving for Oz, withh our two little girls (aged 2 1/2 and 8 months) sometime early December.

As each day goes by, and as the process moves along, I have felt a range of emotions. Firstly I was nothing but excited, then as time went on, more and more doubts, worries and questions began to fill my head. There are days when I hardly feel excited at all - I feel nothing but sheer terror sometimes! Although we aren't close (distance wise) to family, will we miss them? Are we right to be taking two small children such a long way away? What if we don't like it, or what if we don't make friends? What if I feel completely isolated at home with the children whilst oh is at work? How will I make friends and how will I be able to settle the children in to nurseries etc when I don't feel settled myself? What if I feel so utterly and totally miserable that all I want to do is come home? How will our marriage cope under, what will be, one of the biggest stresses that it is possible to put it under? What happens if someone we love in the UK dies...? The list goes on and on.

When I read threads like these, and like the ones that others have posted about returning to the UK, it makes me realise that actually, what matters is that you give it a go. We may get to Oz and love it from the start. Equally we may hate it, but it may grow on us. Or we may never love it, and constantly dream of the day that we can return to the UK. Who knows? Only time tells. It is just nice to know that whatever happens, there will always be someone on PIO who has been there, who will know exactly what you are going through.

Posts like these and the ones about people making the return to the UK used to make me feel cross or fed up (How can they want to move back to the UK when they are lucky enough to live in the place that I dream about?), but a year further in to the process, I actually feel comforted by them, knowing that if It all goes tits-up, at least there are others who have been through the same things, who can offer support and help in your deepest, darkest moments.

Thank you :wubclub:

Thank you for putting posts like these, and letting us share in what is going on in your lives. They are great to read.

My oh and I have dreamed of emigrating for about 10 years, then last year my oh was given the opportunity to go to Australia with work. A year later, and we are almost at the point of no return, with regards to the visa etc, we have been to visit Australia, and he has said yes to the business opportunity that he has been given. We should be leaving for Oz, wit our two little girls (aged 2 1/2 and 8 months) sometime early December... Posts like these and the ones about people making the return to the UK used to make me feel cross or fed up (How can they want to move back to the UK when they are lucky enough to live in the place that I dream about?), but a year further in to the process, I actually feel comforted by them, knowing that if It all goes tits-up, at least there are others who have been through the same things, who can offer support and help in your deepest, darkest moments...Thank you

Hi LKC:

Thanks for your kind comments, great to know people read my thoughts, and can take some of it on board! These are OUR experiences, not how we think things may turn out or how they should turn out just because we are in OZ.. Some peeps do think that just being here means everything will magically be amazing and imagine we are all here for the same things - we're not - so don't don't pay too much attention to the hardliners on PIO - Also, there's nothing to say you can't live here without citizenship, although at least you don't LOSE your English/British citzenship should you wish to go the whole nine yards! It's YOUR life & LIVES just try and make the most of the opportunities offered to you!

I would say, it's a good thing you are feeling as you do - what I worry about are the people flocking here thinking it's going to be the panacea for all their ills, only to discover that - as you are already realizing - you're a long way form home, everything IS different (as it should be!) and you can't just pop down to Mum's when you're having a bad day. Also chances are you're going to have to work a darn site harder here than UK - we only have to look at the most successful immigrants at home & who are they - the ones that put in every available hour to make it work for them & their family. I can't say it will be much different for you guys... And if you expect it to be tough, then hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised...

It sounds to me as if you've done excellent ground work & research - you're not coming here with the rose-tinted glasses and expecting the Red Carpet rolled out for you, probably helps to realize I guess in a big city like Sydney, that there will be many more migrants than where I am in Tassie, and if you look at it from the Ozzies point of view some will see it as good, others not - just as in UK! So def don't expect a Fancy Welcome Mat! You just get here & hit the ground running! :jiggy:

So, having said that, and you're still prepared to make a go of it, perhaps do as we did - give it 5-yrs. We seriously think UK has problems we couldn't live with at the current time (in spite of our families being there), so we found a place in OZ that we felt suits us initially... We said OK, let's give it five years - you've got to give it 5-YRS! I know my OH would be forever wondering What If, if we hadn't taken the plunge and done this, even though I never considered a move here, I could NOT pass up this opportunity, & in the end it was the only viable option for US!. Presently we're both sick as dogs, but having only just arrived at the end of May, we have bought our first ever home - the MAJOR reason for our relocation! - and will be moving in in November. So just on that count we've succeeded already, and are well ahead of were we would have been if we'd stayed home - plus we have friends & know from experince what it really IS like living in Tasmania & are looking forward to welcoming The Folks in the New Year - great to show them around.!

You've got to give it a go! Because as you say, it could be the BEST THING ever, but if you don't try you'll never know & the regret could be huge... it really is better to try & fail (although who SAYS it's failure - don't set yourself up to FAIL) than not try at all. Look at it as giving the kids a wonderful experience, travel alone, is a huge educator, OZ is a huge country offering many opportunities, so if you find Sydney is not for you (I can't imagine it would be us!) then be prepared to move around a bit until you find a place you can settle and make a life for yourselves. It is a big country & while much of it is a muchness, I'm sure there will be somewhere given half the chance, that suits your needs & aspirations.

You guys sound young and you have a young family - when I emigrated to America in my early 20's, it was so much easier to do then than decades later! You just get used & attached to things as you get older, so the quicker you go the more time & opportunity you have to attach and enjoy things HERE! Deff for the kids, rather than leave it a few more years when they've made close attachments. But honestly, you WILL make friends, but you have to make an effort! Make a point of greeting people, saying HI!, exchanging a smile... my native Tassie friend insists the secret to Ozzieness is their great genorisity of spirit, so if you can quickly adopt that attitude, you'll go far...

As I've tried to point out before, kids growing up in Britain now are so used to having so much, you guys might be too - you might not even realise how much, so it could be helpful when you're running this all through your head to make up some LISTS (I'm a great believer in getting stuff down on paper so you can SEE what's bothering you, etc.) Write up a list of all the things you & the kids have access to in your current life - it'll probably run pages - Now you want another list of things you think you can't live without, things that don't matter and the list of missing friends & family... With your continued research discover how many of the Must Have's will be in your new area, I'd imagine nursery/play group facilities will be very important, so perhaps you can make contact ahead of time, so that when you walk in that first morning you will be welcomed as they know who you are!

These days with SKYPE, the internet, etc., it's easier than ever keeping in touch with distant friends and family - I get to see my great Nephews and they get to see me - they won't forget me now! So that important contant can be maintained - also writing letters, what a great skill your kids can develop to keep in touch with family - and imagine the planning for all the visitors you are bound to be hosting...

As someone else said, the Visa is an Opportunity - not a Life Sentance! Leave yourselves an opening in the UK - maybe enough £$£ for return plane tickets, whatever - then you know you have a saftey blanket. - Anyway, now that you've thought about all the things taht might go WRONG - start visualizsing all the possibilites for success & happiness & you're half way there! Keep in touch, if there's any Q's, doubts, what ever, I'll try & help all I can... (Just heed our warning about the lack of insulation!!) :v_SPIN:

All the BEST! XxX

I was the same until i changed my attitude too, Aus isnt that bad once i stopped comparing it to england lol lol lol with the chocolate and cakes SSSOOOOO True i dont think Arnots put suger in their buscuits either but ontop of having a baby i have lost more weight too haha. I love England and miss my family but i know with the amount of bills and how high they are that we just couldnt afford england and on the days when i cant be bothered to cook i suggest steak knowing my hubby will cook lol

All the best heres hoping our lives will only get better

xxx

See, I'm OK with Arnot's we don't like things too sweet, so ideal for us & I can eat them & they don't make me ill +++! Especially their Milk Arrowroot & have you tried their Choccy Bears - nice & crisp! But there are some things that are awfully sweet Dick Smith's Shortbread creamy things (ghastly! - but if you like sweet?!) & the colors of some of those KIDZ drinks are so lurid they look like a science project gone wrong!!

Also, be WARNED - don't eat the Blue Jelly! It's SOOOO WRONG!!! (Esp when you mix it with fruit so it turns a nasty puce green, top your sponge fingers with it, then cover it all with custard flavored with Blackberry jam that consequently turned it the color of sludge! Revolting, it really did taste as bad as it looked!!) Of Herbster's Australian Culinary Disasters - that Terrible Trifle was the biggest - apart from constantly burning things because the gas hob only seems to have 2 settings - simmer or incinerate!!! :embarrassed:

But usually my trifles & deserts turn out better than home, our meat here is fab & the fruit & veggies are very fresh - we tend to shop seasonally, so buy local produce were we can, (fresher, cheaper) so it might mean having to get used to NOT having everything when you want it (As it might come from overseas, Xtra food miles, be wary of fresh produce from China or some S American co's where their laws on pesticides & chemicals are pretty lax...) Have you tried Weis ice cream all natural: their mango & cream is delicious - not too sweet - you'll get used to that! But Aussie chocs are terrible, they do remind me of those awful things we used to find in the bottom of our Christmas stocking, back in the Olde Days - nice silver paper horrid non-chocy flavor, used to feed them to my cat!...

Keep exploring your neighborhoods/web sites, thou' eventually you'll find things more to your taste & liking, there is variety & choice you've just got to hunt around & try everything till you find what you like (or just get used to what there is!! :sad:)

:) X

Thanks Herbser for the advice about the fruit and veg have tried to buy local anyway but did not think of the pesticides! I think the idea of the tin roof being easy to replace is fine but have you heard the sound in the middle of the night when it rains?

As for choc biscuits OH is currenly digging the select brand at Woolworths- the fruit and nut and honeycomb ones are his favourite! I cant bring myself to like these they just are not the same - thank god really as really need to keep reducing the waist line.

You know LCK by the time I go on the plane I was planning my return and in no mood for saying isnt this great!!!!!OH was very aware I could cry at any moment so was dutifully supportive by ignoring me after patting my knee and saying I am sure you will get to like it. He then ate and drank his way through the flight making sure he got his moneys worth!!!

I am beggining to really like the early mornings which more often than not are bright. it is amazing how it can go from frosty to seriously warm in the middle of the day to blowing and windy and raining at night. OH saw a schoolkid being chased by a magpie over wasteland from the car on the way home from work yesterday-they give warnings on the radio about this- during the nesting season whilst chicks hatch they are fiercely protective so to protect yourself from magpies you should wear a hat and glasses!!! Never knew about this before I came and the magpies have big beaks! My friend was cycling through the park with a helmet and had to take it off to stop the bird attacking her.

Thanks Herbser for the advice about the fruit and veg have tried to buy local anyway but did not think of the pesticides! I think the idea of the tin roof being easy to replace is fine but have you heard the sound in the middle of the night when it rains?

As for choc biscuits OH is currenly digging the select brand at Woolworths- the fruit and nut and honeycomb ones are his favourite! I cant bring myself to like these they just are not the same - thank god really as really need to keep reducing the waist line.

You know LCK by the time I go on the plane I was planning my return and in no mood for saying isnt this great!!!!!OH was very aware I could cry at any moment so was dutifully supportive by ignoring me after patting my knee and saying I am sure you will get to like it. He then ate and drank his way through the flight making sure he got his moneys worth!!!

I am beggining to really like the early mornings which more often than not are bright. it is amazing how it can go from frosty to seriously warm in the middle of the day to blowing and windy and raining at night. OH saw a schoolkid being chased by a magpie over wasteland from the car on the way home from work yesterday-they give warnings on the radio about this- during the nesting season whilst chicks hatch they are fiercely protective so to protect yourself from magpies you should wear a hat and glasses!!! Never knew about this before I came and the magpies have big beaks! My friend was cycling through the park with a helmet and had to take it off to stop the bird attacking her.

Brilliant! Will reply later - got this horrible flu bug, but have to make an effort to get up... beware people or MAGPIES with a hacking cough Rocki!! Wear wet suit, cap, mask & goggles for protection! Nice to see the birds getting their own back, really!

Yes that looooong flight gives you too much time to think doesn't it, so I can understand why some peeps try to anesthetize themselves... How long have you been here did you say - my memories going too! Our baby starlings are whining hungrily, least their folks seem to be able to find plenty to eat here... Look at the food thing as an Adventure in culinary exploration - just buy the small packs of things when they are on sale - have you noticed that - the Sale Thingy?? Or is that just Tassie & they have these mad Sales when the boat comes in?! Interesting how your weather sounds just like ours! But that wind - I don't like the wind!!! Look at every day as a new Adventure - give yourselves 5-yrs & if you still don't like Oz, & you think you'd be happier in UK, then go back - but be prepared to explore Oz first, just to be sure!

It all takes TIME - every day a new start, but building on all those past days, you'll soon find things are more familiar... At least you have friends, that's always a BIG plus! :yes: XXX

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hope you got over the cold Herbster-training has finally finished and I am back in the land of the living- My 12 month old spotless rental has been overun with a thin version of earwig type looking beetles does any one know what they might be? Coz they are freaking me out -been spraying every surface and now getting a headache!

Hi Rocki:

Glad you're back in Civilization - although I don't know what your bugs are - might try & look them up for you... I'm a country gal, but I like my bugs to be outdoors...! We had mirco ants coming in & found spraying around the windows OUTSIDE put pay to their foraging indoor exploits! (I just used ahousehold cleaning spray.) Also, putting salt down across their trails - they didn't like that either... But do be very careful spraying indoors, some of that stuff can be lethal... Got my carpets cleaned once, I got very sick & most of my Tropical Fish died - so I'm extra wary... Getting over the flu, it's very nasty so avoid it at all costs! Enjoy the rest of your week! Good luck getting rid of your creepy friends...

X

Just wanted to say what a lovely calm, sensible honest thread and a big thanks to Rocki for starting it!.

I can relate to absolutely everything on here. We have (me, my OH and 18yr old son) been here 8 months now and it's very much a rollercoaster ride for me still although my OH and son are loving every single minute.

On good days (which amounts to about 3/4 of the time) I love what Australia is doing for us in terms of for the first time in our working lives, we can actually pay our way - income is more than outgoings - yay! We adore exploring the beaches, hinterland and well, everywhere really! and have the time and freedom to do this now.

I too don't like the chocolate, biscuits etc LOL plus there are some things about Australia that I really dispise and at first I didn't want to adapt, all I could see were the 'bad' things and began to resent moving here - how stupid were we along with were we being too selfish etc....

But then, like yourselves, a change of attitude meant I began to find things I did like, try new things, find shops suitable for us etc etc.

My confidence still goes from zero to 10 and back sometimes, took a long time to find a job, found one so confidence shot up, didn't work out so confidence plunges again. Meet a new person/friend up it goes, get stuck indoors for too long and down it comes again etc etc.

We decided that we would return to the UK on a visit for Christmas because my 21 yr old daughter is still there and on some days I say, 'will I come back, how will I cope with leaving my daughter again, perhaps I shouldn't even go?'.

My OH is great and puts up with so much and on the bad days he will say - don't worry, plan B it is

then. (Plan A was stay for good, plan B is 2 years mainly because thats how long our son's study is). I also know it would break his heart if it does end up being plan B.

We also knew that there was no way in the world we personally could cope with another recession in the UK. It destroyed us both financially and I had to deal with a major health issue at the same time. It took a long long time to battle our way back up to solvency and we at least know that we can ride it out here and 100% feel for folks going through it now.

But all in all, this WAS the right move for us, and I find the easiest way to cope with it all is to say 'it doesn't have to be forever, who know what the future will bring and just try and take each day as it comes be it a good one or a bad one!!'.

BTW I have lost over a stone too! put it down to being out and about more - on feet!! LOL

Lyn x

Hi Lyn:

Glad you are mostly enjoying your new Life, although, as you say it DOES have it's Ups & Downs - but doesn't life anyway - where ever you are? It is encouraging that things are brighter on the financial side, when I hear the horror stories from the Other Side, I'm certainly glad we got out when we did! Surprisingly my OH is earning more than he was at home (working LONGGGGER & HARDER) but once we move to our new OWN home should be better for him, shorter + easier commute & then I'll have to find something sensible to earn my keep... I walked straight into a casual job, my boss is great, really cool, but the work kills me, so I know I really ought to get out of heavy retail! But it's a great intro to LIFE, you get to meet all kinds of folk, locals, visitors & you do get to know what's going on very quickly, which again helps you feel a part of your new homeland... It might not be your ideal but a little casual retail job might help & the pay's better than Tesco's - around $18/hr +- depending on experience...!

I admit, being far from your friends & family isn't easy, and I hope a Christmas visit will help. Do you have SKYPE? It's really great being able to chat to peeps live - seeing them at home: is the sun shinning, the kids charging round the place blowing you kisses, my sister's new GORGEOUS stray cats!! (Why don't the gorgeous ones ever find me - it's always the ones on their last legs that I seem to save - but then they reward me with unconditional love lol!) Maybe a dog would help, too - get you out & about & interact with other doggy peeps...

There is a bit of a secret to being Up & not so down - apparently you can think yourself happy & positive! It takes some work, but like forming any new habit, it is doable, just takes a few weeks of concerted effort! It means trying to turn any negative into a positive - so it's too hot outdoors, I'll go indoors & write to my daughter... I'm not working today, but I'll take myself for a good walk (Princess Anne's favorite apparently, & she believes it a cure for most things!) raining - so go to the library or do some ironing, bake some cookies... Also, try to see if you can find the positive in the smallest of things - like clouds in the sky - they are so remarkable how they change shape, flowers in the garden, watch the bees & bugs about their busy lives, if you can get out & about do so - you don't need an excuse (like shopping that you'll only end up regretting spending) Exchanging a smile with a stranger - you might think it strange - but you might be surprised at how friendly people are if you smile first! You're in OZ now, you can throw off that protective mantle of British Reserve & act like a native! You might have to practice, but it will have it's rewards! Trust me, from one who wouldn't say boo to a goose, who ended up with geese, goats... & working in the hard-nosed world of Chicago Industrial Real Estate, you can change, it IS possible to MAKE yourself feel better & then your World at least, will be a better place :jiggy: The best bit will be when your family & friends start to visit YOU, & you can show off to them!! Hope you have a Good Day - I can't believe you guys loosing all this weight - it's sooo not fair!!! :smile:

X

Hi Herbster! - thanks for replying and sooo quick!

In general I pretty much do what you are suggesting! I do aim to get myself out every day for a walk along the beach or just a visit to the local coffee shop - I sooo love the coffee here!.

Am trying to get myself back into running which I used to do in the UK - lets face it, this place is perfect for that!

We have often considered a dog (had cats in the UK) but thought that if I did find a job it wouldn't be fair on the doggie and at least while in a rental, probably not a great idea - will think again once we are in our own house early next year - excellent thought though that they are great 'person introducer' if no kids on hand!!

My job was a casual one too but seems to have become TOO casual - was promised 2/3 days a week but I would have been happy with anything because as you say, anything gets you into the 'real' world! however they say they have quietened down too much to be able to offer me anything at the moment! - must admit, did b*gg*er all when I was there and did wonder why on earth they wanted me but who was I to argue!!

Unfortunately our internet connection is pretty diabolical - wireless as ADSL not available (no space at exchange) and is pretty much useless from 4pm till 10pm presumably too many folks using it so rules out Skype, msn etc as that is the only time when hours of communication work with UK but we do phone often because we have a good international call set up.

You are right of course that life has its ups and down wherever you are and there sure would have been more downs than ups had we stayed in the UK too, we definitely got out at the right time too. We were also shocked by the fact that my OH is earning better than he was in the UK so that has been a huge bonus and motivator.

Maybe my post came across as a little sad, didn't really mean it too (I am not that great at writing what is in my head!). Yes there are a fair few downs but in reality I tend to actually feel guilty for what we have here if you know what I mean - like we should be struggling big time like everyone else because that's all we ever knew before! Does that make any sense? Congratulations by the way on buying your first home - that must be a truly wonderful feeling and I wish you every happiness in it.

I do still buy some UK foods as treats but don't have any hangups about that (and nor should anyone else despite some sarcasm from folks on here on other threads who think that means we hate Oz because of that) because I sure as heck wouldn't expect Aussies to eat Marmite instead of Vegemite when in the UK or even like our chocolate! (although I still think they would need their bumps feeling LOL)

I will continue to job hunt although I think the fact that we are only a couple of months away from Christmas (heck!!) along with me not being suitable for temporary christmas jobs because of our visit back to the UK over that period means I am unlikely to find anything till the new year but I don't mind too much.

Reading back through Rocki's post, I too am impressed by some of the simple things like rubbish collections - in the UK we got a hopeless little box to put our recyling stuff in (and not so much could be recycled). Always ended up going to the tip to dispose of other recyclable stuff whereas here, loads more stuff is collected - my recycle bin is full up by the time collection comes around and I have hardly anything in the other waste bin - fantastically efficient - no more trips to the dump (which isn't very eco friendly if you can't combine it with another trip). One of Australias better ideas!

It's a shame really that the UK and Oz can't come together and pool the good ideas as I wholeheartedly agree with the heating/insulation/cooling situation comments on here.

In the UK we have embraced insulation and thus energy saving brilliantly whereas Oz seriously has a lot to learn in this department LOL

Lyn x

Hi Herbster! - thanks for replying and sooo quick!

In general I pretty much do what you are suggesting! I do aim to get myself out every day for a walk along the beach or just a visit to the local coffee shop - I sooo love the coffee here!...Am trying to get myself back into running which I used to do in the UK - lets face it, this place is perfect for that!..We have often considered a dog (had cats in the UK) but thought that if I did find a job it wouldn't be fair on the doggie and at least while in a rental, probably not a great idea - will think again once we are in our own house early next year - excellent thought though that they are great 'person introducer' if no kids on hand!!...My job was a casual one too but seems to have become TOO casual - was promised 2/3 days a week but I would have been happy with anything because as you say, anything gets you into the 'real' world! however they say they have quietened down too much to be able to offer me anything at the moment! - must admit, did b*gg*er all when I was there and did wonder why on earth they wanted me but who was I to argue!!...Unfortunately our internet connection is pretty diabolical .... rules out Skype, msn etc as that is the only time when hours of communication work with UK but we do phone often because we have a good international call set up....You are right of course that life has its ups and down wherever you are and there sure would have been more downs than ups had we stayed in the UK too, we definitely got out at the right time too. We were also shocked by the fact that my OH is earning better than he was in the UK so that has been a huge bonus and motivator....Maybe my post came across as a little sad, didn't really mean it too (I am not that great at writing what is in my head!). Yes there are a fair few downs but in reality I tend to actually feel guilty for what we have here if you know what I mean - like we should be struggling big time like everyone else because that's all we ever knew before! Does that make any sense? Congratulations by the way on buying your first home - that must be a truly wonderful feeling and I wish you every happiness in it....I do still buy some UK foods as treats but don't have any hangups about that (and nor should anyone else despite some sarcasm from folks on here on other threads who think that means we hate Oz because of that) because I sure as heck wouldn't expect Aussies to eat Marmite instead of Vegemite when in the UK or even like our chocolate! (although I still think they would need their bumps feeling LOL)......Reading back through Rocki's post, I too am impressed by some of the simple things like rubbish collections - in the UK we got a hopeless little box to put our recyling stuff in (and not so much could be recycled). Always ended up going to the tip to dispose of other recyclable stuff whereas here, loads more stuff is collected - my recycle bin is full up by the time collection comes around and I have hardly anything in the other waste bin - fantastically efficient - no more trips to the dump (which isn't very eco friendly if you can't combine it with another trip). One of Australias better ideas!...It's a shame really that the UK and Oz can't come together and pool the good ideas as I wholeheartedly agree with the heating/insulation/cooling situation comments on here....In the UK we have embraced insulation and thus energy saving brilliantly whereas Oz seriously has a lot to learn in this department LOL...

Lyn x

Hi Lyn:

No - you didn't sound sad, really - just a little unsure, maybe - which is natural... (Don't pay much mind to me - I'm too adaptable for my own good!) Funny you should say about work, cos my Boss phoned just after I posted that reply saying they are REALLY busy, so they won't need me on Friday! Gotta laugh, bless him - he's only thinking of my back & shoulder, and having been so out with the flu, probably I'm better not to be lifting all those boxes of 40 - or was it 20 - kilo potatoes?! They're damned heavy however many kilo's is in them!

You are lucky to have the beach to walk, I enjoy walking the beach, used to love Cornwall for that. So, although we overlook the water, presently, there isn't a beach close by & it's so hilly here it takes more than Ambition to get out there!! Walking's quite underrated :cute: - I have to feel so sorry for my Dearly Beloved, as the weekend he got his job, he jumped for joy over a creek on the beach at Southport, & unbeknown to him at the time, tore his ham string - that was 2 months ago & he's been in agony ever since - so no more running for him for a while, let alone creek-jumping...

Course we are REALLY RURAL so don't have the luxury of garbage pick-up, (or mains water/sewer!) but even in UK it used to vary so much. Our dump at Hexham was great, so organized & spotless, they took most everything from batteries to brush, cardboard to cast-off electronics, but here - OMG! We'd collected a trunk-load of non-combustibles & took it to the local dump - which is pretty well on top of a hill - & as you may have gathered the wind blows - quite a bit in Tassie - so the MESSSS - Gordon Bennett - the surrounding trees were festooned with debris - all up the road, litter & rubbish of every kind, hideous!! Awful!- People chucking stuff into open skips & it all blowing around their heads - everything just mixed in, regardless - heaven knows what happens to it (maybe a bunch of poor immigrants out the back sorting it all??!!) - or probably all land-filled! Yes, to say we weren't impressed was a bit of an understatement! But it's so true how you don't know how other peeps do things until you get to see it with your own eyes - all these country's act as if their way IS the Only Way - & of course it's not true! When I lived in Chicago in the 80's we were recycling plastic bottles which were then turned into park benches & other useful amenities - people earned livelihoods collecting cans & bottles & selling them to the recycling centers - probably making even more $$$ now the Chinese are buying so much... But in UK, they still don't do this, Germany, again, miles ahead...But Governments won't tell us that!

Food, another example: One warning I might mention regarding food, might not be relevant, but might stop you getting a headache at least... Half my family are ceoliacs so can't eat wheat, etc., & whilst I don't seem to share that problems, as I can eat spaghetti, there are other things that really bother me, & I can't fathom why or WHAT, but have been gradually thinking it's food colors &/or additives... I was just going to use an All Natural, gluten free, FREE from everything nasty sauce for dinner, when I double checked the label, as the last time I used this Brand it caused me havoc! And sure enuf a color 160B was listed, so I decided to investigate, & sure enough it is banned in Europe & has been cited in all sorts of nasty reactions, especially in kids from simple headaches, stomach upset to violent temper tantrums & head banging - & I just thought it was the Dance Music that caused this!!

Factannatto

:wacko:

So now I'm on a mission to check out all these other nasties - even NATURAL ones - lurking in our food!

Guess I'll have to make something from scratch - seems to be the best way anyway! Enjoy your evening - you can always pm me, Lyn - I know what you're saying about a Woffer - we haven't had one all these years, for the very reason's you say - so now we are getting a Big Spread in the Country - Doggy Heaven, really, then a Doggy will be able to have a home - but even at the pound they aren't cheap - around $450! Ouch!!!

Byee for now, better source some 160B-free supper!!

X

thank you for posts liek this, i know how i will be, ATM its all push push push to get visas and get otu there, when i get there it'll be all organise organise organise to get kids in school, get a house sorted ( we will probably rent for a while so we are sure we liek the area, having a £180k mortgage here it will make a welcome change to have change at the end of the month!

then, i will crash down and miss home terribly. that will be when i get my scrapbooking stuff out and start scrapping this wonderful new country with new things all round, and yes i will probs compare to UK. how can you not, this is everything i have ever known and having been warned about drop bears already ( seriously, OZ has lethal snakes, spiders and assorted deadly fish - do we really need to worry about bears dropping on us?) we eat out a lot here, mcdonalds, pizza, and its just cos im lazy and its there and cheap. i cannot wait to have no choice but to cook for my family and maybe get them to accept the 5 a day i force them to have here, as a choice, not a commandment LOL

right now im just waiting waiting waiting for the visa, we are coming over on 457 so have to wait and see fi they off dh a job first... tick tock!

Hi TJ:

Welcome to PIO - at least you know you have a place to Share & Exchange... I like to quote a fellow PIO that said your Visa's an Opportunity - NOT a Life Sentence... I'm not so sure about your 457 Visas - is that the Sponsored one?? We're on 136 Skilled Independent, - pretty well free agents, fend for ourselves - can't be a burden on The System - the flexibility is quite relaxing for us.... Although, like you, I get to organize all the back-room stuff! But then it justifies my existence!

So how many kids will you have to sort out? But it does give you a Mission with less time to dwell on what you might be missing. I think like Lyn, if you guys can devise different scenarios before you come out, that will help - The kids will hopefully treat it as a Great Adventure -& it is a Once in a Lifetime Opportunity for you all! I'm sure there will be people at Home questioning your reasoning - but I know many of them will be wishing they had the guts to go for it too... As some of us are saying - don't make it a Be All & End All - give yourselves 3 - 5 years... and if it doesn't suit you, well you tried, you made the most of an opportunity, but it wasn't for you - return! Leave yourselves a safety net... If you're not hard on yourselves, chances are you will settle & soon be comfortable....

When I first went to America, even though I wanted to go, had always wanted to go, because of circumstances - a silly marriage, even sillier father-in-law, Desperate Times, all the Usual Suspects - I wondered many times What HAD I done?! - but by the 3rd year, I realized it was all these other things that were rubbish and that in fact the country I was in was the best part of EVERYTHING, and from there on in I loved it & still love it - so being in OZ, is a bit of a strange one for me, as I'm missing 2 Homes in effect... But again, we've said we'll give it a BASH! We don't HAVE to LOVE it (don't think that if you don't love it, then you hate it, cos that ain't so!) it's a place to live & get on, and as such, there are many worse places you could be - quite a few of them in Britain! Things won't be the same, most things will be different - depending where you end up - but your family will be the same, and you'll confront those challenges and adventures together which has to be rather exciting... :jiggy:

Getting the kids involved in the Scrap Booking too, will be great (their own versions!) I remember as a kid how mother invented a whole raft of games & activities for us - we'd collect all types of things & stick them in books or make collections - isn't there something like 400 different gum trees alone in OZ, could be twice that, but I know it's a lot - imagine trying to collect all those leaves?! Different pebbles & stones from places you visit, press wild flowers, maybe if you can get a garden at some point, they may be interested in having their own little veggie plot - growing tomatoes & peppers in pots on the patio is quite possible - they'll have great fun making stuffed peppers, things like that, & that's what the kids remember too! They probably can't do that at home! And as you say, be fab to wean them off the FF Junk Train & start your tradition of eating round the table & sharing the day with each other... So it's going to offer up a whole new range of opportunities for you, which will be so exciting...

AND, Herbster wants to know - what is this about Bear Droppings? He wasn't aware there were any REAL bears in Australia?! And it depends, again, where you end up as to how aggressive the wildlife is! So far, so good here in Tassie (probably another reason we wanted to come here!) But moving to our own country home - I did notice there were some quite large ants with the same ideas... so long as they are not the Jumping variety!! Going to see it at last on Saturday - only seen it that 1st visit, so can't wait - tape measure - camera charged! - So where are you hoping to go and do you have any family/contacts in your chosen area??

And, Lyn - I'm very sorry about your Broadband - that is so unfortunate, we couldn't live without decent BB, & even though we're in the sticks with no garbage collection, mains water or sewer we do so far have our best BB connection ever!! Just hope it will be the same at our new house...

All things to bear in mind... Another Day another new Experience... :yes:

All the Best Everyone, X

thank you for posts liek this, i know how i will be, ATM its all push push push to get visas and get otu there, when i get there it'll be all organise organise organise to get kids in school, get a house sorted ( we will probably rent for a while so we are sure we liek the area, having a £180k mortgage here it will make a welcome change to have change at the end of the month!

You will find morgages here are about the same if not more interest rate a lately makes it look better

M from K

then, i will crash down and miss home terribly. that will be when i get my scrapbooking stuff out and start scrapping this wonderful new country with new things all round, and yes i will probs compare to UK. how can you not, this is everything i have ever known and having been warned about drop bears already ( seriously, OZ has lethal snakes, spiders and assorted deadly fish - do we really need to worry about bears dropping on us?) we eat out a lot here, mcdonalds, pizza, and its just cos im lazy and its there and cheap. i cannot wait to have no choice but to cook for my family and maybe get them to accept the 5 a day i force them to have here, as a choice, not a commandment LOL

right now im just waiting waiting waiting for the visa, we are coming over on 457 so have to wait and see fi they off dh a job first... tick tock

]

Hi Lynn and TJ. thanks Lynn for sharing your experiences - it really is two steps forward and one step back and then vice versa isnt it? it would be good to hear your experiences when you go back to the uk for your visit! I have left my 2 sons aged 20 and 22 as one is at uni and the other in love lol but they are both coming out and i am sure the lifestyle will tempt them! I really regret I wasnt able to do this earlier when they were small and I am sure it would have given me more of a way in with them making friends too meeting parents etc.

TJ I too am on a 457 visa, it is granted relatively quickly so be prepared. it is sensible to plan for the fact you will maybe feel some sense of loss about leaving the uk however to what extent is really going to be unique to you. We are living in uncertain times given the world financial crises and it is just soooo good not to be bombarded by the medias representation of the world all the time. once you step out of the uk you will truly see what dominance they have over how we live and perceive our lives. WA news is something else however please expect it to be un pc and close your eyes when they show you videos as they show the worst bits which would not even be shown after the water shed in the uk- I am still getting over inadvertantly seeing the beating of the kangaroo incident!

Herbster my friend has to be so careful with what she eats coz of additives and when they say it is free from....it invariably isnt she says.

I am sure people do come out here and love it 100% straight off and reading the posts it obvious some do and for others I suspect that it feels at first like the biggest holiday adventure ever which just goes on and and on until all of a sudden they realise they have had enough. We just cant judge how it will feel until we actually try it for ourselves but the point is not feeling you are on your own which I think is what this site is truly about. I really miss the diversity of the uk but not the crmmed in feeling. One lady I made friends with on training came from a regional area and told me that she had met a hundred new people during the 3 months which was a very big thing for her-I could do this easily in the uk at least every month!

Hi Lynn and TJ. thanks Lynn for sharing your experiences - it really is two steps forward and one step back and then vice versa isnt it? it would be good to hear your experiences when you go back to the uk for your visit! I have left my 2 sons aged 20 and 22 as one is at uni and the other in love lol but they are both coming out and i am sure the lifestyle will tempt them! I really regret I wasnt able to do this earlier when they were small and I am sure it would have given me more of a way in with them making friends too meeting parents etc.

Good description that! and my sentiments exactly in regarding to wishing I'd done it when kids were small. Sometimes I feel that we left it too late really in that it is harder to start over when that little bit older. Fine if you are coming to join family but on your own...... I do often question my sanity LOL but then it's never too late really is it!

I will be happy to share my experiences when we visit the UK and return again.

Herbster, 'Unsure' is probably about right! but what I do know is, is that if we do go back it won't be Australia's fault even with the useless broadband :biglaugh:

Lyn x

Archived