Healthcare Professionals: how are you getting on with your applications?

Cobs_Ahoy

Where is everyone at in the process? 

I’m a mental health nurse with 75 points, waiting (im)patiently for Queensland to reopen the nomination to offshore applicants so I can claim an extra 5 points.

it seems things are gearing up again with several states allowing offshore nomination, but Queensland is holding the line 😫😫

On 21/01/2022 at 07:46, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Where is everyone at in the process? 

I’m a mental health nurse with 75 points, waiting (im)patiently for Queensland to reopen the nomination to offshore applicants so I can claim an extra 5 points.

it seems things are gearing up again with several states allowing offshore nomination, but Queensland is holding the line 😫😫

OT here...lodged 22nd sept 2021 for 190 Tasmania and had CO contact 5th Jan. 

Good luck!😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Ahhhhh that’s exciting! Have you got a move date that you are aiming for, or will you just go as soon as the visa is granted?

I have to apply for ahpra after my visa comes back (we do the process back to front in comparison to MH nurses). So I am hoping for my visa back in the next few weeks then I have allowed 3 months for ahpra to come back and aiming for June. Who knows if it will actually time like that (probably not 🤣)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m a social worker from the UK. I’ve applied for NSW 491 with 75 points. I was originally looking at WA before they closed. I have a 190 for NSW as well but not holding out much luck as I’ve only got 65 for that! 

sent my EOI for WA in May 2021. Not heard anything yet. And just recently lodged with NSW when they opened. No heard anything from them either. 🙂

Edited by Elaine N

4 hours ago, armada said:

Midwife onshore on a TSS, lodged ROI for Victoria in November 2021, not yet been invited. Was told to expect response in 2-8 weeks.....but it's been 3 months! And nothing 😞 

Oh that’s frustrating, jealous that you’re already over there though! 

1 hour ago, Elaine N said:

Hi, I’m a social worker from the UK. I’ve applied for NSW 491 with 75 points. I was originally looking at WA before they closed. I have a 190 for NSW as well but not holding out much luck as I’ve only got 65 for that! 

sent my EOI for WA in May 2021. Not heard anything yet. And just recently lodged with NSW when they opened. No heard anything from them either. 🙂

Good luck! I’ve submitted an EOI for NSW too, I would prefer Queensland but am starting to give up hope that they will ever reopen state nomination to offshore candidates 😞 

I also submitted a hopeless 189 EoI (75points), but can’t see that going anywhere! 

• Thanks 1

I’m hoping to get another 10 points for my English test. I only managed to get 10 the last time I took the IELTS,  missed an 8 in writing by half a point! Going to try the PTE this time. Hopefully will get the full 20 this time round! Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on with their grants. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Elaine N said:

I’m hoping to get another 10 points for my English test. I only managed to get 10 the last time I took the IELTS,  missed an 8 in writing by half a point! Going to try the PTE this time. Hopefully will get the full 20 this time round! Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on with their grants. 🙂

How annoying to miss out by such a small amount! I did PTE after reading a really long thread on here about which English test to do, IELTS sounded way more erratic in terms of marking. PTE wasn't too bad, I did a mock test about a week beforehand to see which areas I was weakest in, then watched a couple of free youtube videos related to that area (essay writing), then I purchased one of the PTE 'question banks' and just ran through them for a couple of evening before the exam. Got 90 in each area so the strategy worked for me. When is your PTE exam?

Amazing! Well done! There is one coming up on the 10th February. I’ve purchased the PTE mock test and  I’ll definitely have a look at the ‘question bank’. The IELTS totally rocked my confidence but the PTE definitely doesn’t seem as bad! Thanks very much. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I keep an eye on the ISCAH facebook page as they often post updates about invitation rounds, from memory the latest 189 round had a lowest score of 90 for mental health nurses, so not holding out much hope for my 75 point EoI! And unfortunately Queensland has said they aren't opening up for offshore nominations this financial year, so I won't be able to get a 190 in there until July at the earliest. 

So I'm looking out for jobs and planning on contacting employers directly to see if they will offer 186 sponsorship, also considering whether its worth putting an EoI in for 491, but slightly apprehensive about that as I'll be coming over with a family so really want PR. My points go up on 4th August as will have 8 years experience at that point, so hoping that the stars will align for me then - QLD reopening for offshore applicants and I'll have 85 points for a 190, fingers crossed that's enough!

The more points the better! 

I am sitting at 85 for my 491, and 75 for my 190!

we are the same. A PR visa would be my preference as we are moving with two young kids. But as long as you meet all the requirements for the 491 you can apply for PR after three years. I think mainly they look to see if you have consistently earned the minimum expected (I think it’s around $54,000). 

to be honest I would take any visa in any region! 😁

job luck with contacting employers. I would love to hear how u get on. It’s not an option I had thought about? 

Yeah, I hadnt realised about the 491 PR after 3 years until recently, I know in some states you have to pay for public schooling if you are a temp visa, but not sure if there are other financial differences.

how old are your kids? Mine are 2 and 6, we haven’t told them yet as want to wait until we can give them some concrete info, such as move dates etc. 

thats good that it wont be a total shock to them, I feel like I’m going to drop a bomb on my entire family when we get to the stage of telling people. My sister lives in Melbourne so at least someone will be pleased about us moving there! 

Fingers crossed things move a bit faster for you now you’ve increased your points, keep me posted on how things progress, it’s helpful hearing how others HCPs are getting on with it all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Searchingforsun said:

Just popping back on for anyone reading this in the future to say 190 pr visa granted today...lodged 22nd Sept 2021. Best of luck everyone  👍 

That's great news! Was wondering about your case the other day as I saw that Tasmania put out a statement about only having a minimal allocation left, glad you made it through without having to wait until the next financial year!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Bluey128 said:

We have put an EOI in for SA and QLD in Oct/Nov 2021. 95 for 491 and I think 80 for the 190. Offshore. Partner main applicant - nurse. 

It's normally not recommended to put an EOI in for two states at once.  It's telling them you're not really committed to stay in their state so they're more likely to ignore you.

It might not be a problem if they're desperate for nurses.  Fingers crossed.