What visa is required to work in Australia over 30?

Nbarkermusic

Hi, I have been offered a working opportunity in Australia, Sydney to be exact, however I'm now 32 and apparently too "old" for a working visa, my wife and I are really interested in making the switch, she has a teaching degree and level 5 health and social care, currently managing a children's hoke in the UK, it appears I may have to (if possible) go out there before her but I'm not exactly sure what steps I need to take. In terms of specific qualifications I have, I have quite a few but none that relate to the job offer that has been laid out to me.

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

10 minutes ago, Nbarkermusic said:

Hi, I have been offered a working opportunity in Australia, Sydney to be exact, however I'm now 32 and apparently too "old" for a working visa, my wife and I are really interested in making the switch, she has a teaching degree and level 5 health and social care, currently managing a children's hoke in the UK, it appears I may have to (if possible) go out there before her but I'm not exactly sure what steps I need to take. In terms of specific qualifications I have, I have quite a few but none that relate to the job offer that has been laid out to me.

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

I suggest you get some professional advice, you’re unlikely to get all the answers you need on a forum. 

20 minutes ago, talktosi said:

45 years is the usual cut off for work visa. Look on the Australian Immigration website - it has all the details about all possible visas - a much better source of info than this forum or the person who told you you were too old !

30 is too old for the Working Holiday Visa, which is pretty much a doddle to get, and is a way many of that age group use to get over and then assess if they apply for a more substantive visa

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nbarkermusic said:

Hi, I have been offered a working opportunity in Australia, Sydney to be exact, however I'm now 32 and apparently too "old" for a working visa,

You are too old for a Working Holiday Visa.   You are not too old for a working visa and there are several options.

The best option would be to get a skilled visa (189,190 or 491)  in your own right, but that takes at least a year to get, so it's unlikely any employer will be willing to wait that long.

Your other option is an employer-sponsored visa, either a temporary contract of 2 to 4 years (a 482 visa) or a permanent one (a 186DE) where you have to work for your sponsoring employer for 2 years, but then you're free to stay in Australia for life.

Obviously, since they're employer-sponsored visas, it's up to the employer to kick off the process and do most of the work of getting the visa for you.  So you need to approach the employer and see if they're willing to go to that expense and trouble.  Many aren't.

One possible snag is that employers can't employ just anyone, your occupation must be on a short list of approved skills and there are lots of hoops to jump through.  You also need to be aware, if they offer a 482, that it is just temporary.  It is possible to apply for a permanent visa once you get near the end of your contract, but it's only a possibility and a lot of people don't succeed, so you need to view it as an adventure for a few years and you're going home at the end.

As Paul said, it's a complicated business and a one-off consultation with him is the best bet.  If you want to get a comparative quote, try Go Matilda

Edited by Marisawright