Medicare re bridging visa

Flyaway

Not full Medicare. As you are a U.K. citizen (one assumes resident in U.K. before your arrival) you are entitled to reciprocal care which covers only necessary care. Their assumption is that you will go home for elective items like joint replacements etc (but then you’d be screwed because you’d struggle to demonstrate normal residence to the NHS).  Best to ensure you’ve got good private health insurance to cover you against those non-necessary things that won’t be covered by the reciprocal agreement. 

7 hours ago, Flyaway said:

Can anyone clarify whether UK citizens in Australia awaiting permanent 804 visa can access Medicare whilst on a bridging visa? Finding conflicting results on websites.  Thank you. 

People I have known, from UK, on the bridging visa for the 804 actually had no problem getting anything that was needed including a hip replacement on Medicare, I don’t know if they were just lucky? bot no one ever said there was a problem, but please don’t take this as definite advice.  however the last person I know  received their PR a year ago, so I don’t know if conditions will stay the same or tighten up. There is always private health insurance, not cheap, but perhaps worth it for peace of mind?

I wonder if being on a bridging visa for PR has different conditions to just being a visitor with reciprocal rights? I know while my daughter was on a bridging visa for the partner visa, she had absolutely no problem accessing everything on Medicare, and had fantastic treatment when needed.

I would advise  getting ambulances cover, depending on which state you move to.

Edited by ramot

8 hours ago, Flyaway said:

Can anyone clarify whether UK citizens in Australia awaiting permanent 804 visa can access Medicare whilst on a bridging visa? Finding conflicting results on websites.  Thank you. 

The results are conflicting because (a) the terminology can be confusing and (b) the situation isn't clear-cut.

Firstly, it's irrelevant whether you're a UK citizen or not.  To get reciprocal Medicare, you must be a legal resident of the UK immediately before you arrive in Australia.  So, for instance, if you were a UK citizen but you've been living in France for a few years, you won't get reciprocal Medicare at all.

Secondly, what is reciprocal Medicare?  Officially, as @Quoll says, you're entitled to essential treatment only.   If you need treatment that could wait till you fly home to the UK, you're supposed to fly home to get it.  However in practice, as @ramot says, most people seem to have no problem getting full treatment for everything. 

Of course, if you are proposing to live on the bridging visa, things are likely to change during your lifetime.  As more British parents take the 804/bridging visa route, the costs to the Australian taxpayer will be considerable, and it's likely the government will tighten up.   The UK went through something similar in reverse -- it used to be easy for Brits living in Spain to pop home and get treatment on the NHS, even though the rules said they shouldn't, but a few years ago the British govt decided it was costing too much, and hospitals and GPs have strictly applied the rules since.

I hope you are aware of all the other downsides of living as a visitor in a foreign country for the rest of your life.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I am posting this for anyone reads this and is wondering why the OP cannot get an interim Medicare card. This is offered to permanent resident applicants with the exception of parent visas. The OP falls into this category and the 804 is an "Aged Parent visa".

People who are in Australia on a bridging visa with a skilled PR (and others) application are eligible for an interim card (a blue card) and are also entitled to elective surgery.

I just thought I would add this incase someone reads this at a later time and gets the wrong end of the stick.

48 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am posting this for anyone reads this and is wondering why the OP cannot get an interim Medicare card. This is offered to permanent resident applicants with the exception of parent visas.

If it's with the exception of parent visas, how would the OP qualify?

On 24/05/2022 at 19:04, Marisawright said:

If it's with the exception of parent visas, how would the OP qualify?

I didn't say they did. I am highlighting that in some circumstances you can get Medicare on a bridging visa in order to help other who stumble across this post and have applied for another visa. This is possible as the title of this thread is quite broad and not specific to parental visas.