7 Days in and desperate to go home already!!!!

Guest the_zings

Guest famholland

Hi

Just to say we are moving end of October to Oz and feel your pain. We have moved abroad before and the homesickness can be crippling. I suggest a day at a time. A lot has to do with setting something to find out each day. Setting small goals and achieving is great for settling you and your family. Do you drive? Do you hae youg children. It is easy to feel isolated and remote from all you are used to. Remember though that Oz is friendly and full of people like yourself. The move hasnt gone well and you havent yet found your area. Get in the car and drive and find your area. Plan ahead and have something to look forward to. Are you in rented and how long for?

Good luck

Donna HOLLAND

Singleton and Nowra are opposite coasts of Sydney, both remote (ish) but different aspects. Is your hubby in an aviation role?

If, knowing Nowra a bit and Newcastle area a bit, I had a choice then I would stay where you are generally but like other posters considering moving closer to the coast to a more and to a probably livelier town. Talk to hubby and find out what his commute limits are, make them reasonable so he has decent family time and not always travelling, and then draw a circle from his place a work. Use that to draw up a shortlist and then use your weekends to explore, even just doing that may help you like the area better and you may end up staying where you are.

Hope it helps!

Guest paulwbafc

you must of not done a reckie. oz is a massive country and each state is different. you need to decide what you really want, why you left the uk. some people move to oz don't like it try another state and love it. we very nearly went to melbourne but was put off by a relative whom had been all over oz and told us brisbane. we visited twice loved it. theres so much up here, plenty off jobs and affordable homes. gold coast and sunshine coast all close by its like paradise here. what ever you want its here, theres even britain on the bayside supermarket that sells uk goods albeit double the price but at least you can get bisto and yorkshire puds. also theres maybe only balti restaurant in whole of oz too. run by a guy from wolverhampton and has photos of bham on his restaurant wall. so to me its home from home here. and i bloody love it. never going back to the uk.

see small town quiet is what we are heading out there for. hate living on everyones doorstep. i guess its horses for corses. deffo dont give up on it yet tho, you might find an underground nightlife or it may pick up in the holidays or when people get used to you and start talking and making frineds.

either that or OZ is a biiiig place, there must be somewhere that isnt like the set of a country practace?

• 1 month later...
Guest rossifan

What type of work is OH doing in singleton?, coz if he's into mining / engineering thing there is a great gold mine in Orange. Very pretty city with 38,000 population and all metropolitan facilities. Yes it is over the blue mountains -which not many new migrants seem to cross but it really is a great place for families. Nowra/Shoalhaven are great places but not too much industry apart from tourism. Try to get over Singleton and think ahead instead of the things and places you left behind, it really is the best way to deal with it. We have been here 16years and have never looked back or been homesick.:wacko:

Archived