Can anyone relate to this?

Waitingawhile

Oh wow that was a week of pure home sickness like nothing I could have expected then by Friday morning it had lifted some. I am the sentimental type you are so right!

The lack of historical evidence or anything to connect with the past of this country is pitiful and alarming in some respects, there are small museums, very badly funded, sparsely dotted about and very tiny telling the story of very small communities belonging to settlers. I guess in terms of being a much smaller population than the USA this lack of history is reflected however there is also a lack of being invited in to share the indigenous culture on any grand scale although I know it is there and as rich and wonderful as any in this world-the belief in the spirit world exisiting as part of the whole life experience every day, the yarning and the dancing! Anyone seeing the dances of various animals mimiced by the dancers will know how deep the understanding of this native people of their land and how harmful it has been for them to be disconnected. The commitment within the culture to keeping a balance in the land and looking after the animals and plants was there before western civilisation brought change good and bad-we cant be blamed for what went before but we can acknowledge it so we can try to find a way in moving on but anyway........perhaps they dont want to remember the bad or am I a cynic!

Getting off my high horse are you any nearer to getting your own lol! lizxxx

I`m intereste to see you are a historian. I study history with the OU for since 1999 did all the graft level 3`s etc fell at he final 60 points, the easy beat thro work commitments and the move here, well I have a degree anOPen Open which seems like a failure when i did the hard bit for the honours. I think Oz has a lot to offer historically, there are more issues here than there ever was in the US. Different migrations and cultures have a heavy influence on the emergence of the country. I wish I coukd afford to study at the OU as a foreign student ut financial constraints mean it is not possible just to get the thing I studied for and to say to my doubters "no I am not thick "

Mally

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Mally,

You don't need a Piece of Paper to indulge what you love; to Learn, Inquire & Develop your love of History - as you know, pieces of Paper are as much to impress other people as to prove anything to yourself... A degree from the Open University is a degree & if it doesn't count for Something, then that is a sad indictment on those who don't recognize that- not you, to be sure!

I think what we are trying to identify is, reasons perhaps, for feeling Homesick or to fathom out why a Place just doesn't sit right ?... I'm not one to just accept that I don't like a place, (that's just irrational!) I have to find out WHY! If I don't figure that out, how will I ever know my feelings were justified & not make the same mistake again - or is it a Mistake - or just a phase that will pass with Time? I have to think about these things - an inquiring mind needs to know!!! Have you ever had a feeling when arriving somewhere you longed to be - it all looks fine, in theory there's nothing there you shouldn't like, but actually you feel very unsettled, uncomfortable & out of place, & how frustrating is that, when all should be well?! We're just pondering the possibilities, the Whys & Where For's for those feelings...

I think what myself & my partner (living in S.Tassie, which actually is quite historic - (other areas of the country may be different, or not?) that there is still an unsettling Feel to the place, beyond what is obvious! There is something missing beyond the familiar, & we are trying to figure out why that is. Perhaps, surprisingly, my OH finds he misses the History, much more than his family, & I used to think he was dragged around Historical Places just to humor me!

Everything New is a great attraction for many folk & even if they are not interested in history or consider their connection to what preceded them, they could well be disappointed when it comes time to get married/celebrate an important anniversary... For now, that little country church they'd dreamed of, or grand old Manor house isn't available for the nuptials, celebrations - what ever, and that might hurt! Take cities like London, York, Granada, they are saturated in Human History, the general population might ignore it, take it for granted, but that convoluted Past is what makes them the Cities they are today, and influences how we live & survive in/around them. Our connection to that past is tangible if we just consider it for a mo! Even when they build on farmland (in other countries) that has been cultivated & managed for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, it's not WILD! People might look at UK Countryside & think it's a natural thing, but it isn't! I don't suppose when folk bemoan the lack of M&S or Ikea, or complain about the lack of insulation or double glazing that they realize they are harking back to a history that delivered these amenities out of necessity, so perhaps they are actually missing something much deeper, which has permeated their psyche, something they don't even recognize, but now realize is gone!?

We find it quite strange, really, that we are moving to a property that has only been knowingly inhabited by 2 other families, so far as we can tell there is no indication of previous human involvement - how many places, just in the UK could you say that about? It's naturally ancient but new at the same time - or it it?!

Liz: Your horse isn't that high at all - I can't see anything wrong in Thinking about THINGS/LIFE, as there is more to it than shopping & TV! Sorry - but just what DID peeps do before them?! People don't have to agree, but we all have a right to think & express & explore an opinion, it'll be a scary old place when we feel frightened to do that. I don't think you are cynical, just pondering, you might think differently about all This in a few months time, which doesn't invalidate how you feel now! Nothing really stays the same... I think there is consensus that SOMETHING is missing for us, it's just open to conjecture just WHAT THAT IS...?

I hope you are feeling better this week, it's strange how it seems to hit in waves, often out of the blue, unannounced... As you said, you knew it wouldn't be easy; you are embracing the Experience as you say which is fantastic, while at the same time feeling uncomfortable! As my OH says, living here seems to be much about compromise and trade-offs but we are also looking beyond the shores of OZ to other opportunities this location will offer for exploration, that would have been so difficult to take advantage of had we stayed in UK... But now I have to motivate myself to pack up the last few boxes, clean the last 1/2 dz cupboards & shelves so we can further explore the nature of Oz...

Hope this week is a happier one for you... :hug: X

Guest tenquidder

Hi Folks

Spent an idyllic Sunday afternoon at Doyle's seafood restaurant in Watson's Bay, celebrating my son's 26th birthday. Caught the ferry from Circular Quay, and they'd reserved us a table by the window overlooking the harbour. Not cheap, but worth the experience if you're ever in the neighbourhood. Sydney does have a bit over 200 years of history, and yes, we should do everything we can to cherish and preserve what's left of our indigenous culture. At least Kevin Rudd did the right thing and said sorry (party political broadcast ends here).

Chris

I`m intereste to see you are a historian. I study history with the OU for since 1999 did all the graft level 3`s etc fell at he final 60 points, the easy beat thro work commitments and the move here, well I have a degree anOPen Open which seems like a failure when i did the hard bit for the honours. I think Oz has a lot to offer historically, there are more issues here than there ever was in the US. Different migrations and cultures have a heavy influence on the emergence of the country. I wish I coukd afford to study at the OU as a foreign student ut financial constraints mean it is not possible just to get the thing I studied for and to say to my doubters "no I am not thick "

Mally

You know Mally to study whilst working and having a life through the Open Uni is not to be dismissed in the slightest it takes real commitment and employers like this! knowing a bit about education I can tell you that they use the best lecturers they can get to over see courses and standards are high -and some of those publish work which is used by students on other courses! The OU has a world wide reputation and good on you for going for it - I really wish you could have completed is there an equivalent here and can you transfer or do a top up course? Dont forget Lenny Henry did his English BA -it took him 6 years with OU and with Dawn he came into contact with all the top alternative comedians who left Oxford Uni etc etc -this could have made him feel small but instead he made a life changing decision to go for it and he stayed with it if it is good enough for him it is good enough for anyone!

It is so good to hear your good times Tenquidder! it sounds bliss- We went to see the fireworks on Rockingham foreshore on Saturday- expected crowds but did not ge tthe throng you would get on bonfire night in the UK -they were fab though!

the mix of cultures here is good but not noted in quite the same way in the Uk e.g. I have a Slav` friend and an Italian one who talk of being ethnic girls! The appology to the indigenous people was long overdue and extremely brave in helping the people begin some sort of healing- as I work with very alienated people and have done so for many years I do note similarities too and those indigenous people that are very alienated from the mainstream seem to use similar techniques to those people I worked with who were travellors in the UK-adopting certain behaviours with those in perceived authority, telling you what they think you want to hear, not letting you in at all applying learnt techniques and knowing how to play/work the system by feigning naivete -it is something to be admired if it wasnt so frustrating:rolleyes:. I guess this is where my interest historically truly lies - understanding why and unpicking process simply because I want in some small way to effect positive change or at least not unknowingly continue to perpetrate oppressive practice and........ it is so damn annoying not to be able to easily achieve access to the historical information I want. Combine this with the fact I am simply a human being and not totally altruistic through and through, living far from my kids having an adventure of sorts in my 40`s and I guess I am just out of my comfort zone, trying to find a new one whilst trying also to understand just what I mean by comfort and where this concept came from:biglaugh:Hope the move goes well Herbster xxxxxx

Fascinating - Rocki, I agree, that if we don't explore some of the world around us & how we fit within it, we are missing learning so much, not just about that greater world & how others function within it, but about ourselves & how we manage... As you say, on the Scale of Life Changing Activities, changing country's is up there! But, as we know, compared to what many people in the world go through - on a daily basis, having lost Everything, and then everything else on top of that, property, their villages, livelihoods, homes, family members, whether to pestilence or petulant, puerile despots, how they cope, manage, continue to function, maybe at the lowest levels, yet survive speaks of a depth of human spirit and determination, resilience and desire to thrive that is perhaps innate within us all.

We don't even have to look to the World's traditional trouble spots for that - just look at our neighbors that might have gone through horrendous bush fires, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, major crime - literally one minute they could be just living their usual, comfortable lives, & the next their world is upside down, thrown into chaos & in a matter of minutes changed beyond imagination

I know none of us likes being uncomfortable, & these days I think many of us are accustomed to being comfortable (as a retailer, that was my 1st priority!) so, whether it's the car that we drive, which comfortably fits our personality, smooth to handle, easy going on the backside for long journey's, everything handy @ the flick of a switch, to one's ergonomic office chair, from the fact we can enjoy climate control in our car, office or home, to fresh food from the fridge, to a cornucopia of options from the local, comfortably close, one-stop supermarket... which leads me to wonder, probably, in the long term, what harm does it do us to be uncomfortable from time to time, to struggle a bit, not to have everything we desire on tap? Maybe it's old fashioned to say it, but it's character-building isn't it?! For, myself, used to having relatively few material possessions, having grown up extremely uncomfortably, certainly by today's standards, in more ways than one, toughened up by a little adversity, I seem to be constantly outside my comfort zone, to the extent that I don't even know if I have one! A touch of self-denial is what's got me & mine here, so was actually good for us, & has, in the long run, taught me plenty. And, as you say, it's taught others, maybe even to usurp The System, or to milk it to one's advantage (playing the Guilt Card?) & again that's a fascinating issue - given the same circumstances, different people take completely opposing Life Rds... WHY?! And don't think I'm being personal, here Liz, as I'm not thinking that way, at all, but in larger more general terms... as I don't want to underestimate or minimize anyones feeling of Homesickness or displacement, not at all... as we all suffer from time to time, even me, who seems the unwilling Epitome of Adaptability!

When I look at some youngsters growing up today, I am concerned; everything is on tap, on demand, readily available, they don't realize it, but they are entirely Dependant on other's for all their needs - what happens when the power goes out, the computer dies, the dot.com doesn't deliver & the pumps stop pumping or the banks stop loaning? I think that's my underlying fear, that because we have become too comfortable, too dependent & removed from our roots, that many wouldn't be able to cope when the chips are down, when we'd need all our acquired skills & innate responses just to survive.

So my basic question is, has our Life Experiences to date more to do with how we'll survive/thrive on this move to OZ, than loads of Research, Fulfilling a Dream or being here to Better Ourselves? And, once we are HERE, will we be able to shake off our (perhaps) self-imposed bounds, to be able to truly explore and assimilate the diversity of experiences, people, adventures, natural wonders and divergent elements that are OZ, or will our Past insist on hampering us in some way?

Yes, that's my question, that's what's bugging me?! Glad I got that off my chest!

Well apart from trying to figure out Grandiose Motivations, our house Settles tomorrow! I suppose I've been a nomad of sorts for over (I've got some yrs on you Liz, lol!) - well most of my life, I just wonder how that's going to feel, to be anchored as it were - will I love it, or resent it, or merely adapt as seems my Destiny?!

Have a great - disaster-free-Day! A happy day would be recommended, at least! :)

Herbster XXX

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Herbster havent been on for quite a while to post-but since the home sickness week of no return I have been enjoying myself a little-cant say what exactly has changed perhaps it is just relief that I dont feel homesick or perhaps it is becuase my eldest faced with the cold dark uk weather has finally decided to plan to come over. Really hoping the house settled and you are moved in or in the process. defining comfort is a biggie I am still thinking about that one lol

Really enjoying the lack of hierarchy at work though -that class thing in the uk is not missedxx

Guest tandcmum

Thankyou all for such a wonderfully balanced and down to earth thread. So many times on these kind of forums you get threads at the most extreme ends of the spectrum, those that absolutely love Oz and won't hear a bad word said about it, and those that hate it so bad they can't see anything good.

This thread has made me realise that when we move over we can expect to feel lost, and isolated and unsettled but that this is okay and it doesn't mean we can't settle.

We are planning to move over to either Perth or Cairns next year and will probably be coming over on a 457 but employer will sponsor for PR after 3-6 months which we will then do, however we have already said that we are coming over for an adventure, to see what it's like, because we will regret it if we don't try, but have never said that this will be our final resting place and if it doesn't work out we can come home and say at least we gave it a go and be richer people (not financially but personally) for the experience.

Hi Tandcmum: Welcome to PIO - yes, sometimes this Forum can be a wild & crazy place, sometimes all doom & gloom, other times, bright sunshine & glowing refrains - reports of Life anywhere really - And I must say I do think some people have way too much time on their hands to be on here morning noon & night - & when they are supposed to be at work!! Now that we've moved in (another STORY - but DO bare in mind typically here Revivalists only allocate a 2-men crew to move you lock, stock & barrel - look at your home - how many bits need two people to lift them Then visualize one of those items on a gorillas head??? EKKKKKK! You'll get the idea!) I can't imagine I'm going to have so much time to pontificate!

I'm sure much of one's reactions to moving to a new place, however far away from your present home, begins with attitude (Willingness & Positivity along with a spirit of Adventure will carry you far...) then Expectation (the more realistic the better!) that all tempered with Experience and a whole heap of Research so you don't end up right from the beginning in a place you can't stand... My point always is, Yes: OZ is NOT like UK - but then many of us left the UK for specific reasons, so if it were just the same here, why bother to go thru that EXTREME MOVING EXPERIENCE - as the whole process is very invasive, costly not just monetarily, but emotionally, culturally & the loss of close support networks, can't be denied, as well as the fact the average Ozzie (like the Average Brit) has NO idea of what we've been through to get here (or vise versa to UK!) - which can in itself be somewhat disheartening, when we were led to believe all along that they really wanted us! There is a world of Difference between Cairns & Perth and where you guys currently reside, so please ask yourselves carefully, what you really want - what DO you REALLY, REALLY want from this move?! All the best, it'll be a great Education, if nothing else!

Hi Liz, Glad things are looking a little happier & brighter for you - I've been thinking of you during our Move, & hoping No News WAS good news - so I'm happy about that. From my experience of living abroad, I'd suggest getting the Loved Ones out to visit within a year or so, rather than one returning first, as I always think it curious how people take Possession of a place when others come into it... Just the same on our camp site/leisure parks at home - the people that have been before, even kids, or've been on site a week really lord it over the newbies - they show off this feature or that asset, rushing to prove their knowledge & take the Newbies to all the best places first - and I've noted it time & again in many differing situations; it's a very interesting phenomena, and mark my words, once your boys and loved ones start visiting you'll be having a grand time showing them all your favorite sites, taking them to special places, favorite restaurants, wonderful beaches, etc., & it probably will be in glowing terms, too & you'll be trying to encourage them to move over HERE!!!

No one can replace the Missing History from this country, that seems to ooze from the the very fabric of so many other places we can list, but that apart, it has a unique and quirky identity which is bound to appeal on some level to many people - because it's so new, it is pretty easy for most any one to fit in - & I'm sure, just like UK there are many places here that you'd hate to live, just as there would be in UK...Only last night at my OH's Christmas Dinner dance, I was speaking to several different people, xpats & native Aussies who had lived in (sorry) Perth & pretty well hated it - said it's tolerable for a couple years, but after that, too severe, there is just summer & winter & of course the ever-present drought restrictions - but even so, there is beauty there, but is that ever enough...

Ps: Out Neighbors seem to be soooo pleased we've moved in, the previous owners were a little Difficult, what with their arsonist-tic tendencies, plus a joy of shooting anything that moved - oh yes & boozing in the bush till all hours & dirt-biking - & we'd thought a horrible bush fire had ravished the land... Yes, so we are very tired - cutting foot-high grass & weeds with blunt old shears is not recommended - a lawn mower would be too easy, wouldn't it!? But we have a home at last & it's great we seem to have friendly neighbors who are PLEASED to see us!

X Herbster in the Hills Now!

Guest tandcmum

Thanks Herbster for the welcome. I'm still deliberating between Cairns and Perth. My heart says Cairns as i like that laid back small town feel as i have never been one for big cities, but then my head is telling me perth, because i'm not sure the heat and humidity would suit is all year round, because i think there will be more career opportunities for my husband in Perth, more hospitals for me to work at, and also being a horsey person the equestrian facilites seem to be in more of an abundance in perth than they do in cairns with lots of agistment places for when i eventually get my own again, and lots of places to have lessons until then. Also having access to places like ikea nad super a mart for cheap furniture etc. will be a big help when first moving over.

Hi Tandcmum:

It isn't an easy process trying to settle on a place to live for the next who-knows how many years, especially if you really don't know it well (visiting on hol is one thing - living in a place is so different) let alone if you've never been at all & are just trying to get a sense of the Place from the Guide Books & Political Hype! I have a feeling that peeps probably do need to follow their hearts - their instinct in one sense, while trying not to be too beguiled by the glowing reports and overly positive spin emanating from Official Sources, etc., after all it's their job to get migrants to their area!... I've seen pictures of Perth of course, with some stunning coastal scenery, but it worries me that the people I've met who have lived there, aren't there any longer. I get a sense it seems to be an almost love it or hate it type place... As I said yesterday, you do have to consider the climate if you aren't overly keen on hi-30's into 40's for days/weeks on end! It does sound a bit extreme compared to what you guys are used to, also it's geographic location is not to be ignored either... There def aren't the seasons as we know them, and the water restrictions are SERIOUS & on-going - with all the new construction and continuing expansion, the stress on already limited natural resources can not be ignored...

Let me give you one piece of evidence from close to Home:- an almost verdant & damp Tassie compared to dessicated Perth - We were going to take on the pony that lived here, but when we looked at the lack of general vegetation & grass we decided against it. Our neighbor has three ponies & a very vocal donkey, & I mentioned to him how glad I was to see them, as we didn't have any 4-legged friends at present... Well, he said, he grew up with horses & when he bought the place, it had land & rain wasn't an issue 15-yrs ago, having horses & ponies was just natural & they were economical lawn mowers, but now - last few years rainfall has been decreasing year on year & sure, he loves them & has ample room, BUT it's costing a fortune in extra feed & fodder as the land just can't produce enough to keep a few low-cost ponies, fowls & ducks...

Have you considered Victoria, it's not too extreme, it has seasons, adequate rainfall, some interesting towns & cities with attractive coastal & inland scenery...? We changed our minds several times before settling on Tas, & nothing so far has really made us sorry - we are curious to explore the Mainland - it's a huge & varied land, but we enjoy Tassie's low-key, laid back style, plus we could actually afford a home with land here & the weather is definitely very interesting, also we gets loads of sunshine & people do have horses, but again even here, we are cognoscente of the rainfall situation... although we've had over an inch in the week we've been here - perhaps we are Rain Gods in disguise & perhaps one day horses will run in the meadows & wallabies graze the bush & high ground!!

Good Luck, there's nothing about this Process that's Easy or Comfortable, you've just got to keep @ it & be prepared to change your minds - often!!

Guest treesea

I had to laugh reading your posts about the cold in Australia and the cost of the utility bills. We came back home to the UK nearly five years ago. Our gas bill alone in Australia was more expensive than our electricity bill is here, and here we are in an all electric place. We had gas central heating in Australia and had it on constantly in the winter. So here we are, coming home, and I am all excited about experiencing a 'real winter'. Well, they used to have real winters here, a few decades ago.... "Scotland", we thought to ourselves. "There's a place that's bound to have real snow...." Hah! The winters are a joke. Here we are in December and we're still wandering around the house in bare feet without heaters. When it snows, it sits for not even 24 hours - a very "can't be bothered" effort. Yes, for sure, I've been colder in Melbourne than here. Here houses and flats are definitely built to keep the cold out. Though, having said that, we don't have double glazing or central heating here, and we had both in Australia.

I had to laugh reading your posts about the cold in Australia and the cost of the utility bills. We came back home to the UK nearly five years ago. Our gas bill alone in Australia was more expensive than our electricity bill is here, and here we are in an all electric place. We had gas central heating in Australia and had it on constantly in the winter. So here we are, coming home, and I am all excited about experiencing a 'real winter'. Well, they used to have real winters here, a few decades ago.... "Scotland", we thought to ourselves. "There's a place that's bound to have real snow...." Hah! The winters are a joke. Here we are in December and we're still wandering around the house in bare feet without heaters. When it snows, it sits for not even 24 hours - a very "can't be bothered" effort. Yes, for sure, I've been colder in Melbourne than here. Here houses and flats are definitely built to keep the cold out. Though, having said that, we don't have double glazing or central heating here, and we had both in Australia.

Amazing Treesea! I don't think I've been in a house here yet that's enjoyed the benefits of either double glazing or central heat! And I just spoke to my sister this morning down near Plymouth & she's been running her heat for days, saying it's only going to get to 6 degrees tomorrow & it was around 1-2C then, around midnight & she was complaining Big Time: I think she's convinced It's the End of The World as She Knew it in UK - what with Woolworth's & MFI history, etc. & NO potential buyers on the Horizon for her house...

However, it is weird how sometimes Scotland can be warmer than even S Devon - got to thank the Golf Stream & of course Devon does stick out into the Atlantic, which can get pretty wild at times! But I have heard peeps have had snow in England, not sure about Scotland, this winter already, so you never know, you may get a REAL Winter yet... As you are right about the milder winters the last decade or so; we were glad that for the 4-yrs we were up North of Hadrian's Wall the winter's weren't like they used to be, being that we're Southern Wimps! But I'll bet, it won't be long and everyone will be complaining about the icy Arctic Blasts & the snow drifts & not being able to get to work/school...!

But you're def right about it getting cold here - it DOES get cold - maybe not always, not everyday, but compared to how warm it can get, and a quick check of my weather station, it is only 14 degrees outdoors, so hardly balmy,then factor in the wind, so I've just lit my fire - & Wednesday I got sun burnt! But then that's TASSIE for you!

Enjoy Edinburgh... We never did get up for Christmas, it's supposed to be lovely - many years ago I had a Burns Night Celebration in Dalkeith & I remember it being frosty then - but that was back sometime before the Millennium! Merry Christmas!

Guest tandcmum

yep the seasons up here in scotland have definalty gone wonky, it's pretty much grey, cloudy, wet and warm in summer and grey, cloudy, wet and cold in winter

Well they are predicting a cooler summer in Perth this year and it has just had one of the wettest Novembers on record! The lifestyle here is much more laid back than the Uk although dont know how it compares to Tassie. You are isolated from the rest of the country and they do have a bit of a renegade spirit here in my opinion having some laws independant from the rest of the country. However the sunshines each day at some point and Perth is worth at least a look in my humble opinion.

The weather changes have been enormous every where I remember as a child in Doncaster shovelling snow to get out of the door to the coal bunker this time of year or deep thick fog but now you`re lucky to see a little flurry once or twice a year. Rains are definitely heavier hence the serious flooding and is it just me or do the rain drops actually match those in the scene in the Matrix 3 when they are as big as gob stopppers?

congrats on making it to the hills Herbster!

Well they are predicting a cooler summer in Perth this year and it has just had one of the wettest Novembers on record! The lifestyle here is much more laid back than the Uk although dont know how it compares to Tassie. You are isolated from the rest of the country and they do have a bit of a renegade spirit here in my opinion having some laws independant from the rest of the country. However the sunshines each day at some point and Perth is worth at least a look in my humble opinion.

The weather changes have been enormous every where I remember as a child in Doncaster shovelling snow to get out of the door to the coal bunker this time of year or deep thick fog but now you`re lucky to see a little flurry once or twice a year. Rains are definitely heavier hence the serious flooding and is it just me or do the rain drops actually match those in the scene in the Matrix 3 when they are as big as gob stopppers?

YOU WERE LUCKY shovellin snow to get out of door LUXURY! we used to dreamm about havin a door, we used to get up break thro the foot thick ice of our puddle in road dig thro 8 foot snow drifts work 24 hours a day for nowt and get a thrashing from the boss for good behaviour luxury

Mally

( sorry could not resist )

Guest treesea
Amazing Treesea! I don't think I've been in a house here yet that's enjoyed the benefits of either double glazing or central heat! And I just spoke to my sister this morning down near Plymouth & she's been running her heat for days, saying it's only going to get to 6 degrees tomorrow & it was around 1-2C then, around midnight & she was complaining Big Time: I think she's convinced It's the End of The World as She Knew it in UK - what with Woolworth's & MFI history, etc. & NO potential buyers on the Horizon for her house...

However, it is weird how sometimes Scotland can be warmer than even S Devon - got to thank the Golf Stream & of course Devon does stick out into the Atlantic, which can get pretty wild at times! But I have heard peeps have had snow in England, not sure about Scotland, this winter already, so you never know, you may get a REAL Winter yet... As you are right about the milder winters the last decade or so; we were glad that for the 4-yrs we were up North of Hadrian's Wall the winter's weren't like they used to be, being that we're Southern Wimps! But I'll bet, it won't be long and everyone will be complaining about the icy Arctic Blasts & the snow drifts & not being able to get to work/school...!

But you're def right about it getting cold here - it DOES get cold - maybe not always, not everyday, but compared to how warm it can get, and a quick check of my weather station, it is only 14 degrees outdoors, so hardly balmy,then factor in the wind, so I've just lit my fire - & Wednesday I got sun burnt! But then that's TASSIE for you!

Enjoy Edinburgh... We never did get up for Christmas, it's supposed to be lovely - many years ago I had a Burns Night Celebration in Dalkeith & I remember it being frosty then - but that was back sometime before the Millennium! Merry Christmas!

I haven't been to Tassie, but I have heard that it can feel like the coldest place on earth in a winter when the Antartic winds come visiting. For double glazing and central heating, try the north eastern part of Melbourne. Or somewhere like Ferntree Gully, in the non sunny part of the Dandenongs lower slopes.

Dalkeith is above the snowline, whereas we live near the sea. We wrote back to Oz and NZ friends when we first came here that we were a bit disappointed with the weather. So the second winter we were here - the usual effort in North Edinburgh, snow that fell buy melted straight away, or fell during the night and was gone by 10am - we happened to go to Bonnyrigg, just north of Dalkeith and only 10 miles or so away, and above the snowline. What a surprise. It was towards the end of January (takes Scotland a while to realise there's meant to be a winter of sorts, lol) and it was like Canada. White as far as the eye could see. Thick snow on all the branches of the trees. Snowmen in people's gardens.

I do remember one of my family over here commenting when we first moved up to Scotland that if it were winter we were looking for, we'd see more action on the snow/winter front in Cornwall or Devon or in parts of Yorkshire than we would see in the eastern part of Scotland. And so it has proven.

Guest treesea

Yes, I remember big rains in Australia, both in Melbourne and Perth. I thought that they didn't have rain like that over here until one day in Mancehster, when the rain came down in sheets, rather than drops, and the street was flooded, as in three inches of water within about half an hour or so.

I don't know about Australia being all that laid back though. Maybe in attitude, but talk about go, go, go. When we lived there, there seemed to be something going on nearly every day. It definitely wasn't a "laze around and relax" kind of place. I thought when we first went to Australia that the sun would make everyone chill out and not want to do much. hah, I got that wrong. Now I am back here, I realise that it's the cold that makes people laze around in front of the TV or curled up with a good book, eating nourishing comfort food, not the sun.

Each to their own, but I find Scotland heaps more relaxing than Australia. Aussie is the place to go if you fancy some action, imho.

Guest treesea

Tandcmum, Perth vs Cairns - wow, that's quite an extreme comparison. They are really different, and both a long way from anywhere. Though I wouldn't have said either of them were particularly "small town" ish. For smaller places, I recommend checking out places like Byron Bay and Bermagui. There's lots of work for nurses in Australia, from the big cities to the back of beyond. Thinking of Cairns, Queensland has a pretty good economy and is a very well run state.

Guest tenquidder
Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen sketch brill. LOve to see similar 4 Aussies sketch mind you see it everyday at work

Mally

Mate!!

100 lashes and transportation for life for stealing a sheep!

Give us a break

Guest tandcmum
Tandcmum, Perth vs Cairns - wow, that's quite an extreme comparison. They are really different, and both a long way from anywhere. Though I wouldn't have said either of them were particularly "small town" ish. For smaller places, I recommend checking out places like Byron Bay and Bermagui. There's lots of work for nurses in Australia, from the big cities to the back of beyond. Thinking of Cairns, Queensland has a pretty good economy and is a very well run state.

Yes they are pretty extreme aren't they and yes both isolated, maybe i like the idea of being isolated. When i mean small town though i mean anything other than places similar to london ro birmingham, i can cope with small cities and suburbs of cities but i could never hack the hustle and bustle of a major city everyday, i need open space and quiet for at least some of the time. I also don't want to go too small as hubby does need to find work and I would like to have shops and facilities close to hand as well.

I have been researching the towns and cities of Oz quite a lot and i don't know why but i am only drawn to Perth and Cairns for some reason so have decided to start off in one of those and my heart probably lies in Cairns i think but we will see what i get offered job and package wise as that might make a difference to how our life starts and therefore effect our perception of the place

Archived