Is it still worth it?

pinkpom

5 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Not seen any indication of a drug culture in Sydney at all, or Melbourne.

Some pockets as there always will be, but it's no where near the US or UK.

I think maybe @Blue Flu needs to move to a better locality if they are seeing this level of drug culture as it certainly isn't the norm

The best localities are full of the manufacture of methamphetamine in Perth. I can't name a suburb not in its grip.  Believe me I would have thought seriously of moving there.  Interestingly, I met up with another  concerned person in the suburb of Burler last week. End of the line. Plenty of Poms. Full of drugs as well. 

Come now, Sydney has major problems with drugs. A tabloid done a headline report on the Sydney drug scene a few months ago. Actually long established. Why deny it? 

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Maybe Perth is particularly bad as far as the drug culture is concerned.  Either that or Blue Flu lives in an area rife with the manufacturing and selling of drugs and apparently nobody can do a thing about it which seems very strange to me.  There are drugs here too but same as anywhere else a certain type seem to be involved and the police hopefully are on top of it.  Certainly nothing like that going on in our neck of the woods.

It is a shocker . Quite probably the biggest methamphetamine manufacturing city in the world on a population basis and involvement. Clearly stated in stats as the biggest in Australia, with multi billion dollar' industry' as recorded from 2017. I would imagine, much bigger now. But I have stated all this before .

I will say things have got a little quieter recently with less drug traffic in my street.  

May I suggest you would most likely not be aware of what is going down in your neck of the woods. I had no idea, of the extent, until informed by a neighbour,  it is everywhere on my street , it gradually built up, and impossible not to be aware after vigilance has been called to attention. We are highly attractive to Eastern States people due to the high economic returns. 

The sad thing is the massive impact on country WA. 

Our neighbourhood , being close to Asia also makes us very vulnerable to criminal exploitation. There is a silence and denial around the subject , but plenty are aware of what's going down. 

28 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

It is a shocker . Quite probably the biggest methamphetamine manufacturing city in the world on a population basis and involvement. Clearly stated in stats as the biggest in Australia, with multi billion dollar' industry' as recorded from 2017. I would imagine, much bigger now. But I have stated all this before .

I will say things have got a little quieter recently with less drug traffic in my street.  

May I suggest you would most likely not be aware of what is going down in your neck of the woods. I had no idea, of the extent, until informed by a neighbour,  it is everywhere on my street , it gradually built up, and impossible not to be aware after vigilance has been called to attention. We are highly attractive to Eastern States people due to the high economic returns. 

The sad thing is the massive impact on country WA. 

Our neighbourhood , being close to Asia also makes us very vulnerable to criminal exploitation. There is a silence and denial around the subject , but plenty are aware of what's going down. 

What you describe reminds me of my observations of Vancouver.   What a beautiful city and it felt very safe and clean and modern - much like being in Sydney CBD (but with more stinky cannabis).  Then we drove out 45 mins south east to meet customers and I had my first experience of seeing people obviously under the influence of what my local colleague told me was meth.  It was a pitiful sight.  Distressing actually.  And it wasn't just that one strip mall and traffic junction.  I must have seen it ten times that day.

On 08/03/2023 at 20:36, pinkpom said:

I’ve recently had a research trip back to Oz, to Queensland and Sydney, to see where we would want to move back to (have some family/friend support in both places). I’ve been horrified by how much costs have risen without it seems a corresponding rise in salaries.

Healthcare seems to be going the same way as the UK eg crap and difficult to access...

Getting the thread back on track...

You're not the only horrified by how expensive Australia has become. Everyone talks about house prices, but food has become exorbitant in the last year or so (supply chain issues, inflation, floods, droughts etc). Recently I've found myself visiting our local supermarket at a certain time of day when stuff has been marked down, so I can grab a bargain or two.

We're in Cairns and have friends (she's a nurse and he's a tradie) who moved down to the Sunshine Coast two years, and they are loving it. With a predominantly ageing population they are crying out for healthcare workers there, especially doctors and nurses. She's on very good money and working conditions compared with working in the NHS, and said that the Sunshine Coast Hospital seems more like a private hospital, it so nice inside. I'm sure you're OH could find work there too, as there seems to be more jobs than people at the moment just about everywhere. Given the choice of living in the rat race or on the Queensland coast, I know which I'd choose. House prices have gone up in S E Queensland a lot too, but its still far more affordable than Sydney.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

What you describe reminds me of my observations of Vancouver.   What a beautiful city and it felt very safe and clean and modern - much like being in Sydney CBD (but with more stinky cannabis).  Then we drove out 45 mins south east to meet customers and I had my first experience of seeing people obviously under the influence of what my local colleague told me was meth.  It was a pitiful sight.  Distressing actually.  And it wasn't just that one strip mall and traffic junction.  I must have seen it ten times that day.

San Francisco, another lovely city has a terrible problem with drugs and it's right in your face.  Couldn't believe it.  Very disturbing.

• Sad 1