temporary travel to UK whilst on Bridging Visa

teejaybee

We will be entering Australia on tourist visas and immediatly applying for subclass 804 visas.

Bridging Visas will be issued.(all being well)

Could the forum clarify how easy will it be for me to make occasional return visits(hopefully once or twice a year) to see my son and grandchildren back in the UK.

I am rather confused by Australian. goverment information in this respect.

Real life expereiences of this issue appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by teejaybee
spelling error

It is a little confusing but here is the bottom line:

The intention of a bridging visa is that it allows you to wait in Australia until your full visa is granted.  There is NO provision for you to travel in and out of the country, not even once.  Therefore, if you want to go overseas for any reason, you must apply to the Australian government for a BVB (Bridging Visa B). You will have to explain the reasons for your trip(s) and provide dates of travel.  Immigration is not under any obligation to grant you a BVB, it is discretionary -- however I don't believe people are often denied.   The BVB will be issued to cover the duration of your overseas trip(s).

If you are meticulous in your forward planning, it's more of an inconvenience (and extra cost) than anything, however it's important to take the process seriously.  If you leave Australia without a valid BVB, or fail to return before the BVB expiry date, you will lose all rights to re-enter Australia.   Someone posted on Pomsinoz recently seeking help after falling foul of this rule:  she left Australia without a valid BVB, and despite having lived in Australia for 12 years and having her home and partner here, she was denied entry and is now stranded overseas.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The intention of a bridging visa is that it allows you to wait in Australia until your full visa is granted.  There is NO provision for you to travel in and out of the country, not even once.  Therefore, if you want to go overseas for any reason, you must apply to the Australian government for a BVB (Bridging Visa B). You will have to explain the reasons for your trip(s) and provide dates of travel.  Immigration is not under any obligation to grant you a BVB, it is discretionary -- however I don't believe people are often denied.   The BVB will be issued to cover the duration of your overseas trip(s).

If you are meticulous in your forward planning, it's more of an inconvenience (and extra cost) than anything, however it's important to take the process seriously.  If you leave Australia without a valid BVB, or fail to return before the BVB expiry date, you will lose all rights to re-enter Australia.   Someone posted on Pomsinoz recently seeking help after falling foul of this rule:  she left Australia without a valid BVB, and despite having lived in Australia for 12 years and having her home and partner here, she was denied entry and is now stranded overseas.

Thank you once more Marisa for your interpretation of the rules and veritable fountain of knowledge.

I understood the BVB will automatically be granted to 804 applicants due to the long timeframe (30 years ? ) for visa to be granted.

My original question relates to the section which says 'why you want to travel' ? and wondering if a request to visit UK family members once or twice a year

would gain approval.

When you can travel on a BVB

BVBs are granted with a defined travel period. You can leave and re-enter Australia during this travel period.

When we determine the BVB travel period we will consider:

• why you want to travel
  • when we are likely to make a decision on your substantive visa application

When you apply for the BVB:

• provide evidence of your reason for travel outside Australia
  • let us know when you intend to travel

Your visa grant notice will clearly define the travel period of your BVB if we grant it.

We can't change or extend the BVB travel period after we grant it. If you are in Australia when the travel period ends and you need to travel outside Australia again, you can apply for another BVB.

Edited by teejaybee
typo error

21 minutes ago, teejaybee said:

My original question relates to the section which says 'why you want to travel' ? and wondering if a request to visit UK family members once or twice a year

would gain approval.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, teejaybee said:

would gain approval.

As Paul says, this is one area where the Department says one thing and does another.  

Their rules suggest you need to have solid reasons to go overseas, not just for a holiday. In practice, it seems pretty easy to get one, as Paul Hand says.  Having said that, it's not necessarily quick to get one, so never book a flight before you get your BVB.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 15:14, Marisawright said:

Let me ask you this. Was she denied entry even though she is the wife of an Australian? Or she's not a wife, she just has a partner. Can I read the details somewhere?

Hi all.

10 minutes ago, LettCat said:

Let me ask you this. Was she denied entry even though she is the wife of an Australian? Or she's not a wife, she just has a partner. Can I read the details somewhere?

Her partner was a New Zealander. I mentioned him only to demonstrate how settled she was.

Edited by Marisawright