Visa for farm work or apply as skilled joiner / carpenter?

Excluding WHV, which my son previously had for working on a farm, is there any sponsored visa that would allow a family to apply for permanent residence doing unqualified farm work?

When I say unqualified, I mean no qualifications, but highly experienced in dairy and arable. Both husband wife have experience.

He is a also a qualified and very experienced joiner / carpenter. In the UK he has always worked in the building trade (employed and own business) and farming simultaneously (14 hour days / 6 or 7 days).

He will not have points for 189 visa so would need sponsored.

If he gets a sponsored visa as Carpenter / Joiner will he be able to legitemately do farm work (on the side), with permission of his sponsor?

On 23/05/2023 at 09:26, Colink2 said:

Excluding WHV, which my son previously had for working on a farm, is there any sponsored visa that would allow a family to apply for permanent residence doing unqualified farm work?

No.

On 23/05/2023 at 09:26, Colink2 said:

He is a also a qualified and very experienced joiner / carpenter. In the UK he has always worked in the building trade (employed and own business) and farming simultaneously (14 hour days / 6 or 7 days).

He will not have points for 189 visa so would need sponsored.

He might be able to apply for a 190 visa though, because points are less important for that visa.  Best bet is for him to book a one-off consultation with a good agent, who'll be able to work through his options. Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

Once he's got a permanent visa, he's not limited -- he can do any kind of work he likes.   It may take a year or more to go through the process though.

Edited by Marisawright

@Marisawright Thanks for your reply. I assumed farming would not be suitable for a visa.

I note your suggestion to use an agent, which he will do. In the meantime we are keen to get a broad idea of possible visas.

190 looks interesting.

I hope you don’t mind a few more questions, or perhaps someone else could comment.

He might scrape 60 to 65 points depending on work experience and age.

Could you clarify “points less important” - in case he does not make 65 points.

He will be 33 in January. Is the 30 points for age based on the application or invitation date? (I am not sure yet how someone gets invited). Is it possible for him to meet the under 33 age bracket at this stage.

He has been self employed as a Carpenter/ Joiner for 6 years plus. How does he prove his self employment was in that trade? Sample invoices, photos of work done, receipts for joinery tools, something else (I don’t think Self Employed register with a SIC code.

If he applies for a different visa, works in Australia for some time, is the full fee payable for the 190 visa if he applies while working in Australia?

Thanks Colin K

1 hour ago, Colink2 said:

Could you clarify “points less important” - in case he does not make 65 points.

He must make the basic 65 points, that's not negotiable. And to be honest, if he's only got 65 points, I wouldn't fancy his chances even for the 190.   

Are you aware he can take the English test, even though he's a native speaker?  It's actually not an easy test, even if you speak English, but if he can get a decent score, it's a good way to increase his points. 

To prove his employment, tax records are the first step but again, an agent will advise about all of that (and also about how to take the English test).

Yes the full fee is payable no matter where or when you apply.

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

He must make the basic 65 points, that's not negotiable. And to be honest, if he's only got 65 points, I wouldn't fancy his chances even for the 190.   

Are you aware he can take the English test, even though he's a native speaker?  It's actually not an easy test, even if you speak English, but if he can get a decent score, it's a good way to increase his points. 

To prove his employment, tax records are the first step but again, an agent will advise about all of that (and also about how to take the English test).

Being totally pedantic, the fee is actually higher if applying on shore as GST is applicable - but if applying offshore it isn't (so that's 10% for GST)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks for your further reply. He has severe dyslexia. Will not pass any English test. Born in the UK, competent enough in English to work for employers, run his own business and earn enough to own three houses in the UK.

He will be 33 in January 2024. Is the 30 points for age based on the application asking to be invited or invitation date? Is it possible for him to meet the under 33 age bracket by January 2024.

What other visas should he consider (presumably sponsored)? Do any of these require fewer points?

I am assuming he will not have an issue getting sponsored. His local contacts (who would give him exceptional references) could probably find a sponsor.

Thanks ColinK

What other visas should he consider (presumably sponsored)? Do any of these require fewer points?

I am assuming he will not have an issue getting sponsored. His local contacts (who would give him exceptional references) could probably find a sponsor.

That's bad news about the dyslexia.  65 points is what you need to be eligible to apply for  a permanent visa, but that's like saying you've only just achieved the pass mark in an exam.  Immigration favours those who have higher points scores.  He'll be up against people who can offer the same skills and experience as him, but they've also done the English test, so they'll have scores of 75 or 85 points.  However he may be in luck as tradies are in short supply currently. A good agent will have an idea what the competition is like at the moment.  

Age is at time of invitation, so it's important he gets his skates on.

His other option is to get sponsorship on a 482 visa as a carpenter, which is a short term (2 to 4 years) visa, with the possibility of transitioning to a permanent visa later on (though that's not guaranteed).  The catch, from your point of view, is that if he's sponsored then he's obliged to work full-time for that employer.  Of course there's nothing to stop him helping out on the family farm in his free time (unpaid, though what you give him cash-in-hand is your business).  

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks for your further reply. He has severe dyslexia. Will not pass any English test. Born in the UK, competent enough in English to work for employers, run his own business and earn enough to own three houses in the UK.

He will be 33 in January 2024. Is the 30 points for age based on the application asking to be invited or invitation date? Is it possible for him to meet the under 33 age bracket by January 2024.

Thanks ColinK

IELTS English test have provisions for candidates with dyslexia

• Like 1