Rain

Cheery Thistle

Really feel for you Cheery Thistle.  The pictures on the news from Scotland have been dreadful..  We haven’t done badly in South Yorkshire, although my daughter who has come to spend Christmas here with her Australian partner (first time back in 15 years!) would have liked a white Christmas.  My friends and ex- neighbours in Bendigo and Junortoun reported 100mm of rain in 2 days.

• Like 1

I just really really struggle with it this time of year and it’s been particularly wet this year. The lack of sunlight and lack of blue sky thoroughly gets to me. I actually hate it! It’s miserable walking the dogs, it’s miserable going out and about. 
Come now, we’re not really comparing the GC to the Lothians now? Yes, GC had a storm, but it’s now 30 degrees and blue sky! It’s been raining more or less incessantly here for 3 months. Not to mention the wet, grey ‘summer’ we suffered. 3 months of sun in June before the school summer holiday. Then rain every day of the school holiday. No word of a lie!! 

9 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I just really really struggle with it this time of year and it’s been particularly wet this year. The lack of sunlight and lack of blue sky thoroughly gets to me. I actually hate it! It’s miserable walking the dogs, it’s miserable going out and about. 
Come now, we’re not really comparing the GC to the Lothians now? Yes, GC had a storm, but it’s now 30 degrees and blue sky! It’s been raining more or less incessantly here for 3 months. Not to mention the wet, grey ‘summer’ we suffered. 3 months of sun in June before the school summer holiday. Then rain every day of the school holiday. No word of a lie!! 

Sorry, wasn’t making a direct comparison in that way. Just saying there’s weather everywhere. Just as well it’s blue sky now, they have no roof. 

I understand your desperation to move, I really do, I have been there in both countries. I hope the move is everything you want and a positive change for you, you definitely sound like you need it. I don’t find the winter gets me down in the way you do, but constantly drying dogs does get boring!

Hang in there, you’ll be on the move before you know it. 

• Like 3

That should say 3 weeks of sun, not months lol. 
There’s bad weather damage here too, fortunately not our house though. 
The winter has always got to me but I find as I have got older it’s worse, could be the Covid lockdown effect, not sure. We booked and paid for a Christmas light attraction a few weeks ago with some pals and the kids. It was a total washout! Was so bad parts of it were impassable and the kids couldn’t really get on any of the rides. Had to be paid for in advance. We all agreed we would have been better off just staying at home! I get cabin fever from being confined to the house! .As you say not long to go, If Aus doesn’t work out we’ve decided we are not coming back to Scotland. I speak 3 other languages reasonably well and a further one at a basic level which gives us a head start elsewhere. Mopped the floor again last night, poor dogs aren’t getting over the threshold without a towelling down!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Just as well it’s blue sky now, they have no roof. 

My commiserations.  Queensland has really been through the wringer in the last few weeks.  Not "a storm" but violent storms over  days.  And the temp. passed 38 C in Brisbane today, with humidity.  (Yuk!).  Not to mention the effects of the cyclone further north.  One place near Cairns had over 2 metres of rain in 5 days - more than the annual rainfall for Cairns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

My commiserations.  Queensland has really been through the wringer in the last few weeks.  Not "a storm" but violent storms over  days.  And the temp. passed 38 C in Brisbane today, with humidity.  (Yuk!).  Not to mention the effects of the cyclone further north.  One place near Cairns had over 2 metres of rain in 5 days - more than the annual rainfall for Cairns.

I know, I follow the news fairly closely. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skani said:

Apparently it’s been classed as a tornado. Which makes sense given what they were describing. Yes, they have had a rough run for sure. They got power back on the following day, so that was at least something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

That should say 3 weeks of sun, not months lol. 
There’s bad weather damage here too, fortunately not our house though. 
The winter has always got to me but I find as I have got older it’s worse, could be the Covid lockdown effect, not sure. We booked and paid for a Christmas light attraction a few weeks ago with some pals and the kids. It was a total washout! Was so bad parts of it were impassable and the kids couldn’t really get on any of the rides. Had to be paid for in advance. We all agreed we would have been better off just staying at home! I get cabin fever from being confined to the house! .As you say not long to go, If Aus doesn’t work out we’ve decided we are not coming back to Scotland. I speak 3 other languages reasonably well and a further one at a basic level which gives us a head start elsewhere. Mopped the floor again last night, poor dogs aren’t getting over the threshold without a towelling down!! 

You clearly need to do something as what you are saying isn’t a great way to live/feel. Australia was good to me, but I just got “done” with it in a way I still struggle to verbalise. But that was my experience moving in 2005, in a very different time/place and personal position to you. Your experience will be different purely because you are you, not me! 
Brilliant you can speak different languages, I am so English, I just shout slowly! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

You clearly need to do something as what you are saying isn’t a great way to live/feel. Australia was good to me, but I just got “done” with it in a way I still struggle to verbalise. But that was my experience moving in 2005, in a very different time/place and personal position to you. Your experience will be different purely because you are you, not me! 
Brilliant you can speak different languages, I am so English, I just shout slowly! 

That’s how I feel about it here. I am done with it, over it. I actually think a lot of people feel the same at the moment but are not in a position to do anything about it. I have been really surprised at people’s reactions to us moving, it has been overwhelmingly positive with a lot of people saying they are a bit envious of both the opportunity and our bravery. It’s not as if we are in the ‘nothing to lose’ camp. 
I literally feel like I ‘survive’ winter here. It’s not so bad if we get cold blue sky days, but the months of great greyness that we experience really gets to me! 
I was a languages teacher to trade so have decent French, Spanish and Italian and a wee bit of Portuguese. We went to Malaga a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and it was just fabulous. Lovely weather, vibrant and unique street markets and fantastic Christmas lights. You wouldn’t believe their public debt levels are so much higher than the UK. Anyway I’m off to walk the dogs as it looks like a rare dry day! Hooray! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skani said:

Dare I say that the Sunshine Coast has got away lightly so far, fingers crossed as storms forecast for tomorrow, the humidity and temperature has shot up the last 2 days,  but we have spent plenty of time under cover outside for most of Christmas. Son & wife came up to the coast today, as it was slightly cooler than Brisbane,  32’? here. went to the beach first, then back here to use the pool. 

• Like 3

On 29/12/2023 at 01:12, Cheery Thistle said:

Good God will it ever stop. 
In Scotland and feels like it has been raining since October without halt!! 

My sister (from Edinburgh) is happy to be away from the horrible weather.  She's here until the end of March.

• Like 2