Secondary School Teacher 190

Emily91

Hi, 

I apologies if this question has already been answered.  

I am a Canadian secondary history teacher, I have received my aitsl certification that I can teach in Australia. 

English: about to write the exam. 

Years of experience: less than 3

Total point 75 with nomination 80. 

How likely am I to get the 190 invitation? 

Thanks in advance! 

My advice would be IELTS is hard and heavily skewed to Queens UK English, so be careful not to lapse into Canadian English. Use strong grammar constructs and show use of many different language constructs.

If you were not a teacher (and therefore I think bound to use IELTS) I would suggest you look at PTE (it is so much easier)

For clarity I have a master's in English (from a UK Uni and lived in UK most of my life - including all schooling). I still missed out on full marks on IELTS (probably due to complacency). However I was much more qualified in the English Language than any one of my examiners, but still didn't get the high score based in their inflexible scoring rules

11 hours ago, Emily91 said:

Hi, 

I apologies if this question has already been answered.  

I am a Canadian secondary history teacher, I have received my aitsl certification that I can teach in Australia. 

English: about to write the exam. 

Years of experience: less than 3

Total point 75 with nomination 80. 

How likely am I to get the 190 invitation? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi, my limited understanding is that points are less important for a 190, rather they like you to meet all their other requirements, so depending upon the individual state requirements you have as good a chance as anyone. 🤷🏻‍♀️Sorry I never had to do an English test so no clue on that.

Others with recent, relevant experience of the 190 will be along I’m sure. Good luck and merry Christmas!

12 hours ago, Emily91 said:

As Amber says, points are less important for the 190.  States look at what their needs are and choose candidates who can meet that need.

Australia certainly needs secondary school teachers.  My question would be, is there a shortage of history teachers?   Would the fact that Canadian history would be very different from the history taught in Australia, be seen as an issue?  I can't answer those questions but I'd say that's what you need to research.

15 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

My advice would be IELTS is hard and heavily skewed to Queens UK English, so be careful not to lapse into Canadian English. Use strong grammar constructs and show use of many different language constructs.

If you were not a teacher (and therefore I think bound to use IELTS) I would suggest you look at PTE (it is so much easier)

For clarity I have a master's in English (from a UK Uni and lived in UK most of my life - including all schooling). I still missed out on full marks on IELTS (probably due to complacency). However I was much more qualified in the English Language than any one of my examiners, but still didn't get the high score based in their inflexible scoring rules

Thank you for responding. I completely see where you're coming from. I was hoping that when I was practicing and essentially getting the right answer that what the machine wasn't picking up on what the examiner would. For example, I wrote "paved quadrangle area" and got the answer wrong because the answer is "quadrangle area". So the examiner will mark it incorrect too? 

I find it hard to believe that a non-native English speaker from a non-English university could get superior on the ielts English exam without having memorized how to just pass the test, which then defeats the purpose of proving your English skills. All of which begs the question why write the exam at all if you're from an English-speaking country with two degrees?  Anyways, I'll be studying over the holidays... wish me up! If flunk I'll check out Pearson as I've already paid for the ielts exam. 

10 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Hi, my limited understanding is that points are less important for a 190, rather they like you to meet all their other requirements, so depending upon the individual state requirements you have as good a chance as anyone. 🤷🏻‍♀️Sorry I never had to do an English test so no clue on that.

Others with recent, relevant experience of the 190 will be along I’m sure. Good luck and merry Christmas!

Thank you for responding, this information provides me with a little hope. Merry Christmas to you too :) 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

As Amber says, points are less important for the 190.  States look at what their needs are and choose candidates who can meet that need.

Australia certainly needs secondary school teachers.  My question would be, is there a shortage of history teachers?   Would the fact that Canadian history would be very different from the history taught in Australia, be seen as an issue?  I can't answer those questions but I'd say that's what you need to research.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll check that out. Do you by chance know where Australia posts their education jobs? Thanks in advance. 

13 hours ago, Emily91 said:

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll check that out. Do you by chance know where Australia posts their education jobs? Thanks in advance. 

Australia doesn't post their education jobs. Each state posts their own for government schools and there's usually a state website. Private schools use sites like Seek. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Australia doesn't post their education jobs. Each state posts their own for government schools and there's usually a state website. Private schools use sites like Seek. 

On 25/12/2021 at 08:36, Marisawright said:

We have been waiting just over 23 months for our 190 grant.

Nothing we have been able to do has managed to push it through during that time. So be prepared for lengthy wait times, that’s the best advice I have. 

I think NSW now ask for 3 years work experience for state nomination. Queensland is currently closed to offshore applicants but is due to be reviewed at the end of the year - I know as I tragically check their migration website every morning waiting for it to reopen 😫😫😫

Just to weight in to the English exam discussion -  I did Peterson with very little revision and scored full marks in each domain. Beforehand, I sat one mock exam to get a sense of my scores and familiarise myself with the format, then bought a ‘bank of questions’ and spent a couple of evenings practicing my weaker areas. Fingers crossed IELTS goes ok for you though, some people seem to find it easier. 

12 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

We have been waiting just over 23 months for our 190 grant.

Nothing we have been able to do has managed to push it through during that time. So be prepared for lengthy wait times, that’s the best advice I have. 

Oh man, that sucks. Thats so frustrating! Do you mind me asking what states you're applying to and what subjects you teach? Fingers crossed for you both! 

6 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

I think NSW now ask for 3 years work experience for state nomination. Queensland is currently closed to offshore applicants but is due to be reviewed at the end of the year - I know as I tragically check their migration website every morning waiting for it to reopen 😫😫😫

Just to weight in to the English exam discussion -  I did Peterson with very little revision and scored full marks in each domain. Beforehand, I sat one mock exam to get a sense of my scores and familiarise myself with the format, then bought a ‘bank of questions’ and spent a couple of evenings practicing my weaker areas. Fingers crossed IELTS goes ok for you though, some people seem to find it easier. 

Thanks, thats really helpful. I hope that Queensland is looking for history teachers. 

I've never heard of Peterson, its not listed on the government website? 

9 hours ago, Emily91 said:

Thanks, thats really helpful. I hope that Queensland is looking for history teachers. 

What else do you teach? History is usually part of the HASS curriculum (humanities and social sciences). Very rarely would you get single subject history and even then it will be focused on Australian history and Australia's place in the world. Most secondary teachers have more than one string to their bow. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Emily91 said:

Oh man, that sucks. Thats so frustrating! Do you mind me asking what states you're applying to and what subjects you teach? Fingers crossed for you both! 

We are waiting for a grant for Queensland. It’s been 2 years since we received nomination and applied, the wife is a technology teacher. 

27 minutes ago, 31Hillbury said:

We are waiting for a grant for Queensland. It’s been 2 years since we received nomination and applied, the wife is a technology teacher. 

It should be pointed out that the long wait time is because all but priority occupations have been on hold due to Covid so it’s not a guide to what future waiting times might be

I think most are aware that covid has been the default reason for most things. In "normal" times, you could expect to wait up to a year for your grant. So coupled with the vast amount of unprocessed visas not a lot will change, unless all those already waiting are actually already processed but not yet granted (leg work already done). If they still have to go through the whole process 2 years will be the new default unless they clear down the huge backlog before inviting new.

17 hours ago, Emily91 said:

Just to point out some states require you to already be registered to teach in that state before you submit your eoi, so could end up with multiple registrations in case that state starts to invite. IELTS (Academic) can also be a prerequisite for state nomination for teaching as it really does separate english speakers from the rest. If IELTS was the only acceptable test there would be next to no students progressing to PR. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It should be pointed out that the long wait time is because all but priority occupations have been on hold due to Covid so it’s not a guide to what future waiting times might be

What happens now for us that have been waiting for 2 years? Does that not inevitably have an effect of the whole system? 
At some point we have to be granted and priority occupations will no longer be priority??

On 27/12/2021 at 10:49, Southlander said:

Just to point out some states require you to already be registered to teach in that state before you submit your eoi, so could end up with multiple registrations in case that state starts to invite. IELTS (Academic) can also be a prerequisite for state nomination for teaching as it really does separate english speakers from the rest. If IELTS was the only acceptable test there would be next to no students progressing to PR. 

Oh man! Does anyone know if as a Secondary Teacher I have to write the IELTS Academic? Or where I can find this information? I'm searching state websites now but would appreciate it if anyone knew the answer! Thanks in advance!! 

On 27/12/2021 at 05:34, 31Hillbury said:

I am sorry that you've been waiting so long! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both. Do you know if your wife had to write a particular English exam because she is a teacher? I know the UK, Canada, NZ and a few others get a bypass for the aitsl in that we don't have to prove our English skills to aitsl. But when it comes to the English component for the 190 visa and scoring points do we have to write the ielts exam??