Subclass 189 or 190?

Tom_P

Good evening, 

I’m looking for some advice on which visa to express interest in. Here’s my situation.. 

I meet the requirements for both the Skilled Independent Visa (189) and the Skilled Nominated Visa (190). According to the Home Affairs website, the processing time for the 189 is way longer than the 190. But for the 190, I’d have an obligation to live and work in my nominated state or territory for 2 years. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the state is WA or NSW (where some of my friends and family live). 

I believe I can be in Australia when I apply for either visa and I’d like to get over there as soon as I can. 

So my questions are: 

Is there any guarantee that the state I want to live in will nominate me if I apply for the 190?

If I choose to move to Australia before I apply for one of the Skilled Visas, would the Working Holiday Visa be my best option in the meantime? Or would that affect my application for permanent residency? 

Thanks in advance! 

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom_P said:

If I choose to move to Australia before I apply for one of the Skilled Visas, would the Working Holiday Visa be my best option in the meantime? Or would that affect my application for permanent residency? 

If you're young enough to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, then I would say it's certainly your best option. You'll get approval in a few weeks and can be on the plane in no time.

Once in Australia, if you find work in your own field (rather than backpacking/hospitality like most WHV'ers), then you'd be in a good position to find an employer to sponsor you for a 482 (temp visa) or preferably a 186 (which gives you PR).  Employer-sponsored visas seem to be getting approval much faster than skilled visas at the moment.

The other advantage is that if you have a good employer behind you, you've got a very good chance of getting the visa. Whereas the 189 and the 190 are highly competitive.  It's like applying for a job -- thousands of highly-qualified people apply every year, and Immigration cherry-picks only the very best.   For a 189 visa, you'll need a points score of 95 or 100 to stand any chance of success.  Points are less important for the 190 but it's still competitive.  

For the 190,you have to decide which state you want to apply for. If you apply for more than one state, you won't get a nomination at all.

7 hours ago, Phil1712 said:

Absolutely ridiculous that the government is still allowing people to apply for visas when there is such a huge backlog 

Why, they want the best applicants, there is no guarantee that the best people are already in the queue so if we are doing migration for the good of Australia it stands to reason we leave the process open

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Why, they want the best applicants, there is no guarantee that the best people are already in the queue so if we are doing migration for the good of Australia it stands to reason we leave the process open

because there are people that have spent thousands of pounds and are still waiting for their grants. Very frustrating when you are seeing other people being approved with a much shorter time frame. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you're young enough to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, then I would say it's certainly your best option. You'll get approval in a few weeks and can be on the plane in no time.

Once in Australia, if you find work in your own field (rather than backpacking/hospitality like most WHV'ers), then you'd be in a good position to find an employer to sponsor you for a 482 (temp visa) or preferably a 186 (which gives you PR).  Employer-sponsored visas seem to be getting approval much faster than skilled visas at the moment.

The other advantage is that if you have a good employer behind you, you've got a very good chance of getting the visa. Whereas the 189 and the 190 are highly competitive.  It's like applying for a job -- thousands of highly-qualified people apply every year, and Immigration cherry-picks only the very best.   For a 189 visa, you'll need a points score of 95 or 100 to stand any chance of success.  Points are less important for the 190 but it's still competitive.  

For the 190,you have to decide which state you want to apply for. If you apply for more than one state, you won't get a nomination at all.

Excellent, thanks for the advice! I’m 28 years old now, so that route definitely seems more suited for my timeframe. 

Is a skills assessment still required for the 186 visa? 

13 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

What is your occupation? Have you passed your skills assessment yet?

I’m a Cabinetmaker. I haven’t arranged a skills assessment, but I’m aware I would need to have passed one at the time I’m invited to apply for a skilled visa. 

9 hours ago, Tom_P said:

I’m a Cabinetmaker. I haven’t arranged a skills assessment, but I’m aware I would need to have passed one at the time I’m invited to apply for a skilled visa. 

You need it before you lodge an expression of interest and if you are claiming points for English language then you need to have passed an English test such as ILETS prior as well. 

10 hours ago, Tom_P said:

Excellent, thanks for the advice! I’m 28 years old now, so that route definitely seems more suited for my timeframe. 

Is a skills assessment still required for the 186 visa? 

Yes it is, but not much point getting it done now as that may be a couple of years away.

4 hours ago, Tom_P said:

The skills assessment may be a couple of years away? 

By the time you've organised yourself, got your WHV, worked for a while, found a willing employer etc, it's going to be several months at least. I would just check that you can get your skills assessment in Australia, and if you can, then just leave it until you've got an employer willing to sponsor you.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

By the time you've organised yourself, got your WHV, worked for a while, found a willing employer etc, it's going to be several months at least. I would just check that you can get your skills assessment in Australia, and if you can, then just leave it until you've got an employer willing to sponsor you.

Ah I see. Nice one, thanks! 

5 hours ago, Tom_P said:

Ah I see. Nice one, thanks! 

There's no harm in looking into doing a skills assessment in the UK before you go on a WHV, depending on what line of work you are in some skills assessments can remain valid for 2 years. I'm a nurse and mine lasts for two years. You might also be eligible to apply for a 190 onshore on a WHV, if you work in your nominated occupation in Aus, again depending again on your occupation. 

• 3 months later...
On 20/10/2022 at 14:42, sugrivsur said:

Both of these subclass requirements are different. The 189 visa does not require any sponsorship, but the 190 visa requires a state or territory nomination.

The subclass 491 visa has replaced the subclass 489 visa from 16 November 2019. The 491 visa is a points-based visa. It also has an age limit of 45 years along with skills assessment in the nominated occupation.  guest survey surveyzop.com