7 Days in and desperate to go home already!!!!

Guest the_zings

Guest the_zings

Well, we arrived in Australia a week ago and I am shell shocked to say the least. We see to have ended up in the middle of nowhere! OH's job has brought us to Singleton in the Hunter Valley. Please someone tell me there are nicer places to live.....???

Have we been naive in our expectations....? We were originally thinking of looking at properties in Shoalhaven after we move from here but not sure if I really want to stay in Asutralia at all now. Maybe I'm just homesick and still jet lagged but I've barely stopped crying since we arrived. If I had known what to expect in Singleton, I wouldn't have left the UK!

Can somene tell me what shoalhaven/Nowra area is like? Are most affordable places to live mostly deserted and lifeless like Singleton??

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone but I have never felt so miserable.

Hi,

Sorry to hear your first few days in oz have not been what you expected & no you will have not offended anyone you are entitled to your own opinion.

Please keep ya chin up & try to smile, things will get better as time goes on & maybe a move to another area as soon as you could would be better for you.

It really can be very heartbreaking when you first arrive in oz & reality of it all can really smack you very hard like a oncoming truck when you least expect it.

It is a big roll a coaster & emotional time settling here in oz espec in the first few weeks/months, give yoursef time to settle & find your happiness

All the best

stuju

(my hubby does say thou that Nowra & Shoalhaven are a bit remote) but guess it depends what sort of area you have lived in before

I can understand what you mean, Singleton is in the back of beyond, but there are some lovely places in the Hunter, have you looked at moving nearer the coast and Hubbie can commute???

Nowra is on the coast, but it too is a smallish town.

You haven't exactly been treated to good weather either since you arrived, blinking cold and rainy, it would depress anyone.

Things are going to improve weatherwise in the next couple of weeks, they nights are getting lighter each day.

Go on an exploration of your area and see what you can find, head towards the sea and you will find some nicer areas to live I am sure.

Take care and I hope things improve greatly for you.:wubclub:

Guest sweetpea0701
Well, we arrived in Australia a week ago and I am shell shocked to say the least. We see to have ended up in the middle of nowhere! OH's job has brought us to Singleton in the Hunter Valley. Please someone tell me there are nicer places to live.....???

Have we been naive in our expectations....? We were originally thinking of looking at properties in Shoalhaven after we move from here but not sure if I really want to stay in Asutralia at all now. Maybe I'm just homesick and still jet lagged but I've barely stopped crying since we arrived. If I had known what to expect in Singleton, I wouldn't have left the UK!

Can somene tell me what shoalhaven/Nowra area is like? Are most affordable places to live mostly deserted and lifeless like Singleton??

Hi There...

OK, First of all....what you are going through is normal and is called shock.

Lets take a step back... whereabouts are you in Oz ?

Then we can see what people suggest.

You have friends on PIO...

Another thought..........Come down to the Central Coast you will find it all completely different and it should only take about one hour or less for your Husband to travel on the Freeway, it's a bigger area, we have the beaches, great shopping centres, schools etc.,

Give me or Julie (stuju) a shout and we will help you with areas around where we live, it's not the end of the world literally!

Yep please do shout Jayne or i (stuju) we are more than happy to help you or show you around or whatever we can to help.

Actually jayne i have a few lots of peeps to meet coming out from the uk soon for recckies to meet up with us, do you wanna job as a tour guide ??? LOL LOL

(but its great to help folk, makes me feel as i done something worth while)

Yep please do shout Jayne or i (stuju) we are more than happy to help you or show you around or whatever we can to help.

Actually jayne i have a few lots of peeps to meet coming out from the uk soon for recckies to meet up with us, do you wanna job as a tour guide ??? LOL LOL

(but its great to help folk, makes me feel as i done something worth while)

Hey Julie

I can point them in the right direction but don't ask me to drive them anywhere, I have my limits and they are Wyoming to Gosford and back!!! lol and don't let me park anywhere if theres a wall or I have to call the Tow Truck out!!:biglaugh:

Jayne,

Sorry mate i don't know any decent towies !!!!! :biglaugh:

stu knows the coast & Syd like the back of his hand & will be more than happy to chaffuer as long as theres no steep driveways !!!!

(sorry the zings sort of stole the thread)

seriously give us a yell we would be more than happy to help/show you around etc

stuju

Guest Count Zero

You will still be jet lagged. Can you move somewhere else, don't hang around miserable if you think the place is a dump, there are plenty of nice places.

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

Moving in to a new country is the hardest, most traumatic thing you can do, (forget moving home or divorce). Everything that goes wrong makes you wish you were back home. Every bill you didn't expect makes you think things are more expensive. Every dissappointment hits you twice a hard. It's is really a hard thing to do but if you can live out the first few weeks/months things look rosier. We had a really hard 6 months upon moving out. Nothing went our way but eventually, through pure bloody mindedness we got our way and now we are reaping the rewards. Beautiful country, beautiful weather and the locals aren't too bad either.

It's worth the struggle but I couldn't condemn anyone for throwing in the towel early.

It's not easy.

cbr...

Guest Count Zero
Hi

Moving in to a new country is the hardest, most traumatic thing you can do, (forget moving home or divorce). Everything that goes wrong makes you wish you were back home. Every bill you didn't expect makes you think things are more expensive. Every dissappointment hits you twice a hard. It's is really a hard thing to do but if you can live out the first few weeks/months things look rosier. We had a really hard 6 months upon moving out. Nothing went our way but eventually, through pure bloody mindedness we got our way and now we are reaping the rewards. Beautiful country, beautiful weather and the locals aren't too bad either.

It's worth the struggle but I couldn't condemn anyone for throwing in the towel early.

It's not easy.

cbr...

Good post!

Yes we felt the same when we arrived.

It does get better,I don't think your jet lagged that only lasts a few days.

My immediate immpression of Oz is still the same today,bland, lifeless and boring.

We stuck it out for two years and were going home next week.

Your an adult of course and it's up to you what you want to do,but i'm just letting you know that your not alone in feeling this way,many folk have come over here and have been disillusioned,but give it a while longer and see how you feel.

Remember,theres absolutely no shame in going home.

Hope you feel better soon.

Guest Count Zero
Yes we felt the same when we arrived.

It does get better,I don't think your jet lagged that only lasts a few days.

My immediate immpression of Oz is still the same today,bland, lifeless and boring.

We stuck it out for two years and were going home next week.

Your an adult of course and it's up to you what you want to do,but i'm just letting you know that your not alone in feeling this way,many folk have come over here and have been disillusioned,but give it a while longer and see how you feel.

Remember,theres absolutely no shame in going home.

Hope you feel better soon.

My jet lag lasted two weeks! getting old I suppose.

I think you can only comment about your own experience and area in OZ you have lived. We didn't find it lifeless and boring in Cairns but we still returned home because of homesickness and family issues. We are going to give it another go in Cairns or Brisbane.

There's no shame at all in returning but remember why you left! its all still there waiting for you and it will feel like you were never away!

My jet lag lasted two weeks! getting old I suppose.

I think you can only comment about your own experience and area in OZ you have lived. We didn't find it lifeless and boring in Cairns but we still returned home because of homesickness and family issues. We are going to give it another go in Cairns or Brisbane.

There's no shame at all in returning but remember why you left! its all still there waiting for you and it will feel like you were never away!

Good post I agree!:yes:

Guest Impatient

Of course, we don't know your circumstances, but I liked something I read on another thread. Oz is bloody big, as big as Europe and varied. If your visa lets you and there are opportunities elsewhere, try somewhere else. I reckon just give Oz a fair crack before giving up your dream based on a short experience of one small town. Set yourself a time limit before which you will not return, but give yourself the absolute freedom to return after that point if you so choose. No guilt, no judgement from others - make your decision, but don't base it on such a short time.

Good luck and take care

Oh dear, have some (((hugs))).

In answer to your question, yes, actually much of Australia is boring and lifeless however there may be a place which floats your boat because it is such a huge place and quite varied. Are you stuck in Singleton? Is that where the job is? or are you able to move about and find something which does fit the bill for you?

If you can look upon this as a bit of a holiday and an adventure rather than "the rest of your life" then you may find it gets a bit easier. How about starting a blog and writing it all down and then making trips away so you can get a better feel for what the place has to offer?

At the end of the day your gut feeling may be quite right, this may not be for you and, in that case, go home. Dont allow yourself to be stuck here (like some of us are) in a place that you know you dont belong. However, for the time being, be hopeful that you will find somewhere that you want to be.

Good luck!

Guest the_zings

Thanks everyone - some really good positive replies. Things actually don't look so bad today as I've been to a couple of playgroups with the kids and met some really nice people. Even people who live here in Singleton think it's pretty dull!

On your advice, we've had a look on line at the Central Coast and think we are gonna head off down there this weekend for a break with the kids. Been looking at property prices down tehre and it looks pretty good for us!

Any advice on the nicest places to go, best places to look at living in etc, would be great. If we moved to that area then OH could commute to his job in Singleton (only for 2yrs) then find work in Sydney. Things definately looking up and I'm much more up beat about things toady - thanks folks and keep the good advice coming.

Thanks everyone - some really good positive replies. Things actually don't look so bad today as I've been to a couple of playgroups with the kids and met some really nice people. Even people who live here in Singleton think it's pretty dull!

On your advice, we've had a look on line at the Central Coast and think we are gonna head off down there this weekend for a break with the kids. Been looking at property prices down tehre and it looks pretty good for us!

Any advice on the nicest places to go, best places to look at living in etc, would be great. If we moved to that area then OH could commute to his job in Singleton (only for 2yrs) then find work in Sydney. Things definately looking up and I'm much more up beat about things toady - thanks folks and keep the good advice coming.

Hi there,

It all depends on what you prefer Beach/Town, try and buy a CBD (like an A-Z) of the central coast and it will help you plan on where to visit, if you are staying for the weekend Terrigal is a nice place to stop with some nice Hotels/Motels.

Good idea to have a look around, I think you will like it anyway..........I do!!!:yes:

I know you are feeling better (which is fab by the way) but just to make you aware that you are not alone, when my bro emigrated last year they hated their first week in Melbourne. Loved the people but just didn't get on with the place. His wife cried all the time and even he said he felt like just a prat for moving his family the other side of the world! But they got on another plane a week later and flew to Brisbane with the intention that if they didn't like it there they would go to Perth. BUt luckily Queensland offered and still does offer them everything they want and need.

A week is nothing. Give it time.

Good luck,

Kate

Guest The Fletchers

Please give yourself time to settle, after all one week is a very short period of time. We know what you are going through though, we made the move last November to Brisbane, were there for only four days when I found out my Mum was terminally ill. The family was under such intense pressure that we made the decision to turn everything around and come home - furniture in transit, cats in quarantine, no home to return to, etc, etc. We made the wrong decision. We arrived back in the UK at the beginning of December and we had nothing, just four suitcases full of summer clothes. We didn't even have coats or proper shoes. Unfortunately, we lost my Mum after only 10 days and it was only then we realised we had made the wrong decision.

We have gone through many emotions since then and have had lots of things to overcome but since being back in the UK we still feel the same about this country and realise why we wanted to emigrate in the first place. We have decided to give it another go next year when my son finishes his A Levels and hopefully things will turn out better for us then.

What I am trying to say is, please think things through properly before making a decision to return back to the UK, you are obviously very emotional just now but I'm sure you will come through it and may decide another part of Australia is better for you.

Best wishes

Linda

Guest the_zings

Thanks fir the solid advice. I have to that one of the major hangups I have is the lack of central heating! It's freezing at night and with 2 small kids very hard to cope wth!

Maybe we hould look at somewhere that's warm all year - ha ha! Anyone got any experience with The Entrance and Gosford area. The problem is we have to be somewhere OH can work. Anyone I've spoken to seems to think Brisbane is the place to be - need to look into work ops for OH up there.

I really appreciate all your advice and help.

Archived