Relocation allowances

Cath.C

If people don't mind the question, does anyone know, or have personal experience with, what a typical relocation allowance from a larger Australian company is for people with sponsored Visas?  I know we'll find out soon enough what we are being offered, but I'm browsing shipping expenses at the moment, and impatient.

Thanks

It just comes down to seniority (more senior staff will get more) and what you can negotiate.  Once upon a time, companies would pay for your air fares and shipping, plus a few weeks in a hotel or executive rental when you arrive.  That's getting less and less common.

These days, you may even find there's nothing on offer.  This is why we warn people against a 482 visa, because it's such a huge cost to move a family to Australia and back again at the end of the contract.  If you have a family, make sure you get a 186, OR make sure you negotiate a good deal for the move there AND back.

Edited by Marisawright

Consider education expenses if you have kids.  Some states charge for the privilege of being a temporary resident in their schools. NSW for example is around $6k pa per child.  ACT can (and it is convoluted) be up to $12k pa depending on age of child. Will education also be included in your package - and also watch out for the superannuation, is it included in your package or added on, that can make a big difference too.

If you are only coming temporarily, you may not want to bring all that much anyway and can get away with a lot less than if you were coming permanently - things like Move Cubes were great for us with only a moderate amount to bring.

• Like 1

It's an 858 Visa, so length just depends on how much we like it there, or rather, how much my wife likes her job, since that is rather her priority.  I like the northern Atlantic weather myself, so I think western Australia will be a challenge.   Export allowance will be beyond negotiation probably.  

We used to offer a flat rate $10k for senior professional staff; and that was expense reimbursement, not handing over the cash .  It's been a few years since we took on anyone international so I don't know what the current go is - we allow $2k for interstate relocation though. 

Edited by Eera

The company I used to work for offered this for most employees:

• Economy one-way flight for all family (booked by the company within 2 days of your preferred travel date to limit costs)
  • 2 weeks in a cheap serviced apartment while you found your own accomodation
  • $10k in relocation expenses - claimed back - so either excess baggage, shipping receipt or knew furntiure bought in AUS - but as soemone else said it was claimed back not cash handed over

For more senior hires, think department heads and above it was more generous

• Business class flights on day/flight you wanted
  • One return Economy flight in the first year for family to visit home country (in fact it could be anywhere so a cheap holiday in year one)
  • 2 months in serviced accomodation
  • $25k in relocation expenses (rules as above)
  • $15k "hello" bonus paid with first salary

All these (except the airfare) where repayable if you left within the first 9 months, and in the case of the relocation expenses these were repayable for 18 months. Unless it was the company telling you to leave. 

Ok, thanks, so 10k Australian doesn't buy a whole lotta pounds or euros, but it's something.  I doubt it will be 25K, but hopefully enough for a cargo container and a couple of flights. 

18 months repayable seems really short, I'm used to 3 or 5  years commitment or relocation expenses must be paid back.  

• 1 month later...

When we moved a couple of years ago (mid level position in large City firm), it was one way economy flight for the family, two weeks' serviced apartment accommodation on arrival, packing + freight + storage + unpacking (can't remember the exact volume of freight, but it was more than enough to move clothes and immediate living needs by air and the rest of a family home by sea), plus $5,000 allowance for other expenses. We used the cash to 'top-up' the flight to business class and extend the accommodation a little.

They offered a different package for people with no kids, with less freight but more allowance. Maybe half the freight volume but $10,000 in allowance?