Moving to Perth! - Schools

WilkoPerth

Hi All!

I'm planning on moving to Perth with my wife & two kids (7 & 4) in November this year on a 482 visa.

How early should i be researching schools before the February start?

& what schooling would my 4 year old be eligible for?

Thanks in Advance!

2 minutes ago, WilkoPerth said:

Hi All!

I'm planning on moving to Perth with my wife & two kids (7 & 4) in November this year on a 482 visa.

How early should i be researching schools before the February start?

& what schooling would my 4 year old be eligible for?

Thanks in Advance!

What month do they turn 5?

13 hours ago, WilkoPerth said:

ok Thanks, I have a 7 year old as well, when would i have to start looking for him?

Start looking when you've got your rental. People usually get homes where there are properties available, that you can afford, close enough for the work commute, close to services you may require and in a neighbourhood that doesn't fill you with horror. The schools reflect the suburb so if you couldn't bear to live in the suburb you wouldn't want your kid in the school. All kids living within the school's priority enrolment area are guaranteed a place regardless of when they arrive. If you fancy a school and you're out of their area they may agree to take you if they have vacancies but they're not obliged to.  Government schooling is going to cost you $4k pa (I mentioned in one of your other posts) on a temporary visa. If you don't like the gov system and you're Catholic, there's usually a parallel Catholic system. Schools are going to be the least of your problems.

Your 4 year old can apply for a part time kindergarten place but I'm not sure that a place in either a school or community kindergarten is guaranteed. They will start full time school at the beginning of the year they are 5 or will turn 5 by 30 June.

• Like 1

The religious private schools you don't necessarily have to be 'Catholic' to obtain a place or any other denomination for the others, just respect the values of the school. In terms of the price as it is Primary, sometimes these private schools are cheaper than the Government schools they can choose to waiver additional fees and I have known this to be the case on a few occasions. 

• Like 2

Top Public Primary Schools in Perth - 2023 (bettereducation.com.au)

This shows you a ranking of Perth primary schools.  As you will note, there is a strong correlation between socio-economic score and school performance.  As noted above, find a nice suburb and you generally find a nice school.  Big factors then are how far from the city you want or need to be, what your budget is, and what you can find.  For Primary school we had to show a 6 months+ lease in the catchment.  In demand High schools seem to ask for 12 months minimum.

Edit: Having said that about catchment, worth checking the rules for temp visa.  Enrol at a public school - Department of Education

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2024 at 03:30, Jon the Hat said:

Top Public Primary Schools in Perth - 2023 (bettereducation.com.au)

This shows you a ranking of Perth primary schools.  As you will note, there is a strong correlation between socio-economic score and school performance.  As noted above, find a nice suburb and you generally find a nice school.  Big factors then are how far from the city you want or need to be, what your budget is, and what you can find.  For Primary school we had to show a 6 months+ lease in the catchment.  In demand High schools seem to ask for 12 months minimum.

Edit: Having said that about catchment, worth checking the rules for temp visa.  Enrol at a public school - Department of Education

This is great thank you!

• Like 1