If you need info on schools in Brisbane, this is probably the thread for you!

Guest Scotty Dog

Guest Scotty Dog

Hi guys,

I'm a teacher out here in BrisVegas. I've been here since 2003 and am now in a GPS schools (private sector). More than happy to help out my fellow countrymen.

Any questions, fire away!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

way to go clarie!! hope it happens soon for ya!

ps, as a mother i might be able to help with the schools from a parents point of view!! lol

sheena :wubclub:

Ok here goes the million dollar question scotty.

Son born November 93 (will be 15) what year will he go into in january

Son born July 95 (will be 13) what year will he go into.

sorry I know this question gets asked loads but it is the one thing that confuses the hell out of me :wacko:

Ok here goes the million dollar question scotty.

Son born November 93 (will be 15) what year will he go into in january

Son born July 95 (will be 13) what year will he go into.

sorry I know this question gets asked loads but it is the one thing that confuses the hell out of me :wacko:

year 10 and 8 i think is right, but does go on the work they bring with them etc, my son is 15, which is year 10, but as his work from uk is very good they wanted to put him in year 11, but he said no, wanted to stay with kids his own age, but since found out, that some of his mates in his classes etc, are 16!! so bring all school reports with you!!

lol i will be pestering you also then........he he he !

nothing new there then!! lol :biglaugh:

only kidding, you can ask anything you like, will try to help in anyway i can you know that!!

year 10 and 8 i think is right, but does go on the work they bring with them etc, my son is 15, which is year 10, but as his work from uk is very good they wanted to put him in year 11, but he said no, wanted to stay with kids his own age, but since found out, that some of his mates in his classes etc, are 16!! so bring all school reports with you!!

sheena

Ok thanks sheena, its really what I was hoping would be said 15 year old has been picked up by one of these excellence in schools programmes and is on a programme with warwick University :dull:

But we thought about keeping him with kids the same age at least if the work he is covering is repeated he can feel a bit more confident and settle in easier.

I'm not a mother who concerns herself to much with exam results i'm afraid, is that bad.

I've told the lads that they will probably end up with a lot of kids that are different ages so i think year 10 is going to be fine for him and 8 is definitely ok for my 13 year old.

:wubclub:

Guest Supermidwife
Hi guys,

I'm a teacher out here in BrisVegas. I've been here since 2003 and am now in a GPS schools (private sector). More than happy to help out my fellow countrymen.

Any questions, fire away!

Hi we are a family with 5 children coming as soon as our house is sold. 2 are under school age, one is 13, one 16 and one 18 in October. Can you tell me how my daughter would fit into the year group as she has just taken GCSE with very good results and has just started A levels. My son is yr 13 and doing A levels but I think will probably not have completed, so where would he fit in as he wants to go to Uni. Also do you know of any good uni's as he wants to do Creative writing/Journalism/Script writing. Thanks

Guest The Birmingham Villains

hi im Kevs Daughter Niamh

I was 12 in july

I am wondering what year would i be in?

we are moving 2 the Gold Coast---2nd October

From Niamh

Hi all

(Hope you and boys are well Sheena)

Would you recommend the private schools or are the State schools ok (in general)???

Debby

Guest Scotty Dog

Well, speaking from experience, I would say that private schools are the go here (most are affordable, in comparison to the UK). Obviously, there are very good state schools too (but I have been told there are some horrors out here too). In that respect, no different to the UK. Your GPS schools (top tier) will cost you about 12K per year, but some of the other associations (Catholic AIC schools and TAS schools) are just as good and cost far less. I say this as someone teaching in a GPS school!

As for the Year Groups, your year is determined by the cut-off date of July 1st (as of last year). Currently, most school leavers are 17 when they start Year 12 (last year of schooling here). In 12 years time, the Prep year group will be 18 when they start, but for now that's the way things are.

Niamh, if you are 12 now, I'm guessing you will be in Year 7 now (but Year 8 in January).

Supermidwife, you may be in the position where your daughter and son both end up in Year 12 together.......private schools would have an individual approach to this however, as some Year 12 boys at our school (Brisbane Boys' College) do extension lectures at the University of Queensland. Incidentally, UQ would also be the best bet for your son doing a journalism course, I'd say.

Hope this helps,

Scotty

PS: Sheena, I hope you know I was being ironic! :cute:

Scotty...do you have any experience of the international baccalaureate.

is it a good option the school we have picked for our sons we think is changing to this its a state school, have you an opinion on it

thanks

Guest Scotty Dog

No personal experience of it, but several of my colleagues have. They all have nothing but good things to say about IB, so you should be encouraged I'd say. The kids are held to a higher standard, by all accounts, and it is an internationally respected qualification.

Hi all

(Hope you and boys are well Sheena)

Would you recommend the private schools or are the State schools ok (in general)???

Debby

hiya, have sent you a message!

Guest meganhannah

hey there, wonder if you can help me. In a dilema eldest son just completed GCSE's and reurned to school to commence A levels. We hope to be coming to Brisbane March next year, 16 year old (will be 17 in the April) says he does not want to return to school and have to wear school uniform again, will he only have to do year 12 and can this be done at TAFE.

Thanks

JO

Guest Scotty Dog

Hi Jo,

Yes, he should be able to do year 12 at the local TAFE. Best to check out courses when you know which suburb you are going to end up in.

Scotty

Guest Supermidwife
Well, speaking from experience, I would say that private schools are the go here (most are affordable, in comparison to the UK). Obviously, there are very good state schools too (but I have been told there are some horrors out here too). In that respect, no different to the UK. Your GPS schools (top tier) will cost you about 12K per year, but some of the other associations (Catholic AIC schools and TAS schools) are just as good and cost far less. I say this as someone teaching in a GPS school!

As for the Year Groups, your year is determined by the cut-off date of July 1st (as of last year). Currently, most school leavers are 17 when they start Year 12 (last year of schooling here). In 12 years time, the Prep year group will be 18 when they start, but for now that's the way things are.

Niamh, if you are 12 now, I'm guessing you will be in Year 7 now (but Year 8 in January).

Supermidwife, you may be in the position where your daughter and son both end up in Year 12 together.......private schools would have an individual approach to this however, as some Year 12 boys at our school (Brisbane Boys' College) do extension lectures at the University of Queensland. Incidentally, UQ would also be the best bet for your son doing a journalism course, I'd say.

Hope this helps,

Scotty

PS: Sheena, I hope you know I was being ironic! :cute:

Hi Scotty,

thanks for the info. I noticed that the Sunshine Coast Uni do a short 4 month course to get an ?op score if you have a shortfall eg. not completed A levels, do you know whether this is the same for the other uni's. We are going to validate visas in October so hoping to have a bit of a reccie re schools/uni's etc.Thanks

Hi, im new to this, so hello everyone! We are moving to Brisbane in 4 weeks, and have been researching schools. We will be living in the Logan/ northern gold goast area, and schools which I an interested in so far are, Ormeau state school, Mount Warren Park, Windaroo high and Springwood high. There are some others, but can anyone advise on these and others in the area. I have 2 boys aged 10 and 9, so I THINK THEY WILL GO INTO YEARS 6 AND 5 IN JAN!

We will be house hunting when we arrive so will base where we live around good schools. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest loism.bamber@virgin.net

Hi Scotty Dog

I am a primary teacher with 14 years experience, I currently teach in England but trained in Edinburgh and taught for a couple of years there. Myself husband and three children are thinking of moving to Brisbane. How easy did you find it to register in Queensland? How does teaching compare to the uk both workload, curiculum etc? How does the salary compare when I worked full time I earned approx £33K and part time ( two days a week) £13K. Any information would be appreciated. I currently work in a village state school, but would be happy to consider the independent sector.

Also I have twins aged 7 and a little one of 2, we would be looking to locate to an area with good schools, so if you could suggest any great suburbs.

Many Thanks.

Archived