We've arrived...2nd thoughts?

Shazzi

Guest Scardycat
Jesus....are they ripping us off in Perth then because everthing is very expensive here.

Earlswood. I think you just don't know how or where to shop:wacko: I think you should get your Mum over to put you right:biglaugh:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus....are they ripping us off in Perth then:dull: because everthing is very expensive here.

Eating out "overe East" is definitely cheaper than Perth ! However, I still don't think eating out is cheap-when you earn Aussie dollars-and expecially if a family was going out.

And yes, Aldi is much cheaper-Perth needs Aldi !

Perth does pay a lot more for things unfortunately

I think as someone has previously pointed out, this cost of living thing is obviously relevant to where you lived in the UK and what type of lifestyle you had. We had a great lifestyle and lovely house, we lived in Edinburgh and although buying a house in Edinburgh is very expensive, other things like food shopping, going out for a meal, buying clothes etc are reasonable. Because house prices are expensive over there we ended up moving right out of the city to an area where we could afford a lovely 4 bed, modern, detached house with a decent size garden for our son to play in, rather than a 1/2 bed flat that we would have been able to afford in the city...looks like I will need to do the same over here if I want to buy a similar level property. I know Mrs C has said that a trip to the hairdressers is costly, I regularly had my hair cut/highlighted and blowdried for £55 in the village next to where I lived, where as girls I worked with in the office paid £120 - 140 for exactly the same thing from salons in Edinburgh city centre...I suppose what I am trying to get at is that you pay a premium if you go to the swanky/swish places and you have to shop around to find somewhere you are happy with...both service and price! I'm quickly finding out that its no different over here, its just that I don't know where the best places to shop are yet.

Mrs C is from Kent so I assume everything is expensive down there as opposed to Scotland, so maybe she has been used to paying higher prices than I did in Edinburgh which is why things overall seem cheaper for her , as other people have posted that they think the Gold Coast is expensive too...that being said I haven't checked out the prices of haircuts yet! Maybe I'll be letting my hair grow too.

We'll all have to hope we win the Lotto and then our worries will be over!!

Guest Jade_Hannah_Smith

Heyy, just wanted to say that you have only been there a month! It will probly take a while to settle in, people i know who have moved have said it can take years to settle in, which is a long time but you have to think whether it will benefit you and your family and will be better in the long run. Also look on this website or Expats about meet ups, this could be useful as meeting new people would get you out more, you would enjoy yourself and settle in better than if you was to sit and mope around (feeling sorry for yourself lol). The food and other stuff might be a bit more expensive but you get so much more for your money, and plus you would never get the sunshine, beautiful scenery, blue sea and hugeeeee sandy beaches back in the UK not forgetting the friendly faces :)

Good luck with everything! Hope you enjoy yourself more soon, (you should)

:)

I know Mrs C has said that a trip to the hairdressers is costly, I regularly had my hair cut/highlighted and blowdried for £55 in the village next to where I lived, where as girls I worked with in the office paid £120 - 140 for exactly the same thing from salons in Edinburgh city centre...I suppose what I am trying to get at is that you pay a premium if you go to the swanky/swish places and you have to shop around to find somewhere you are happy with...both service and price! I'm quickly finding out that its no different over here, its just that I don't know where the best places to shop are yet...Mrs C is from Kent so I assume everything is expensive down there as opposed to Scotland, so maybe she has been used to paying higher prices than I did in Edinburgh which is why things overall seem cheaper for her , as other people have posted that they think the Gold Coast is expensive too...that being said I haven't checked out the prices of haircuts yet! Maybe I'll be letting my hair grow too.

We'll all have to hope we win the Lotto and then our worries will be over!!

Not much consolation, Shazzi, but I'm finally getting my hair done - 3 months in as I can't stand it any longer! :swoon: And I've been in similar situation to you, not far from the Scottish border, Xtra rural & only renting, but prices do vary considerably for the same item or service depending when & where you get it & how prepared/used you are to shopping around (some peeps never shop around so only are familiar with their narrow experience of price & value.)

My last stylist was very good, knew I was poor & would include me on the mailings for when the sales came round on cut & color! Even at 1/2 price that usually cost £50-60. Free range eggs from my local farmer cost as little as £1.20/dz, but in Tesco's were 3-4 HIGHER than that! Here I can pay between $2.25 and $6.50/DZ for free range eggs depending on size and where purchased!

So, I've found a good-looking salon in Kingston, have booked an APT for a bit of a trim(!) perm color & foils which could cost up to $170, so although it sounds a lot, and is quite a lot when I'm trying to be really frugal & not go over that $100 mark, it's not much more than I would have paid in Hexham & about the same as I paid in Plymouth before I left.

It is not always easy settling into a new area, let alone a new country... But before you write off OZ entirely, consider Tassie, this place could be right up your street in more ways than one! Oz is a huge & diverse country... imagine when you were living in Scotland, where would you have NEVER wanted to live in UK ? I'm sure you could have a list as long as your arm... well it's no different in OZ! There are probably plenty of places here that none of us for one reason or another would feel happy in, but it doesn't mean that there are not plenty of other paces that would suit each one of us.

Mostly you feel out of sorts because so much is unfamiliar to you, so that just the simple things like shopping, looking after yourself and your family become quite an ordeal - probably just as much as if you had moved to one of those hateful UK destinations! But little by little things will become easier and by talking to locals, reading the paper, keeping your ears & eyes open you'll pick up on areas that sound more like you, and when you guys have the chance, just get in the car and drive, or on the bus - explore as much as possible, for you'll never know what's out there if you don't go looking... Hopefully you'll be happily surprised... Just don't believe that you are stuck where you are... :jiggy:

All the Best in your New Land & Finding your Happy New Home X

Guest VFRHOCKS

From the coments you are all making I think I'll have to get my missus back into hair dressing when we come over.

Tend to agree and great to hear from people who dont live right inside Perth.

Due to the fact of what a lot of folk say, I will be working around the suburbs of Perth but hope to live in a further outside, but hopefully near a bus route.

As time gets close for us we are getting very concerned about the cost of living as not only is it here in the U.K that we are feeling the crunch but I think everywhere is feeling it.

I have checked out a site that was recomended from here, AussieMove and 2 yrs ago it seems that you needed $80,000 to survive, which is more then I will earn by $20,000 or so, not including overtime.

But I also hear of folk who have gone over and survived on a shoe string. So I tend to agree, it depends on where you live and how you live and I think just like everything else, its what you make it.

My biggest concern is getting out there and for the missus to cope, as I am used to moving about and going to differant countrys with the jobs I have done and I easierly make friends, my OH is a lot quieter and not so forward and I worry she may not like it and struggle more. The concerns is when I am at work and daughter is at scholl she will be on her own.

Hoping to move to an area that has lots of friendly neighbours and kids for daughter to play with.

I think if OH could start her own hairdressing from home or mobile at a good price, would be good for her and get her socailising.

Thats me done :twitcy:

Sorry for you all that are missing the UK. I have lived here for over thirty years now and we like it of course and have had a very good life here.

I read the Brit forums and am always surprised how people are so excited about coming here and its like the party or the wedding once it arrives its not as exciting or as enjoyable as you imagine.

My friend has just returned from the UK and she said the staples are cheaper there but she did not think there was much difference in prices of other things. She is an accountant and a very canny shopper so she would know.

It depends where you shop how much you spend. There are lots of cheap places to shop in Melbourne and lots of specials around.

Australia is nothing like the UK and if people think it is they have the wrong idea. Quaint it aint. Its Australia and its brash and dry and some say ugly but I find beauty in the bush. Nothing like villages and countryside in the UK.

Disagree that the weather is like the UK we have had a cold winter this year but usually they are pretty mild, I do not own a coat. When its forty degrees and a howling northerly nothing like UK. Bush fires and smoke and all that stuff that we get in the summer.

As for Brisbane lovely place to visit but not for me to live. My best friend has lived in Brisbane for ten years now and every week she phones me and tells me she is dying to return to Victoria. She has made friends but she is not happy there and she is Australian, she wants to come back to Victoria.

When you do move, do not tie yourselves to an area, if you do not like it and are unhappy move, moving makes a lot of difference, because different people some are friendly some are not, if they are not move.

:smile:

Guest earlswood
Heyy, just wanted to say that you have only been there a month! It will probly take a while to settle in, people i know who have moved have said it can take years to settle in, which is a long time but you have to think whether it will benefit you and your family and will be better in the long run. Also look on this website or Expats about meet ups, this could be useful as meeting new people would get you out more, you would enjoy yourself and settle in better than if you was to sit and mope around (feeling sorry for yourself lol). The food and other stuff might be a bit more expensive but you get so much more for your money, and plus you would never get the sunshine, beautiful scenery, blue sea and hugeeeee sandy beaches back in the UK not forgetting the friendly faces :)

Good luck with everything! Hope you enjoy yourself more soon, (you should)

:)

Yes u do ....Australia could never match the UK for scenery..

nikhil.jpg

darte.jpg

Always Well Said Forgetmenot. I think that's what bothers me most... I never want to put people off following their dreams, I just want them to see where that might lead them... For some, there can be a tendency to get so caught up in the process of applying for the Visa, with the huge emotional Roller coaster of feelings & emotions this entails, followed up by the packing, the selling of the home, the dealing with the relatives, etc., etc., that there isn't enough thought given to the perhaps more prosaic or boring How will we live day-to-day when we are in Oz Questions? It is very much like the couples that spend all their time planning the Ultimate Wedding that when it's all over, after so many, many months of planning, it's a huge anti-climax - they end up sitting and staring at each other & wondering just what have I done?! DIVORCE not too much further down the line and thousands of $£$ in the hole, all because this was their/her/his Perfect DREAM... but they forgot that dreams have to be worked at too.

Of course you have to dream it, think it, imagine it before you actually do it... and the Visa process is probably calculated to be of such a duration as to try to force prospects to really consider their options, giving them the time to research as much as is practicable the multitude of possibilities this huge move affords them. :notworthy:

VFRHOCKS: it is lovely to see that you are concerned for your wife, as you should be, and as she should be for herself and you, too. NOW is the time to sit down and talk all this through - all the scenarios, all the fears, all the doubts, all the HOPES, all your dreams - get things in the open and clear between you all, and address all the nagging doubts, but without fear of recrimination or retaliation - you need to do it before you go when it could be too late. Perhaps she should do as I did, spend her days on the internet trawling for info on areas, councils, tax rates, laws, bla, bla, bla, till I felt without having actually been, I knew a place well enough to know whether it was for us or not - also I'd done it before when I emigrated to the USA...

You can check out the numerous websites for everything from shopping to housing, to Parks and schools, public transport, restaurant menus & prices, etc., etc., in your preferred areas. Use Street View and Google maps & Earth to build up a realistic idea of what an area is like - read the local paper, check out the classifieds & all the pages other than the sports! All these things will help paint a picture of what a town is like, and as Forgetmenot says, Ozzy towns are not like UK ones, so failing a recce, it will be very helpful to learn as much as poss about an area before committing yourself long term, but Pleaseee just don't be blinded by the glare of The Dream... much will be the same - work, having to shop, look after yourselves, although, initially, often made more difficult by being unfamiliar, unusual and maybe just plain not what you were expecting! It will take time to get used to this strangeness before you can start living the Dream and feeling at Home once more...

All the Best - it really does help to have an optimistic heart... :yes:

Yes u do ....Australia could never match the UK for scenery..

darte.jpgnikhil.jpg

Hi Earlswood - Looks Like Dartmouth/Kingswear to me!

Fantastically gorgeous as both shots are, you don't live in Dartmouth, so don't know what a pain it is to get in there to do the simplest things - shop, bank, go to the doctor's - small price you may think to live in such a place of beauty. But there's not much joy in the Beauty when it's chocked with tourists & visitors, to the extent that locals can't go about their lawful and reasonable business! There's never enuf parking so we end taking our business SOMEPLACE ELSE! Also, when many of the homes are owned by part-time double-home-owners, where do the local workers live?? Even the surrounding villages that in the past were hardly described as Typical Devonshire Hamlet's], are now extolled as 'This Highly Sought-After Village...'within close proximity of the stunning river-side town of Dartmouth, steeped in centuries of History...' so consequently house prices have rocketed, locals pushed even further out and away from their family homes, and too far away from towns like Dartmouth where they used to work and do their business (Tassie far enough away?!)

You can't blame peeps for wanting to visit such places, for they are indeed beautiful, but they highlight one of the main problems with UK, particularly England, in that is is a victim of its own success, and the place is just too small for the huge number of people attracted to it. If there was the same people-to-land ratio in England as there is in Oz, plus we proportionately dumped that number of politicians in the North Sea, along with most of the restrictive laws enacted this Millennium then most of us would be more than delighted to stay in the UK, even with it's unpredictable weather, if only for the opportunity to enjoy sights such as these! XxX

Hi Shazzi - sorry to hear you are not settling in but you should give it time.

We moved to OZ 8 years ago for two years initially but ended up staying 8. I hated it for about the first 6 months until I started working and got to know people. After that we have had a ball until the birth of my youngest child who is now three. We started to really miss our family and friends in the U.K and decided to come back so that we could give our boys full time grandparents instead of ones they saw for four weeks every year. We moved back June 2007 and by about January 2008 we realised we had made a huge mistake. It is great that we have family around but the weather is terrible and we seem to spend a lot of time indoors at playcentres/swimming pools/bowling alleys etc and it seems compulsory for every five year old to have a Nintendo DS. Our life in Australia was very outdoorsy and child friendly and we definately lived a healthier life over there.

With regard to the price of things I agree that day to day expenditure is cheaper in the U.K but feel that on a whole Australia is cheaper. Remember all those stealth taxes in the U.K!!! For example our Gas/Electric bill was more expensive for a quarter than it was for the whole year in Australia and its on the way up again. Also, rates and council tax are way more expensive here. I suppose it also depends on what type of life you lead but I seem to get through £20 - £ 30 just by taking the kids out for the day where as in Oz because of the weather you can do heaps of free things.

We are planning our move back at the moment and although it has been a very expensive exercise we are glad we came back to the U.K as we know for sure now that Australia is the best place for us as a family for quality of life.

I can really appreciate where you are coming from with the shops etc (wish there was a Boots/M&S/NEXT etc) but if you really miss the cheapo clothes ask your Mum to send some out for you - mine does and after you've been back in the U.K for a while it doesn't seem so important anymore. You always miss what you can't have!!

Try and make lots of friends - join playgroups, do an evening course - anything to meet people and build up a support network. Try Target/K-Mart/Pumpkin Patch/Myers and eBay for clothes etc. Harvey Norman/Rick Hart for electrical (white goods are pretty expensive though)

Anyway, sorry such a long reply but just wanted to share our story with you cos you shouldn't rush into anything as you need to give it time in any new place to settle. We have a tendency to only remember the good things about places so don't make any rash decisions and waste any more time/money and you will make the right decision for you.

Hope this helps!!!!

Thanks for the note, I do appreciate it, I have met another mum via the PIO forum last week and that has made me feel alot better as she is in the same boat as me. I have also been in to meet my new work colleagues and they are a really friendly bunch...mix of British and Aussies, but they are already talking about arranging BBQ's at each other houses and going out for drinks on Fri night after work ,so at least that makes me feel better too as I know I will have a social life again, eventually. I have a 2 year old boy and I do miss my mum and feel guilty abou taking her grandson, who she adores, so far away but weekly video calls via Skype and telephone calls during the week helps. Although I do think it is more expensive over here, I am not rushing into any decision, we are going to review it after the 1st year and take stock then, so at the moment I'm just learning that I have to shop around more for good deals than I did in the UK and taking each day as it comes....and enjoying the sunny weather!

God Almighty who is this woman her husband must have the patience of a saint, She just goes on and on and on.................

Guaranteed im in for a slap for this 1 .......Im "Shazzi's" OH and would like to thank everyone for their replys it has helped and made my life ever so slightly easier, knowing that there are other people in the same situation as yourself does help.

Just a few pointers that might help with costs. Buying food, go to the markets, there are many around Brisbane on weekends, you will save heaps over Woolworths & Coles. Aldi had a stainless steel BBQ for around $60 this week even with a side wok burner. Shop around for whitegoods, an example this week I took a brand new pommie migrant family shopping for whitegoods. Washing machine latest 8kg Electrolux just under $1000, they reduced it at Chandlers to $930. I then rang Retro Vision asked to give me a cash price and only gave them one bite at the cherry,no bartering. They came up at $790, less $200 government rebate, so paying $590 not bad. Ok then said need a fridge and came up for a 420 litre usually $1000 odd for $890 Ok then asked for items like kettle toaster etc greatly reduced! Portable TV for their daughter $139 paid $110. and so it went on. They saved a lot of money for good brands. Cash talks!!

Also join a club of some kind and meet other people who as a rule will go out of there way to help and advise. I think your big problem is you need friends, they are out there just waiting for you.

If you just want someone to talk to talk to my wife, we have been here many years, she found it hard at first like you are finding, just PM us and she will give you our number for a chat, Don,t ever feel you are alone in a strange place

Regards Kernow

Guest Nikki&Paul

Hi Shazzi,

We've been here for 4 months now and just about worked out where to go to do the food shopping etc, the thing you need to remember is you can't get everything from one place like we did at home in the UK (tesco) and I always write a shopping list because otherwise i forget half the stuff as my 11 month old son only gives me so long to shop and things aren't where you expect to find them in the supermarkets. Also Coles and Woolworths are always competing with eachother for things like meat so look in the sales leaflets that come round ALL THE TIME to see where the good offers are. I find that Aldi is good for things like pasta, fresh juice, bread, milk, toilet rolls etc, but not so much for food unless you want the same 7 meals every week. I shop somewhere that has all shops by eachother so can do all in one go. I know I sound really boring but was like you worrying about price of shopping and now I have it down to cheaper then UK.

Also there is always a sale on in Oz, just bide your time and keep looking in the junk mail leaflets, i find them very useful. Harvey Norman good for white goods and have also used ebay alot too.

As far as settling goes, I joined 2 playgroups as soon as got here and have met some really nice people (I'm on the Gold Coast) we meet for walks or coffee with the kids. I have always worked but dont here so that was hard and still is, was going to, but like you can't find suitable daycare, that i would leave him in anyway, so am enjoying the walks and parks and time with my son.

you just neeed to relax a little and it will come, dont expect miricales and if worse comes to worse you can go back, you're not stuck here so just keep an open mind and you'll prob find you enjoy it more.

Nikki x

Hi Nikki,

I'm starting to realise I have to shop around, a bit annoying as I am a lazy sod and like you, my son only gives me a certain amount of time to do stuff before he gets bored and kicks off, but just having to do different bits on different days.

I am settling in a bit better, met a woman via PIO who has 2 small children and is having the same ups and downs like me and we get on well as we are similar ages and have similar views on life, so that has made me feel a lot better. I am also organising a big BBQ meet up this Sunday for newbies in the Brissie area, some have been here a few weeks like us and others have been here a few months, so far I think there are 13 couples/families so I am really looking fwd to it...the poms will be taking over the park. I think I just have to give it time now and know that I will have ups and downs and that is part of the process.

Guest Halinancy

Hi there my name is Hali and I am a new member on here.

Having read your thread, I really feel for you. Are things any better yet, or do you still feel the same? My family and I (two children 13 and 11) are seriously considering moving to australia, but there are two things stopping us at the moment. They are, our family (i.e our parents) and our children's schooling. I am so worried that I will get out there , thinking that everything will just fit in to place and be wonderful, and then feel like you do, empty and wondering if we've done the wrong thing.

Are you planning on coming back to the UK? I've read so many positive things about oz and only a few negative things, but I have to say, the negative things can sometimes be the biggest things and it is such a big move.

Guest VFRHOCKS

Can you stop talking about BBQs and the good weather as I getting jealous. The weather here is rubbish, dont think we get summers in the U.K anymore.

Can you stop talking about BBQs and the good weather as I getting jealous. The weather here is rubbish, dont think we get summers in the U.K anymore.

Dont worry, the scuttlebutt is that it is going to be a bloody long hot summer (34C at Batemans Bay today which is unheard of). In which case expect the long time residents (like myself) to be bitching about the weather and having to live in a house without aircon. Havent had a BBQ in years - they bring the flies and the mozzies and if you are like me you are well patronized by the little buzzers!

I think back to July when we had at least 5 glorious dinners at pubs out in the garden - long balmy summer evenings with bees buzzing in the rose bushes, ah bliss!

Guest its greg

hi my wife is feeling the same and we have been here 4 months now. Every day i come back from work she is talking about home, we have a 6 month rental in Beaudesert which does not help matters as there is nothing to do here,and she is stuck in the house all day while i am at work, so there is nothing for her to do but think. I am going to try and get somewhere closer to the city to see if that helps, if not we will have to head back home,i cant stand to see my wife so sad for much longer,and the big move was all my idea which makes me feel even worse.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Easy for me to say I know as I LOVE it here! But, before you all jump on a plane and head home think about:

1. Why are you going back? If it is for family are you really going to see any more of them then before you left? Will it not peter out after a while? what if the family you go back for move away from you? Then what? Homesickness is ****! It will get you for years! Still does me after nearly 4 years!

2. Look at moving to another area, Brisbane has so much to offer people.

3. Look at what you want from your life here? Why did you move? What were you looking for in your "new life"

4. Look at what you will achieve going back.

If what you achieve going back is bigger than what you will achieve by staying then go for it and good luck.

If what you have here is bigger than what you have in UK......think carefully. Lots of people make the choice to come to Oz, go back and then end up back here!!!

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi Shazzi

I believe my other half has been in touch with you , we are in Hobart and came out from East Calderon January , we are looking to relocate to Brisbane soon , life here is a bit more expensive than back home but this is due to lack of competition . it depends on what life style and income you have coming in depends on your lifestyle though.

One point , when buying a house i believe 10% is the minimum deposit req.

we sold our house and a lot of belongings as well and spent a fair bit on white goods which are slightly dearer here. by the way Tasmania is more expensive than Brissy..

keep in touch anyway

Archived