Mosquitoes

MacGyver

Does anyone have any advice, hints or tips on preventing mosquito bites?

I bug bomb the house, use barrier spray, make sure there’s no standing water, have fly screens, use picaridin based repellent if out at dawn, dusk or dark etc etc.

This normally works well for me, but for some reason I’m getting absolutely devoured this year and not sure what I can do differently. I’m not even sure ‘when’ I’m getting bitten given the above.

Really keen to hear anyones wisdom on this as unsure what else I can do, or why my routine of several years isn’t working this year and I don’t want to end up with Ross river virus!

Edited by MacGyver
Typo

Mosquitos are drawn to the carbon di-oxide you expel when breathing out. So, don't breathe...Failing that, DEET based repellants are the best. I use 'Bushman' that is probably the best, but a bit more expensive than 'aveagoodweekend' and most, if not all, sporting/fishing shops sell it.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bobj said:

Mosquitos are drawn to the carbon di-oxide you expel when breathing out. So, don't breathe...Failing that, DEET based repellants are the best. I use 'Bushman' that is probably the best, but a bit more expensive than 'aveagoodweekend' and most, if not all, sporting/fishing shops sell it.

Cheers, Bobj.

Most here won’t know ‘aveagoodweekend’ 

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I don't remember being bitten by mozzies in Perth at all.  Do remember how bad they were in the Bunbury/Busselton area though.  They were a real pain there.

I get bitten to bits here, even through the day sometimes! I find it particularly bad early evening where we live now, I'm trying something called 'The Locals Sandfly and Mozzie Stuff' which has very good reviews.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Does anyone have any advice, hints or tips on preventing mosquito bites?

Hello

B Vitamins

Some people say it doesn't work........ But I am living proof that it does.

Need to take the upmost RDA for a few months to build up levels, but once it starts working, it stops them biting you.

I use to be magnet for bites mozzie and sandfly bites when traveling, until a naturopath suggested the B's, then thereafter I never got bitten ever again

Traveled India, Asia, East Coast and Northern Oz, just with B protection and never got bitten

B1 or B6 (think its B6 that is the best choice from memory) - ask a naturopath to be sure.

I don't use sprays, or coils, or oils, or repellents. But do have flywires on all doors and windows.

As a side note, was reading the other day, that mozzies are attracted to people with smelly feet - which I have an issue with

• Like 1