Stamp duty for recent returnees

Melbpom

I know someone planning to return to the UK and planning to buy quickly if not before leaving Australia. They are British Citizens.

I've been looking at the new rates of stamp duty for non UK residents https://www.stampdutycalculator.org.uk/stamp-duty-non-resident-uk.htm and the 183 day rule for new residents.

Is this time requirement new and is it strictly enforced?

3 hours ago, Melbpom said:

I know someone planning to return to the UK and planning to buy quickly if not before leaving Australia. They are British Citizens.

I've been looking at the new rates of stamp duty for non UK residents https://www.stampdutycalculator.org.uk/stamp-duty-non-resident-uk.htm and the 183 day rule for new residents.

Yes.  We bought a house 2 months after arriving back and had to pay 2% as non residents.  I applied for the refund exactly 6 months after we got back and received the money with interest a couple of days later.

• Like 2

On 04/03/2022 at 21:24, Melbpom said:

I've had a look at the link and it appears the legislation looks at tax residency status rather than nationality and so even if the purchaser is a British Citizen, if they have not lived in the UK for at least 183 days in the 12 months before the purchase, the additional stamp duty will apply.  This is akin to the treatment of British Citizens who have lived overseas and who want to attend British universities.  They have to have lived in the UK for 3 years (not 183 days) prior to attending the university in order to access domestic student university fees.  Similar residency requirements also now apply in respect of accessing the NHS and obtaining welfare benefits. It appears those British Citizens who want to buy real estate get off quite lightly in terms of wait times.  

On a more practical note, it is probably better for anyone relocating to the UK to rent first to ensure that they are happy with their chosen area.  Even if they lived there several years before, areas can change greatly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I’m not aware of residency rules for accessing the NHS unless they’ve changed in the last 10 months.  We moved back on May 1st last year and registered with a GP a couple of days later.  Both my husband and I then had blood tests and bowel cancer tests within 2 weeks.

You just need proof of address to register with a GP and you are in. 😊

38 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I’m not aware of residency rules for accessing the NHS unless they’ve changed in the last 10 months.  We moved back on May 1st last year and registered with a GP a couple of days later.  Both my husband and I then had blood tests and bowel cancer tests within 2 weeks.

It exists but all they do is ask for proof of address. They don’t ask how long you’ve been there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

You just need proof of address to register with a GP and you are in. 😊

Not if the practice is already full and has no capacity for new patients. 
The NHS is very trusting unlike Medicare which is one of the great things about the UK. I’m currently back in the UK for a few months and the lack of red tape and officiousness is a breath of fresh air. So glad to be missing the Qld floods too. 

10 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Not if the practice is already full and has no capacity for new patients. 
The NHS is very trusting unlike Medicare which is one of the great things about the UK. I’m currently back in the UK for a few months and the lack of red tape and officiousness is a breath of fresh air. So glad to be missing the Qld floods too. 

I haven’t noticed GPs being very trusting when it comes to registering with them, they want evidence of address. And obviously if the practice is full that’s an issue, but not one I’ve heard about recently. that trust you speak of might be why the nhs has no money if it just treats everyone like a resident. 

14 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I haven’t noticed GPs being very trusting when it comes to registering with them, they want evidence of address. And obviously if the practice is full that’s an issue, but not one I’ve heard about recently. that trust you speak of might be why the nhs has no money if it just treats everyone like a resident. 

At least the NHS is short of money due to caring for all which I believe is part of the Hyppocratic (not sure of spelling)  oath rather than Medicare which is severely underfunded and charges those who don’t show a Medicare card.  The reason borders were shut for so long in Qld and WA was due to fear of underfunded hospitals being overwhelmed…. 

Edited by Loopylu

8 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

At least the NHS is short of money due to caring for all which I believe is part of the Hyppocratic (not sure of spelling)  oath rather than Medicare which is severely underfunded and charges those who don’t show a Medicare card.  The reason borders were shut for so long in Qld and WA was due to fear of underfunded hospitals being overwhelmed…. 

That’s a nice way of looking at it. 😊

There definitely seems to be a crisis in public health funding and efficiency in either place, not sure that beyond true emergency care we can afford to care for everyone passing through for much longer. I don’t know how much non resident healthcare actually costs the tax payer to be fair, might not be much.🤷🏻‍♀️

We just don’t have the flex in the system to respond dynamically to anything really, despite some heroic work on the ground. That said any care I have needed has been timely and with the odd exception, of good quality. 
I work in Wales nhs and it’s the same battles but with a different mindset. No commissioning in Wales, makes a hell of a difference.

Enjoy your stay here!

6 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I’m not quite sure who else apart from people like me who were on the retirement visa not entitled to Medicare, as a condition of the visa, and had to have health insurance wouldn’t have a Medicare card? Surely if you are a visitor and don’t have a Medicare card, or come from a reciprocal country why shouldn’t you pay? I certainly should have paid for my visits and treatment from the Dr when in UK on holiday as although I lived in Australia I wasn’t Australian, so not entitled to reciprocal, but even though this was always explained, it was in the too hard basket, so I got free NHS. So I dread to think how many many more people have had free treatment when not entitled.

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

That’s a nice way of looking at it. 😊

There definitely seems to be a crisis in public health funding and efficiency in either place, not sure that beyond true emergency care we can afford to care for everyone passing through for much longer. I don’t know how much non resident healthcare actually costs the tax payer to be fair, might not be much.🤷🏻‍♀️

We just don’t have the flex in the system to respond dynamically to anything really, despite some heroic work on the ground. That said any care I have needed has been timely and with the odd exception, of good quality. 
I work in Wales nhs and it’s the same battles but with a different mindset. No commissioning in Wales, makes a hell of a difference.

Enjoy your stay here!

I’m in Wales too (Carmarthenshire) as my Dad passed away on 15 Feb. The district nurses, GP and the Marie Curie nurse were amazing and the oncology and palliative care was also first class.

My husband is not having such a great experience in the public system in Qld. He has kidney failure and is on dialysis. It ‘s been over a year and after 3 attempts he still does not have a satisfactory fistula (partly down to surgical error). After the last fistula failed he had to wait a week for a permacath (and therefore dialysis!) and he developed a 3cm blood clot in the jugular vein and he had a collapsed lung… 

All very stressful when I was here dealing with the end of my Dad’s life. I had a few very early morning and late night calls to the RBWH.

As you say we are off topic! Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I’m in Wales too (Carmarthenshire) as my Dad passed away on 15 Feb. The district nurses, GP and the Marie Curie nurse were amazing and the oncology and palliative care was also first class.

My husband is not having such a great experience in the public system in Qld. He has kidney failure and is on dialysis. It ‘s been over a year and after 3 attempts he still does not have a satisfactory fistula (partly down to surgical error). After the last fistula failed he had to wait a week for a permacath (and therefore dialysis!) and he developed a 3cm blood clot in the jugular vein and he had a collapsed lung… 

All very stressful when I was here dealing with the end of my Dad’s life. I had a few very early morning and late night calls to the RBWH.

As you say we are off topic! Sorry. 

Last off topic comment. 
So sorry for your loss. 💔

17 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Yes.  We bought a house 2 months after arriving back and had to pay 2% as non residents.  I applied for the refund exactly 6 months after we got back and received the money with interest a couple of days later.

To get back on track!

It’s good to know you can get a refund on extra stamp duty. 

• Like 1