Healthcare Professionals: how are you getting on with your applications?

Cobs_Ahoy

9 hours ago, Bluey128 said:

We have put an EOI in for SA and QLD in Oct/Nov 2021. 95 for 491 and I think 80 for the 190. Offshore. Partner main applicant - nurse. 

I didn’t think QLD was open to offshore nominations at the minute? From what I understand they will only look at EoIs that are submitted during a specific window, and on their website it says closed to offshore applicants (and if you read the ‘news’ section of their website it says unlikely to open before the new financial year 😫😫)

1 hour ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

I didn’t think QLD was open to offshore nominations at the minute? From what I understand they will only look at EoIs that are submitted during a specific window, and on their website it says closed to offshore applicants (and if you read the ‘news’ section of their website it says unlikely to open before the new financial year 😫😫)

@Cobs_Ahoy oh I know yeah; our agent said there's no harm just sticking one in. People do get invites so worth a shot, doing lose anything by putting it in

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's normally not recommended to put an EOI in for two states at once.  It's telling them you're not really committed to stay in their state so they're more likely to ignore you.

It might not be a problem if they're desperate for nurses.  Fingers crossed.

@Marisawright yeah, aware of this. We made two seperate accounts and did the EOI's for each state from seperate ones. We decided it was worth the risk rather than potentially waiting longer by just putting EOI's in for one state only.

10 minutes ago, Bluey128 said:

@Cobs_Ahoy oh I know yeah; our agent said there's no harm just sticking one in. People do get invites so worth a shot, doing lose anything by putting it in

Oh really? That’s interesting! If/when the window reopens will you do another EoI just in case, or does your agent think they will look at EoIs submitted outside of the window?

im looking into sponsorship opportunities too, through recruitment agencies and contacting hospitals directly. So far I’ve had positive responses from Townsville Hospital and Health service (direct contact) and NSW Health (via a recruitment agent), still waiting to hear back on some details but this is feeling like a more likely route than independent visas for me. What speciality is your partner?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Oh really? That’s interesting! If/when the window reopens will you do another EoI just in case, or does your agent think they will look at EoIs submitted outside of the window?

im looking into sponsorship opportunities too, through recruitment agencies and contacting hospitals directly. So far I’ve had positive responses from Townsville Hospital and Health service (direct contact) and NSW Health (via a recruitment agent), still waiting to hear back on some details but this is feeling like a more likely route than independent visas for me. What speciality is your partner?

I don't know of any window? There's nothing on their website that mentions this is there? I don't think we'll put another one in no, my understanding is that it will still be valid even though it was submitted whilst closed to offshore. (Does anyone one of anything to contrary written anywhere??)

I think sponsorship is great to look in to at the moment, it's just having the time to trawl through jobs isn't it, that's what we struggle with. We also are not really sure where we're supposed to be looking, apart from seek.

He's a cardiac ACP at the mo. What about yourself? 

@Bluey128 I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that they would only look at EoIs submitted during the ‘window’  of time they were open to new applications, but if you’ve got an agent then they would hopefully know. I think the problem is the rules vary between states and change regularly, hard to keep on top of it (which I suppose is the value in using an agent!). 

Yeah the job searching is time consuming. RCN international jobs is a good one, there isn’t loads on there but the listing are generally for Australian positions and targeted at UK nurses. I haven’t had much luck with seek as lots of the posts are for those with Australian work rights. I have found contacting hospitals directly has been helpful, for example I look at specific job adverts on the Queensland health job search site (where you can also find email addresses for the recruitment departments in each area to see if they are offering sponsorship generally).

im a mental health nurse, currently a clinical lead but from what I understand I will have to go in as an entry level ‘registered nurse’. Will your partner be looking for jobs as a Nurse Practitioner or will he have to start from scratch again? I’m actually quite looking forward to working as a Band 5 equivalent for a bit!

@Cobs_Ahoy oh ok, (window) I didn't realise!! 

We did have an agent (overseas emigration) but they were abysmal so we cut loose from them after EOI's had long been in. They withdrew our EOI's at that point hence us resubmitted them again in oct/nov 2021. We've spoken with the DUC and will instruct them once we have an invite. Maybe I should get in touch with them once QLD reopen for offshore and ask their advice on whether we should resubmit a fresh EOI again.

Thank you for the tips with where to look for jobs, that's really helpful 😀

Tbh we're not really sure how it's all going to work with him working at the level he is at now. He wants to work speak to aphra about getting 'practitioner ready certified'. I think he's accepted that he may have to potentially work at a lower band equivalent for a while but I think he'll also try and go for jobs that are at practitioner/consultant level also. It's all very confusing if you ask me haha.

Do they have better working conditions for MH nurses in Oz?

The adult ward nurses here are working in horrendous conditions but I know over there they have it wayyy easier with better staffing ratios and lesser workloads. I still wouldn't want to go back to ward nursing myself though lol.

Are you just after QLD? 

Are you a nurse too then @Bluey128 ? I’d rather avoid the wards too if possible, all my experience has been in the community so I’m hoping for something similar even if it is at a lower band. But yes, I think the ratios and general work culture are better for mental health nurses on the wards too. 

I would prefer QLD, for a few reasons, but also happy with north NSW, only problem with NSW is you have to pay for school fees if on a temporary visa, and I’ll be moving over with two children so would need PR or 491. Have put a 491 RoI into NSW northern rivers district and also have a recruitment agent trying to convince NSW Health to offer 186 rather than 482 for a post in the Northern Beaches area. 

Townsville Hospital have also said they will sponsor, even though it’s only 482 the school fees are waived in QLD even for temporary visas, plus the health service are offering a decent relocation package so that offsets the ‘gamble’ element of it. And they have community posts available so that’s a big incentive! The heat is slightly worrying in far North Queensland though.....

your migration agent experience sounds appalling, why did they withdraw the EoI?!? All that wasted time in the queue!

@Cobs_Ahoy yeah I'm a CNS but partner has many moreyears experience than me hence him being main applicant. 

Yes the agent was an absolute nightmare. They didn't tell us they were going to withdraw our EOI, nor did they tell us when they had. I found out be accident!! And yes when we resubmitted we effectively joined the que again! 

That's brilliant that the recruitment agent is trying to get you a better deal! Fingers crossed on that! That's another thing that I find confusing - all the diff visas options there are via being employer sponsored. And omg a relocation package! - that's amazing! Sounds like you've got quite a few things in the pipeline - how exciting 😀

Well I’ve woken up to good news today! An email from NSW with the pre-invite for a  Northern Rivers Area 491. And an email from the recruitment agent telling me he has a meeting with NSW health on Monday about offering 186 (instead of 482) to applicants with school age children 🥳🥳🥳  

@Bluey128 yes I thought relocation packages were a thing of the past, but think in areas where they are expanding/understaffed they still occur from time to time. Townsville were great to be honest, really helpful and put me in touch with a MH nurse who had moved from NHS a few years ago, sent me details of the relocation package So I knew exactly what was on offer, were really good at answering questions. I would totally have gone with them if not for the recent development re PR. 

Hi @Elaine N how are you getting on?

The 186 is permanent residency, but it’s employer sponsored based on you remaining with them for 2 years. So once the two years is up I can go anywhere, but the positive is it’s PR from the get go. And actually, technically I can live anywhere, so in theory if I had a job in tweed heads (NSW) I could live in Gold Coast (QLD).

although 491 isn’t employer dependent, I do have to live and and work in the region that’s sponsored me, so in that respect it’s still limited and who knows what could happen in the three years between getting the 491 and transitioning to the 191PR visa. So I think I’d rather have 186.

Oh that’s fantastic news @elaine n 🥳🥳 when were you invited? 22 months though 😱😱 but yes, it feels like at least there is some progress.

where in NSW are you looking to move to? I’m hoping that if this job works out then we will be based somewhere around Lismore/Byron/Tweed.

We got all our paper work submitted at the end of last month. No medicals or police checks yet because of the long waiting times for processing. We selected Hunters Region in NSW. Was it Queensland you were originally looking at?  What is the waiting time for your visa type. Are they all the same? 😊

Oh I didn’t think you had to give a region with 190 nomination? How exciting to have submitted all the paperwork! Hunter region looks lovely.

yes I was originally wanting to go to the Sunshine Coast but Queensland said they wouldn’t open to offshore candidates before July, and I just though who knows what rules they will put in place when they do reopen?!?! I looked into sponsorship opportunities around the Sunshine Coast but they were so few and far between it was a bit of a non starter really.

At least in the Northern Rivers area it’s not too far from the Sunshine Coast so we can have a couple of trips up there to see if we fancy moving in a couple of years, but Northern Rivers looks amazing too, probably a bit out of my price range though for when we are ready to buy!

Neither did I. Luckily though, when my agent suggested NSW 190 I had started looking at different areas to get an idea of what NSW was like, as out with WA (the original plan) I hadn’t considered anywhere else in Oz. But Hunters looks perfect! 

• Like 1

Thanks @Bluey128 🙂  feels such a relief to have some movement. I started gathering documents for my skills assessment last June, so its taken a while to get to this point, and god knows how long it will take to actually get the grant! Fingers crossed for you and your partner, hope you get some positive news soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to give some hope to you if offshore.

We decided to start the visa process January 2021, we gathered documents etc and I passed the IELTs. 

We finally submitted our EOI October 2021 and we received an ITA for a 491 family sponsored visa last Thursday.

I am a registered children's nurse and we had 75 points.

• Congratulations 1

11 minutes ago, BoldyC said:

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to give some hope to you if offshore.

We decided to start the visa process January 2021, we gathered documents etc and I passed the IELTs. 

We finally submitted our EOI October 2021 and we received an ITA for a 491 family sponsored visa last Thursday.

I am a registered children's nurse and we had 75 points.

Great to hear, congratulations on getting your invite! I’m currently battling UK passport office as all our passports are with them, but we need them for the visa application 😫😫 I received my ITA the day after I sent my passports off, and now passport waiting times are an average of 10 weeks! 

5 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Great to hear, congratulations on getting your invite! I’m currently battling UK passport office as all our passports are with them, but we need them for the visa application 😫😫 I received my ITA the day after I sent my passports off, and now passport waiting times are an average of 10 weeks! 

Thank you! 

I didn't expect to be invited as soon as we were. 

Our children's are also with the passport  office 🙈 we got an email yesterday to say they were being printed. So hopefully we should have them back in a few weeks. 

I have just realised that my skills assessment has got 1 of my jobs as the anzsco for Nec. It was working on the oncology ward at alder hey which is a children's hospital in Liverpool. Do you think this will flag up an issue even though the skills assessment has been passed for my paediatric nursing anzsco? I am really hoping not! 

I didn't expect the invite that quick either @BoldyC I had a very stressful call with the Passport Office yesterday, not a good time to be wanting a quick turnaround!

I'm not sure about your codes, I'm sure I read that if they are closely related (which you can tell by so many digits at the start being the same) its ok, but I'd look into it if I were you. Sounds like you have had some very intense jobs though, I hope you get some good supervision to debrief!

I did read that the processing times for passports were crazy, but we didn't pay any extra for ours and they have been processed quickly. So hopefully yours will come through soon enough.

Thanks for the reply. I actually think your right and that I'll be OK, but I'm terrified of messing up at this stage! 

Ha ha, I have done quite a few different roles- NICU, general peads, oncology and most recently school health/covid imms. What specialty are you? 

Do you have any children? 

Edited by BoldyC
Information added