White goods - to bring or not to bring

Hi there,

I know it can be subjective about what to bring or not but have a good Samsung fridge freezer, (cost about £1000 in 2014) and a condensing dryer and washing machine both about 4 years old - I'm getting shipping quotes soon but wondered if there was a rough rule of thumb about if it paid to bring these items or not.  Especially the fridge freezer as wondered if these travel well.

Many thanks

Dominic

The best advice is, don't think of them in isolation.    Think about what you really want to take with you first.   If you're leaving everything else behind and just taking a few boxes of personal effects, it's probably not worth bringing the white goods.  However if you've got other furniture to take, you're going to need a container (or a shared container) anyway, so you might as well fill it as much as you can.   Basically the more you ship, the less it costs per cubic metre.

• Like 1

We shipped a container over a few months ago and brought our Samsung fridge freezer. It arrived in the same condition as when we shipped it so all good.

We didn’t bring other white goods as they were integrated in our kitchen but have purchased a couple of items here and have found them to be around the same sort of price mark if you shop around. 

If you have room bring them. Make sure the washer drum is secured. Many kitchens do have a space for a fridge so it may not fit exactly but a second fridge in the garage is always a good thing. Make sure there is NO water in any of them. It takes weeks to ship and the containers can get hot. You will end up with mould.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just a thought,we have a container coming in April when we move to brisbane.our white goods are old and a bit battered.we are thinking of buying new here in the UK and putting in the container obviously out of the packaging as we've heard white goods are very expensive in Aus?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Just a thought,we have a container coming in April when we move to brisbane.our white goods are old and a bit battered.we are thinking of buying new here in the UK and putting in the container obviously out of the packaging as we've heard white goods are very expensive in Aus?

If doing this means leaving other things behind i wouldnt bother, however if you have the space in the container anyway, go for it. Just compare prices first as i dont think there is much difference but haven't needed to look for a while.  Also bear in mind, some places can be funny with warranty's if the product wasn't bought overseas.

Some popular places around Brisbane for white goods would be -

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/

A few people also use Kogan or Appliances on line, so check out their prices too.

Cal x

• Like 1

If you are a bit of a risk taker, Id say just buy second hand when you arrive.

We bought a fridge freezer and a washer/dryer after we arrived and both situations were bizarre!

A couple of days after moving into our rental, arranged on gumtree to buy a fridge freezer, and turned up this guys house.  He was an obvious drug addict, and when I looked at the fridge it it was still plugged in and contained his food and medication.  I did at this point say, obviously you still need it, Ill find one elsewhere.  But he was insistent I could take it, quite a nice guy and I ended up buying it. It was quite old, but bought it for about $50 and worked just fine. (after extensive cleaning!)

Second time, bought a virtually brand new washing machine/dryer for $150.  The guy was selling it as he had bought it as a gift for his wife (note : terrible gift) and she didn't like it as it was a front loader and she preferred top loader.  He was in a massive rush, because his wife had just given birth THAT MORNING, and he was just rushing home to pick up some clothes for her at the point we called.  We ended up in a comedy reverse haggling situation where he offered it to us for 40 less than the advertised price, and I then countered upwards to 20 less than advertised.  I think he would have accepted anything to get rid of us and the unwanted gift washer.   That one was a super bargain, as we bought it in 2015 and brought it back to the UK - it is still in use now.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 19:03, Simontucks said:

Just a thought,we have a container coming in April when we move to brisbane.our white goods are old and a bit battered. we are thinking of buying new here in the UK and putting in the container obviously out of the packaging as we've heard white goods are very expensive in Aus?

As others have mentioned, I'd bring them if there's room in your container. You'll need to change the plugs but you can use an UK/AUS adapter in the short term. The people we bought our current house off kindly left us all their white goods (they were moving overseas too, but weren't taking a container) and because theirs were in better nick we just sold off the UK ones. The one thing we still have from the UK is a SMEG dishwasher which I bought new, and is still going strong 17 years later.

Another consideration is that if you don't ship them then you'll need to dispose/sell them before you leave your UK home, so you may be without those appliances for a short time before you move - unless the buyer of your house agrees to include them in the sale.