If you need info on schools in Brisbane, this is probably the thread for you!

Guest Scotty Dog

Oh boy, are you going to get fed up with all these individual questions about "what year?" I think it might be worth you making up a list of Dob from ** to ** would be in year ** etc!!

Anyway, dear son, born 5 June 1997, just moved up to year 7 here.......so what year would he go into in Oz.

And is it correct that they don't move up to secondary (?High?) school until year 8?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lindag70
Hi guys,

I'm a teacher out here in BrisVegas. I've been here since 2003 and am now in a GPS schools (private sector). More than happy to help out my fellow countrymen.

Any questions, fire away!

Hi Scotty Dog! Moved from outskirts of Edinburgh to Tas at beg of the year!! Very bored down here, and move to Brisbane is now in the process. 2 kids grade 1 & 3. Looking at areas like North Lakes, Redhill & Ferny Grove. Info on areas & schools would be a great help. :cute:

Guest lj walker

Hope its ok to jump on this thread.

Would like to know what year groups my two boys would be in please.

James 13 now in yr 8 (03.09.95) Harvey 5 now in yr 1 (26.12.02).

We are hoping to move to Brisbane end of next yr subject to house sale.( viewing on sat...)

Lisa x

Guest The Fletchers

Don't know if you can help with this one, my son will finish his A Levels next year and is interested in doing a criminology degree when we arrive in Oz next summer. He is interested in going to Griffith Uni (Brisbane) and has sent a number of emails to them asking basic questions about enrolement, A Level conversion points etc but hasn't had any replies back. Any idea who else he can get in touch with to get the answers he needs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Linda

Guest neilalys

hi all , can anyone recommend private school within say 1/2 hr of caboolture , as wife will soon be student and we have 3 school aged girls so trying to keep the costs down we are going to be living about 1/2 hr inland from caboolture , thanx neil

howdo

thanks for offer of help.

we've submitted visa application and we're off to gold coast as soon as able :jiggy:

ma son will be 19 and lookin to go to uni to do owt with sports. how r the uni's in gold coast? n will his nat dip in sports n science studies stand him in good stead? cheers

debzy n carl

Guest Scotty Dog

Wow! Been offline for a couple of weeks (school holidays), but I'll try and respond quickly:

Mrs H......sonds like you have it spot on with the years your kids will go into, but I am not really an expert on the schools you mentioned. Sorry!

Lois......workload is slightly better here, though better off going independent if you don't want curriculum changing on you every 2 minutes. Pay is slightly better, when balanced against cost of living. Look in Western suburbs of Brisbane (Sinammon Park outwards) if you want to live in a good area which is still reasonably affordable (in my opinion).

Buddysmum......I reckon Year 8 in 2009 for your boy (cut-off date is July 1st, so he would be a "young-un" in his year group). Middle School covers Years 7-9 in most schools I know of, so the idea of High School starting Year 8 is not so relevant.

Linda.......not so familiar with North Lakes area, but have heard that private schools there are developing well. Try looking in North Lakes itself for private schooling, i'd say.

LJ.........my calculation is Year 9 and Year 2 in 2009, based on July 1st cut-off date.

Fletchers......not sure of how to go with this one. Possibly talk to the QSA (Queensland Studies Authority) re conversion points? They should be able to point you in the right direction. Enrolment info is going to be a case of dealing with Griffith Uni direct, I'm afraid!

Neilalys......not too familiar with Caboolture area. Sorry!

Debzy...... Bond University may be the only real option on the Coast itself (fee-paying uni though). University of Queensland is best bet, though it would involve some commuting to and from a Brisbane campus. Hope this helps! Contact Queensland Studies Authority direct to see if Nat. Dip would help smooth your son's entry.

Over and out!

Scotty

Hi hope you dont mind me asking some questions about my boys, just submitted visa today so as soon as it comes we will be on our way. Not sure on areas but anywhere with a really good school. I have a 6 year old who is currently in year 1 and then my other son is due to start next year but not sure what age they start in oz his DOB is 26/01/2005...Any help really appreciated...Thank you...

I'll second supermidwife, we have a 17year old doing A levels, she will be going into 2nd year of course by the time we get there (hopefully) next July. What school would be best, do they have 6th forms or is it colleges. Do we have to pay for education, etc etc

Also getting off the education for a second. Can you give me any info on good area's to live, preferably in the suberbs but close enough to Brisbane so I can get to work easily, hoping to get a job at the Mater Hospital.

many thanks

Lynne

Guest susie one

Hi there, in our family is kelly 20 staying in uk at uni, leanne 18 doesnt know wat she wants to do at mo , chrlotte 16 leaves school in may 09, ryan 14 in jan lee evens fan, beth 8, we are moving sept 09 , gold coast pacific pines area my daughter who is staying here in uk is doing a bach honors deegre in sports , she is life guard and teaches kids to swim at her local sports centre, im wanting her to come over when she finished, but has boyfriend and bought there own house, hope that when they visit us they will want to live there as well, all the best of luck, sue , ian, and clan

Guest susie one

Hey, we have leanne 18, charlotte 16, leaving school in may 09, ryan 14 in jan, and beth 8, going to gold coast, pacif pines just looking for nearest schools and college found primary and high just need to find college , thanks sue ian and clan

• 3 weeks later...

This thread seems to keep trailing off track a bit - OOps!!

It seems to me that the recommendation is for private rather than state schools? Which is worrying, coz I didn't really want to have to pay for their education - are state schools really not so good? How do I find out which are good schools, coz I can't find anywhere where league/performance/results tables are produced (like we have in UK) to compare all the many schools available. Where we ultimately live depends mainly on finding a good school for the kids, so this is my main stumbling block at the moment - HELP!

Kath

Guest Geordie99
Hi guys,

I'm a teacher out here in BrisVegas. I've been here since 2003 and am now in a GPS schools (private sector). More than happy to help out my fellow countrymen.

Hi Scotty Dog, my wife and me have wanted to move to Brisbane for a couple of years and spent this summer there. We had a great time. We want to apply to move but we need to apply on my wife’s job as an English teacher. She did the GTP(Graduate teacher programme) route instead of the PGCE route. But Oz does not recognise the GTP route. Do you know anyone who had this problem? It’s a long shot I know but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers G

Hi

Does anyone know what North Lakes state and private schools are like?? I like the look of both however it looks like the state is to overscribed. I am only going by what i have found online but I am not too good at searching.

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paul1966

Hi we are heading for Brisbane 09 i have 3 boys aged 14 born 94 13 born 95 and one 9 born 99 and we have been looking at Albany high north brisbane have you heard of it please and is it a good school. Thanks Paul.

Guest susie one

hi, we have 5 aswell, ryan 13, charlotte 16, leanne 18, charlotte is doing gcse aswell, we have been told that the gcse results are not recognised in oz and that they have to take them again in oz, we had been told this at 1 of the oz meet ups today, our charlotte was very disapointed , ill have to do more research into this , all the best, sue heading brisbane 09

Hi we are emigrating july 09 we have 2 daughters 18 and 16.One would have finished 2 years at college and the other would have finished school.Does any of their qualifications mean anything out in oz?.Also if they are looking at unis and colleges in oz what info will they require to enrol,thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Hi and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you,got a dilemna.We have 2 daughters 16 and 18 the eldest has completed her schooling with GCSE results and also done 2 years at college doing A levels.The youngest would've completed her schooling also with GCSE results.Do there achievments here count for anything in OZ? what would you recommend they do.The eldest wants to enrol at a uni and the youngest at college when we come over to Brisbane in Aug 09.Any feedback would be great Thanks.:skeptical:

Guest tlander56
Hi guys,

Hi Scotty Dog,

We're looking at putting our son in to BGS at yr 6.....my hubby works with a few BGS boys and says that that place turns out robots...would you recommend the school? The other option is BBC...

Thanks,

Tanya

Guest bambimod

Hi,

I really hope you can help. My partner and I are moving to Brisbane (well applying for citizenship), from Scotland. Iam a fully qualified Primary teacher and have been teaching for three years, two in Special Needs. I currently earn around 25k sterling Annually, which works out around 1,500 P.M here and was wondering how much a Primary teacher earns in Brisbane as im geting various answers. Ive also been looking for flats to rent but finding them quite pricey, more than i thought anyway. Here i have a flat which is owned and i payt around 500 P month.

Oh and how easy is it to get a job in Brisbane?

Please help as this was a dream to move but now im thinking is it worth it????

Guest leanneg

Hi

How is the job market in Brisbane? I am a secondary Science Teacher and we are considering moving there? I know the salary is lower than the UK but is it really bad? Also what about the class sizes (32 is the norm in my school and that includes G&T classes)

Thanks in advance:smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi Scotty Dog

Have just found this thread but all the questions seem to be for slightly older kids (unless I've missed something) so hopefully this is a bit different. Hoping to move to Sunshine Coast July time (visa permitting). George (13/2/04) just started Reception here so would like him to finish year if poss. I assume that he will start Year 1 in January and that Ciara (31/12/04) will start in Prep Year.

Can you tell me the sorts of things they do in the Prep Year as I gather it isn't compulsory. I assume they are not going to teach reading/basic maths etc as they do here in Reception if not all children starting Year 1 will have done it. This is part of reason I want George to finish reception here as although I am desparate to escape UK his reading has just started to click and I want him to carry on

Hope you can help

Sarah

Archived