We've arrived...2nd thoughts?

Shazzi

Hi

I feel the same as you, I really do!! Have I made the right decision!! You are right things are well over priced even the clothes in target!!! There's no peacock's here i'm affraid

Bazz got our appliances from "queensland used appliance" in bowen hills. They are like new and in excellent condition and cheap as well. Boys in work told him about it. We bought a 2nd hand washing machine (like new) for 500 dollars but got 200 cash back off government water saving scheme. So also have a look around for cashback deals. So really cost us bout 130 quid, not bad.

Yes there are load of garage sales as well. But also for funiture go to "A Mart". They are quite cheap, bit like "The Range" if u had 1 of them.

But I know exactly how you fell I've been here a month as well, but you have got to give it a go. I've also been on all the sites looking for friends, so far made quite a few. So if you wanna get in touch and meet up for a good moan, no probs.....I got all day, as I cant go to work until end of jan when Kacy starts schl....

We can help each other if you like, just pm me if your feel like winging to a welsh pom!!

Jules x

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chellynel

Hey I feel the same way as you and I am orignally from Australia ! We moved back in June after I had been away 13 years....so I am learning where to shop & where not to as well !! All these things take time and you need to give yourself at least 12-18 months to "settle in"....

Things do seem more expensive here and I do miss ASDA !! but I think you just need to "shop around" and find the cheaper ways to shop and it's always cheaper to buy in Bulk and to buy from the Deli Counter rather than pre-packaged foods etc...

Have you found Bunnings yet for DIY stuff (it's very much the equivalent of B&Q or Homebase) - also my friend gave me a tip that you can always offer a CASH price and get a discount in most stores in Australia. So just always ASK if you can get a discount for cash when buying anything.

Good Luck and I hope you start enjoying it more soon !! It will get better !! Just make sure you get out & about & do the things that are FREE like going & have BBQ's along the beachfront etc...things you just CANT do in the UK.

Again, think about why you moved...if it was for the kids then think about them & if they are happy then you will be eventually too !

M xx

So, an update...we've been here just over 8 weeks now and its still a bit of a roller coaster to be honest. Some days I love it, I wake up in the morning to sunny blue skies and enjoy the day...other days, I still think what the hell have I done and I miss lots of stuff from back home. The thing is I am not being as harsh on myself now and giving it time - I know some people love it instantly and know they have made the right decision, I am just not one of those people. I'm finding it a lot harder than I expected to settle in BUT keep reminding myself its still only 8 weeks, not 8 months and I need to just let things happen at their own pace. I promised myself I would give it a year and then review it after that, and I still intend to do that, although I know there will be ups and downs along the way...I suppose I am more prepared for that now.

It didn't help that at the end of my first week at work, my new employer let 25 staff go(out of 100) due to the current economic climate, and they are sponsoring me! But they have assured me my job is safe, or as safe as anyone can make such promises in this climate. They know that if they let me go I would need to return to the UK...unless I could find another sponsor asap, which in this economy may be difficult. I initially had a little panic, but now am not worrying about the "what/if" scenerio, if that happens, it happens, it was meant to be and all that.

Also wasn't great when I transferred all our UK cash from our house sale when the rate was 2.25, great I thought, only to find a week later it was upto 2.60! Doh!! Lost a fair few thousand £'s, and although I was really peed off at the time, I now think what the hell, its only money. I know some people come here with hardly anything at all and still are positive. I'm trying to stay out of the negative head space as it doesn't help you go forward...some days I'm better at it than others, but it's a work in progress as they say!

I've actually learnt a lot about myself over the last few weeks, at home you are in such a familiar pattern and surrounded by friends and family that you just get caught up in the routine, now that has all been stripped away and I am out here on my own (well, with my hubby and wee boy) it has made me think about what I value, what I really like and dislike and what I'm prepared to put up with and not.. if nothing else it's been a good exercise in re-evaluating myself and challenging some of those pre-conceived ideas you have about yourself ie. I previously thought I was good at handling and adapting to change, both personally and professionally... I have found out, I am most definitely not!! OMG I'm sounding like a life coach/hippy now - I obviously have far too much time on my hands to think about "stuff!" I need to get out more...anybody want to be friends with my new Karma self??

Sharon

jesus wept! im not someone who is coming over expecting it to be cheap, perfect weather, friendly natives and top wages etc, but im sorry ( and glad in a way!)that i started reading this thread! im a bit of a sceptic anyway so "living the dream" has never entered my head tbh, but this thread is a little bit too depressing even for a cynic like me, so im going to bury my head in the sand ( just a little bit ) and sell up and come over anyway. seriously though , its a good thread, prepares you for what is possibly to come. we will see.

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi Shazzi

I think my wife has been replying to you , we are from East CALDER (Livingston ) if you want to have a blether with her let me have your number or e mail me through the site.

I am sure you could do with hearing another Scottish voice and someone who has been out here for 7 months..

look forward to hearing from you , it does get better and i think Linda has said we are hoping to move to Brisbane in Feb (from Hobart)

Pablo - you have to do it for yourself, your experience may be completley different to mine, as I said many love it and as soon as they land they are completley content. I don't regret coming out here as I know if I hadn't done it I would have really regretted it later in life, at least we had the balls to try it and if it doesn't work out I will go home with no regrets...a fair bit lighter on the bank balance, but no regrets! Hopefully that won't happen anyway.

TassieDevil - glad you got the job, look forward to seeing you out here early next year, the meet up's are going well so I may have some pals to introduce you too by then! If you come over for a rekkie, let me know. I'm sure you'll find it very different to Tassie.

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi Shazzi

geez some people get over excited with the comments they put , every one is different and what makes you happy is the most important thing not the choobs who make ***hole comments.

glad to see you are being positive and yes you and your OH had the nerve to come out and try the place that is more than millions can achieve.

looking forward to getting up to Brizzy with the family for a RECCE ...and sure we will meet soon

tassiedevil59

Pablo - you have to do it for yourself, your experience may be completley different to mine, as I said many love it and as soon as they land they are completley content. I don't regret coming out here as I know if I hadn't done it I would have really regretted it later in life, at least we had the balls to try it and if it doesn't work out I will go home with no regrets...a fair bit lighter on the bank balance, but no regrets! Hopefully that won't happen anyway.

TassieDevil - glad you got the job, look forward to seeing you out here early next year, the meet up's are going well so I may have some pals to introduce you too by then! If you come over for a rekkie, let me know. I'm sure you'll find it very different to Tassie.

yeah i know shazzi, wasnt having a go at you at all, or 1 post in particular, if thats how people are finding oz then obviously feel free to say it, no probs. was just saying it is a bit depressing thats all. hope it all changes for you anyway.

Hi Shazzi

geez some people get over excited with the comments they put , every one is different and what makes you happy is the most important thing not the choobs who make ***hole comments.

glad to see you are being positive and yes you and your OH had the nerve to come out and try the place that is more than millions can achieve.

looking forward to getting up to Brizzy with the family for a RECCE ...and sure we will meet soon

tassiedevil59

hopefully im not one of the choobs you refer to, if i am then please explain why.

Guest chellynel
So, an update...we've been here just over 8 weeks now and its still a bit of a roller coaster to be honest. Some days I love it, I wake up in the morning to sunny blue skies and enjoy the day...other days, I still think what the hell have I done and I miss lots of stuff from back home. The thing is I am not being as harsh on myself now and giving it time - I know some people love it instantly and know they have made the right decision, I am just not one of those people. I'm finding it a lot harder than I expected to settle in BUT keep reminding myself its still only 8 weeks, not 8 months and I need to just let things happen at their own pace. I promised myself I would give it a year and then review it after that, and I still intend to do that, although I know there will be ups and downs along the way...I suppose I am more prepared for that now.

It didn't help that at the end of my first week at work, my new employer let 25 staff go(out of 100) due to the current economic climate, and they are sponsoring me! But they have assured me my job is safe, or as safe as anyone can make such promises in this climate. They know that if they let me go I would need to return to the UK...unless I could find another sponsor asap, which in this economy may be difficult. I initially had a little panic, but now am not worrying about the "what/if" scenerio, if that happens, it happens, it was meant to be and all that.

Also wasn't great when I transferred all our UK cash from our house sale when the rate was 2.25, great I thought, only to find a week later it was upto 2.60! Doh!! Lost a fair few thousand £'s, and although I was really peed off at the time, I now think what the hell, its only money. I know some people come here with hardly anything at all and still are positive. I'm trying to stay out of the negative head space as it doesn't help you go forward...some days I'm better at it than others, but it's a work in progress as they say!

I've actually learnt a lot about myself over the last few weeks, at home you are in such a familiar pattern and surrounded by friends and family that you just get caught up in the routine, now that has all been stripped away and I am out here on my own (well, with my hubby and wee boy) it has made me think about what I value, what I really like and dislike and what I'm prepared to put up with and not.. if nothing else it's been a good exercise in re-evaluating myself and challenging some of those pre-conceived ideas you have about yourself ie. I previously thought I was good at handling and adapting to change, both personally and professionally... I have found out, I am most definitely not!! OMG I'm sounding like a life coach/hippy now - I obviously have far too much time on my hands to think about "stuff!" I need to get out more...anybody want to be friends with my new Karma self??

Sharon

Moving countries is a huge learning and growing experience and you sound like you appreciate that now !! Not many people are creatures that are comfortable with change ! But you have changed ur whole life "as you knew it" and at 8 weeks in ...to be thinking the way you are you are at 8 weeks in it's normal & you are doing just fine !!

We have been here since June so 5 months and I am only JUST starting to feel like I am settling back into life in Oz after 13 years away ....I am now making an effort to meet people and pulling my head out of the sand as I have been "hiding out" at home moaning that I am not meeting anyone new & that I miss my friends in London !! :sad:

We missed out on the good rate as well with the money ...and as my South African hubby always says "build a bridge, get over it"......ha ha ! :yes:he always calms me down when I start getting upset about anything that I just cant change....

8 weeks is such a short time, don't waste time on the "what if's" .....it might never happen !! ..............enjoy the next few weeks and months as you get to grips with the Aussie Lifestyle.... and just think ...it's bloody COLD in England right now !!

Hi there Shazzi.

You know, you have just made the biggest life-changing move most of us will ever make. Don't beat yourself up for feeling the way you do - its perfectly normal I'm sure. You're thousands of miles away from your friends and family and everything that's familiar in a strange country. Yes everyone speaks the same language, etc., but its still different in lots of other ways.

As others have posted, you need to give yourself time to adjust. It takes time to build up your social network but once you start work, kids start school, after school activities, etc, you will I'm sure, start to make friends. It's natural to keep making comparisons to the uk, but try to keep a balanced view. At the moment it seems like you are looking at all the positives of the uk and all the negatives of Oz. Try to focus on what motivated you to emigrate - what drew you to Australia and what you dislike about the uk. The problem with looking back is that you nearly always do so with rose tinted specs. Try to look forwards and expect that things will get better. If, after a year or so you still think oz is not for you and your family, then at tleast you can say you gaver it your best shot. But if you quit at the first hurdle and come home now, you may regret it. But only you can make that decision. Good luck whatever you decide.

Keep your chin up!!:smile:

Hi, just thought I'd say I know exactly how you are feeling we have been here just over a year now and I felt as though I had hit a brick wall running, all for the same reasons you have outlined. But things are slowly getting better, like many other people I miss my friends, my way of life, m&s, next and most of all I dearly miss my children and grandchildren but now and again I go down the road and drive past Australia Fair and look left and say to myself "this is why I am here" one day my kids will visit and see what I saw when I first arrived and maybe I can prove to them that there is a better life waiting for them here, healthier climate, safer environment, family oriantated until then I take one day at a time and keep looking at my nice tan building up. Its very hard at first but there is a lot of support out there so keep your chin up and don't give up yet.

Kath

Guest Julie Crooks

Hi my names Julie, I am due to move to Brisbane with my husband and two kids on 28th November and i am already dreading all the things you are saying you feel. They do say you should give it 6months to a year, although like me you know nobody there. I have the added problem that my husband will be at work all day and i will be looking after the kids.

How did you find it trying to find a short term lease as i am really struggling - any suggestions?

Where abouts are you based, maybe we could meet up and be two happy poms instead of miserable ones!!!

Guest pasha02

PABLO...... This post was actually started by my wife, it was written in the 1st few weeks of arriving here, She started this post to express her feelings, because the whole procedure from the start, to us actually arriving in Oz has been one problem after another, and no amount of reassurance i could give her was making her feel any better, So for so many people to post kind messages and voice their support it really picked her up.

I can only apologise that you find this " depressing " but if and when you make it out to Oz and you start to have exactly the same feelings of doubt, anguish, regret, there are as many people willing to take the time to post a message of support to you.

And being called a "choob" is a term of endearment in some parts of Scotland.....:err:

Guest tassiedevil59

Good one Pasha02

welcome to Oz and all the different feelings you have , most normal to most of us , especially the female wifes and partners.

maybe meet up in Brizzy , we are moving to North lakes in Feb from Tassie.

terms of endearment .. certainly a new meaning to me ( not in my part of Livingston) Choob Choob haha.

Guest pasha02

:biglaugh: "Choob" still cracks me up, no heard that for years, and your right it was not a term of endearment from where i was brought up in Edinburgh either but just tryin to spread the love so to speak ......:wubclub:.

Yeah we will def have meet up when you get to Brizzie, we should be somewhat settled by then ha ..... if we can help with anything just let us know.

Guest tassiedevil59

how long have you been out hear for , wee (wife and my two girls) arrived into Hobart in Jan , we find it too quiet

Linda (wife) and my girls are used to more activity in shopping , play areas and all entertainment which is somewhat lacking (compared to what we were used to ) so i have a job offer from Brisbane to hopefully take up (confirmation on Thursday next week ) also a lot more Brits to meet up Brizzy way ,

my kids idea of OZ is a house with a pool (afraid you would nearly freeze your (watch what i say here ) but not many houses in Tas have that and besides it ain:t the same weather as Brizzy , also plenty more shops and things to do up Brizzy. Tazzie is good but we prefer a more active lifestyle ( worded politically correctly just in case the wooly brigade think i am slagging the place )

Cheers

Shazzi is also from Edinburgh...

Guest Hello Kitty

Someone said that clothes in Target are too expensive. I just paid $7.99 for a t-shirt for my daughter and it is very good quality. If you are paying prices less than that in the UK than you have to ask yourself where are those clothes made to be able to produce them at that price - chances are it comes from a factory in China or India where the workers are paid a pittance in possible sweat shop conditions.

Some of the stores that have cheap clothing and other general goods are Target, K-mart, Big W, Best & Less. IKEA is great for cheap furniture and Bunnings is pretty cheap for hardware type items. Also go to factory outlet centres.

It takes a while and a bit of driving around and word of mouth to find out where the best buys are. If you have lived in a place for a long time you know where to go but if you are new to a city or country than it can take quite a while to get your bearings and to work out where to go to get the best deals.

Guest pasha02

Tazzie my friend all that clean air down there must be messing with your melon.....:wacko: Shazzi is my wife i said that 2 posts ago " ya choob ":biglaugh:ha ha ha, you'll love it up here though it's like i said at the start when you move this far away you at least want the weather to be great, it always gives you option to plan and do things, and a pool,sunshine and maybe a small beer def sounds better than the 2c and rain of Bonnie Scotland at the moment..

Guest tassiedevil59

Dinnae be cawin me choob ya edinburger....

haha .. some people will be thinking what are they saying ...my melons were messed before i got to Tazzie but they need sun to stimulate them back to normal... PABLO take note ...

thats my thoughts , i lived in South Africa for 11 years and loved the sun , 10 years back home and no sun so my job offer was in Hobart ( which is nice but lacks lots ) Next it will be HERBSTER having a go at me....

Hope fully Shazzi is settling in and my better half has been in touch , i was busy at work and i only read certain bits of the forum .....

anyway sure to meet up with you and your good lady soon.. i will let you know when we get up for a RECCE ( wife shopping , kids theme parks) should be in a couple of weeks....

Cheers

Hi JulieC, would love to meet up when you come out here, I'll pm you and once you are settled we can arrange a time to meet

On another note...

I just want to say that although my post may have been deemed as a "depressing" read, it was from the heart as I was feeling quite low when I first arrived for lots of different reasons. Although my OH (Pasha02) was trying his best to keep me feeling upbeat, it was good just to get messages of support and advice from others who have been through the same thing, which is what this forum is all about. So sorry if this has been a "negative read", just to clarify I am not a miserable person, nor am I sat here crying every night and wishing I was back in the UK... I was just sharing my experience/thoughts and feelings, as besides your OH you have no one else to discuss this stuff with. Thankfully most people have said they have felt the same way at some point in their journey too and for me this is a journey, with ups and downs along the way, and every day/week I'm here I move a little further forward.

Thanks again to all those who have took time out and posted advice/support/offered friendship, I do appreciate it and hope I can do the same at some point down the line.

Sharon

x

Pablo - I think you should stay where you are ! As you won't last long here if you DONT know that you were being rude in ur 1st post !

i dont need your advice thx, you may think i was being rude, i think i was telling the truth, im not repeating what i have already said in my last post, read it. and btw ive worked all over the world so believe me i will be ok

Someone said that clothes in Target are too expensive. I just paid $7.99 for a t-shirt for my daughter and it is very good quality. If you are paying prices less than that in the UK than you have to ask yourself where are those clothes made to be able to produce them at that price - chances are it comes from a factory in China or India where the workers are paid a pittance in possible sweat shop conditions.

Some of the stores that have cheap clothing and other general goods are Target, K-mart, Big W, Best & Less. IKEA is great for cheap furniture and Bunnings is pretty cheap for hardware type items. Also go to factory outlet centres.

It takes a while and a bit of driving around and word of mouth to find out where the best buys are. If you have lived in a place for a long time you know where to go but if you are new to a city or country than it can take quite a while to get your bearings and to work out where to go to get the best deals.

Hello Kitty

Are you saying that Target do not get their clothes made in China or India as shops do in the UK. I don't know the answer but I suspect that they do.

The T shirt you brought for your daughter, were was that made?

John

Hi JulieC, would love to meet up when you come out here, I'll pm you and once you are settled we can arrange a time to meet

On another note...

I just want to say that although my post may have been deemed as a "depressing" read, it was from the heart as I was feeling quite low when I first arrived for lots of different reasons. Although my OH (Pasha02) was trying his best to keep me feeling upbeat, it was good just to get messages of support and advice from others who have been through the same thing, which is what this forum is all about. So sorry if this has been a "negative read", just to clarify I am not a miserable person, nor am I sat here crying every night and wishing I was back in the UK... I was just sharing my experience/thoughts and feelings, as besides your OH you have no one else to discuss this stuff with. Thankfully most people have said they have felt the same way at some point in their journey too and for me this is a journey, with ups and downs along the way, and every day/week I'm here I move a little further forward.

Thanks again to all those who have took time out and posted advice/support/offered friendship, I do appreciate it and hope I can do the same at some point down the line.

Sharon

x

hello sharon ( no need to reply btw,and no need to apologise in your post for being negative either ) i will explain again to "you", couldnt care less what the others think, TASSIE!, im moving over very soon, so when i read ALL the different posts on here from DIFFERENT people( not only yourself ) about the bad times they were having, then yes it is a bit depressing, yes it is negative, THAT IS JUST ME STATING THE OBVIOUS,I WASNT ATTACKING ANY OF THE POSTERS , i also said in one of my posts that people should say exactly how they are feeling because people should know the downsides etc, i also said it was helpfull, but certain people on here have somehow twisted this to make out i was having a go at YOU, when there is countless posters saying the same things as you, so i say 1 last time....i hope things work out for you and best of luck, and to the few of you who have had a go at me and twisted my words.....well you know what you can do,dont yer?enjoy and goodbye

Archived