143 via 651

Caroline01

I’m hoping to move to Australia in next couple of years to be with daughter. I’ve looked at various scenarios including applying for 143 visa offshore then prior to travel 870 visa x 2 (5 years). Hopefully by then 143 will be granted. Or 173 then 143, however both seem to have same ridiculous processing time. Now looking at 651 evisitor, leave at 3 months, come back and apply onshore for 143, then apply for bridging visa until 143 is granted. My question is, is last scenario doable. Chat gpt says yes but I’m not sure. 

45 minutes ago, Caroline01 said:

I’m hoping to move to Australia in next couple of years to be with daughter. I’ve looked at various scenarios including applying for 143 visa offshore then prior to travel 870 visa x 2 (5 years). Hopefully by then 143 will be granted. Or 173 then 143, however both seem to have same ridiculous processing time. Now looking at 651 evisitor, leave at 3 months, come back and apply onshore for 143, then apply for bridging visa until 143 is granted. My question is, is last scenario doable. Chat gpt says yes but I’m not sure. 

Never trust ChatGPT.  If it doesn't know the answer, it makes things up.

If you apply for a 143 onshore, you don't get a bridging visa, which means you'll need to go home when your tourist visa expires. 

What you want is the onshore version of the 143, which is the 864.  If you come on a tourist visa, then apply onshore for the 864, you will get a bridging visa and can remain in Australia until the visa is granted.  There are downsides to living in Australia on a bridging visa, including not being able to work, not being able to leave the country (even for a holiday) without special permission, and having to pay hefty fees if you want to buy a home. So be sure you're informed about all that before you decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah right, maybe that’s what I meant🤣. A 651 then 864 then bridging visa. Am I right in thinking I could apply for a bridging visa B if I wanted to travel outside of Australia, say to come to uk to sort house for sale, etc? Also, if my daughter has already purchased her own home, is she able to help me reduce any fees in purchasing a property in Australia? I know I’ll have to pay extra taxes, that’s all another maze of rabbit holes I’ll be going down, I’m sure!

So you can do it with Contributory Aged Parent but not with Contributory Parent, which costs the same but just different age bracket? That’s so bizarre. I’m starting to lose the will to live trying to work it all out. I don’t want to pay a migration agent to help me before I know what I need to do. 

I am in same boat. How old are you? I would say get in the queue for the 143, do 2 x 870 and hope visa granted by then. That is my plan. Some agents will do free initial consult so maybe talk to Allan collect of go mayilda or one of the others who are on this forum. Good luck.

• Like 1

I’m 57, 58 in April. Daughter is in Brisbane due to get her PR soon and I’d like to join her once she has settled down, so in next 3-4 years. 
I’ll still be a way off retirement age. I’ve been looking at Go Matilda, so will probably contact though I think some are loath to give free advice in case they lose business. I just want to know the quickest and most cost effective way of eventually applying for PR to be with daughter. 
173 visa used to take a couple of years and I was going to apply for that and then the 143 but both are now taking 12 years plus! Why would you wait over 12 years for a 2 year visa?? Maybe over the next 12 months there’ll be a Parent visa shake up, for the better hopefully 🤞 

38 minutes ago, Caroline01 said:

I’m 57, 58 in April. Daughter is in Brisbane due to get her PR soon and I’d like to join her once she has settled down, so in next 3-4 years. 
I’ll still be a way off retirement age.

In that case, I would get your 143 application in now.   

There is no visa that will allow you to move in 3-4 years and continue working.  You'd need to go the tourist visa/864 route, and the bridging visa wouldn't have work rights. So if you want to go on working till you're 67, you'll have to stay in the UK.  And if you apply for the 143 now, it should come through just as you're ready to retire.   

Don't forget that while you're waiting, you can travel to Australia every year on tourist visas for holidays. 

I wouldn't wait in hopes that parent visas will get easier.  If anything, they'll get worse. One reason the government is on such a go-slow with parent applications is simply that they don't really want parents to migrate -- they cost the taxpayer too much in Medicare, pensions and aged care.   The Contributory Parent Visa fees sound high, but they don't go anywhere near covering those costs.  There are migrant groups putting pressure on the government to increase the quotas, but although we think of Australia as a migrant country, the number of migrants who want to bring their parents is not a very significant part of the voting population -- and it's all about the votes with government, as we know!  

So depressing 😩. I’m semi retired now and would probably be ok on savings, private pension, etc. That’s my fear, that things will actually get worse, not better. As soon as she gets her PR (she’s had her invite) I’m submitting a 143 and I’ll let it sit there til she’s settled. I’ll see how the land lies then as to which route I go down. Thank you all for your advice. Good luck to everyone trying to join loved ones xx

8 minutes ago, Caroline01 said:

As soon as she gets her PR (she’s had her invite)   I’m submitting a 143

You can't submit your application until she's been settled in Australia for 2 years. 

Is your daughter expecting you to move out with her?  I suggest warning her that it's not going to be easy, and that it may even be impossible for you to get a visa, by the time you're eligible.  Who knows, it might sway her decision if she knew you couldn't join her.   And if she doubts the Australian government would ever close the door -- bear in mind that if you were an Australian, wanting to join your child in the UK, there simply isn't a parent visa you could apply for.   

I've often said that if British migrants want to bring their parents to Australia, perhaps it would be more effective to lobby for a reciprocal agreement for Australian parents, then maybe they'd have more chance of success. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caroline01 said:

I don’t want to pay a migration agent to help me before I know what I need to do. 

That’s kind of the point of the migration agent - helping you work out the most efficient and cost effective route. I do many consultations for clients who then go on to do their own applications. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caroline01 said:

Why would you wait over 12 years for a 2 year visa??

Because the two year visa no longer exists.  Many years ago the wait times were very small.  Now it’s a different story.  At your age you can only apply for the 143 (when your daughter gets PR and assuming you meet the balance of family test) then it’s a long waiting game.  You can go on to have various temporary visas while waiting but none that give you work rights.  I really do suggest you reach out to an agent as what they say will be correct and you will at least know exactly where you stand.  Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Never trust ChatGPT.  If it doesn't know the answer, it makes things up.

Totally agree. I've started using ChatGPT in my job for creating resources and it's absolutely brilliant, but when it comes obtaining factual information it's no match for a human who knows how to use Google properly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Totally agree. I've started using ChatGPT in my job for creating resources and it's absolutely brilliant, but when it comes obtaining factual information it's no match for a human who knows how to use Google properly.

Or getting it to do anything technical.
Tried having it write some super basic tests for some code that I was throwing together, to see how it would perform.

Let's just say, my job's not in any danger of disappearing any time soon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1