swapping uk driving license for australian license!

Guest waliam

hiya, i think i remember seeing that you are on a 457 visa, is that right?? if so you don't need to change it! we went and qued for hours to change ours they looked at the passports seen we were on a 457 and said that we don't need to change them, so saved loads of money! you can drive on UK license for 4 years or until you get pr, then you have 3 moths to change it, then take passport and UK license and money!

sheena :wubclub:

Thanks sheena, yes I am on 457. the reason I wanted australian license was because these people keep asking for proof of address. Does it cost a lot to get australian license. What do you use for address ID?

why do you need license for proof of address? we used our rental agreement, and UK license and passports that was more than enough, i think you can get the oz ones for either 2,3 or 5 years then have to get new ones !

sheena :wubclub:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Getting Oz license is easy now in QLD. Take ID , pay your money (cant remember cost) and straight swap over! When I did mine when I first arrived in 2005 I had to do a theory test

Guest sweetpea0701
Getting Oz license is easy now in QLD. Take ID , pay your money (cant remember cost) and straight swap over! When I did mine when I first arrived in 2005 I had to do a theory test

Joanne

Do you also keep your UK Licence or do they take it off you ?

Guest The Sowters

my UK driving license covers me for car, motorbike and LGV class 3, would these be a straight changeover or would i need any re-tests for an Aussie license?

my UK driving license covers me for car, motorbike and LGV class 3, would these be a straight changeover or would i need any re-tests for an Aussie license?

Car and bike are ok not sure about lgv think you might have to take a test but each state have different rules

Mally

Hi, I need to swap my uk license to haev an australian one. Any ideas what documents I require to take with me? I am in gold coast. thanks

We are on a 457 visa went and got australain licence paid I think 75 dollars for a five year one photo doesnt do justice I took lots of stuff for ID they wouldnt accept uk driving licence but accepted my uk credit card Australian rental and phone bill but accepted OH uk licence may be his was newer cleaner (had his points removed) Ive never had any:biglaugh:

What's the score for transferring licences if you're on a spouse visa? I was under he impression that I had to change my UK driving licence to an Australian one within 12 months, and that you have to actually retake a driving test. Is that not the case?

What's the score for transferring licences if you're on a spouse visa? I was under he impression that I had to change my UK driving licence to an Australian one within 12 months, and that you have to actually retake a driving test. Is that not the case?

The visa is irrelevant if you are going to live here permanently - you have to change your licence within 3 months I think and you dont have to take a test, unless maybe an eye test, just fork out your $80 or whatever and relinquish your UK licence. Then if you go home you do the same in reverse. http://www.australianexplorer.com/australian_drivers_licensing.htm

Thanks Quoll. The only reason I mentioned the visa is because someone else on the thread mentioned their's, and I thought there might be a difference in procedure (although there's no reason why there should be.) But 'within 3 months + no new test' is better than '12 months + test' I suppose! :smile:

Hi,

I just changed my licence 2 weeks ago (car and Motorbike), its pretty straightforward no tests, just take as much i.d as possible, passport,credit cards, proof of address etc, then it was $72 for a 5 year licence and thats it, and you don't relinquish your UK licence.

• 3 years later...
Guest PeaSoupPilot

Did mine today.

Showed:

UK Licence

UK Passport

Two Bank Cards - 1 UK, 1 Aus

The bank letter that the Aussie card came with.

My Visa letter of acceptance (for the address)

$120 for 5 years.

Nick

So Quoll says that you DO relinquish your UK licence and pasha02 says you DO NOT relinquish your UK licence.

Which is correct? Or are there circumstances where it could be one or the other? Or different rules in different states?

Guest Guest31881

You do not relinquish your UK licence, You are not actually swapping the licence (although we all say that) here in QLD it was just a case of them taking a copy of the license and giving it back to me, when they gave me my QLD license. Your UK licence is used as proof that you have passed a UK driving test and so you are eligible to hold an Australian Licence

Guest PeaSoupPilot

mxh, sorry should have said. They took a photocopy of the plastic bit of my UK licence and gave it me back. I never even showed the paper section.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they (in NSW) accept the old paper UK licence (without photo), or would I need to get a photo one from the UK before leaving?

Ta

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi everyone

Great info here, and I have one further question to add to the mix :)

If my UK photocard licence has expired (back in 2009) will that still be acceptable proof when requesting an Australian licence?

I think I still have the paper version that came with the card, but I'm not sure if that has an expiry date or not.

Cheers!

Hi everyone

Great info here, and I have one further question to add to the mix :)

If my UK photocard licence has expired (back in 2009) will that still be acceptable proof when requesting an Australian licence?

I doubt it to be honest. Get a new one in the UK. How did you let it go for so long, do you not drive?

I think I still have the paper version that came with the card, but I'm not sure if that has an expiry date or not.

You only have one licence, the paper "version" is just the counterpart on which they can record endorsements etc. It's not a duplicate or alternative licence

Archived