Is Sale,VIC a good place to live

joshbay84

My missus has a job offer near Sale, VIC - so wondering what it would be like to move over there from Melbourne. We live in the city with 2 kids, 1 at primary and other two year old - so we thought might be a good chance to explore the country. 

• Is it recommended to live in Sale or to a nearby town
  • How are the schools - eg. Is St Thomas Primary School good
  • We are very keen on bike, so are there good bike trails nearby
  • How is the parking and traffic in general

Thanks

16 hours ago, Bulya said:

Used to be a fair sized RAAF base.  Not sure if it is these days 

I think it's still there, I worked there a few years ago and stayed in Sale. Typical small Aussie town, zero traffic problems, found it a bit boring but was away with a few workmates who like things a bit more lively.

I would think there's some good bike trails around there if that's what you enjoy. Locals were friendly, like most country places. Lot easier to get into a conversation than in a City.

• Like 2

It's Gippy. Fair bit of Crystal meth about down that way apparently. Sale is small enough you probably don't  want to go much smaller.  Schools are much of a muchness wherever you go and they reflect the neighbourhood so if you wouldn't want to live in the neighbourhood you'd  probably want to give the local school a miss. 

Lots of bike trails in Gippy, often along  old rail corridors 

Watch out for Bushfire zones and flood zones

The hospital is OK - my son and his family had to go there for something, can't remember if it was the paediatric ICU or the orthopaedic surgery (the other one was Bairnsdale) but it was quite good for whatever they needed it for. 

I have a feeling that Sale had a yarn shop which is always a plus in my book.

Go and have a look, it's only a few hours from Melbourne 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

It's Gippy. Fair bit of Crystal meth about down that way apparently. Sale is small enough you probably don't  want to go much smaller.  Schools are much of a muchness wherever you go and they reflect the neighbourhood so if you wouldn't want to live in the neighbourhood you'd  probably want to give the local school a miss. 

Lots of bike trails in Gippy, often along  old rail corridors 

Watch out for Bushfire zones and flood zones

The hospital is OK - my son and his family had to go there for something, can't remember if it was the paediatric ICU or the orthopaedic surgery (the other one was Bairnsdale) but it was quite good for whatever they needed it for. 

I have a feeling that Sale had a yarn shop which is always a plus in my book.

Go and have a look, it's only a few hours from Melbourne 

Sadly meth is everywhere (litierly) and expect Sale is no exception. (akin to small l town WA, let alone the city  ) I always look for things like the cycle options available and safety. Hospital reputation important and though never done it, a yarn shop woould indeed be a positive thing. 

Other things would be rent availbility. Of course price and options to wine and dine in at least one in a desirable environment. 

On 20/12/2021 at 06:18, joshbay84 said:

My missus has a job offer near Sale, VIC - so wondering what it would be like to move over there from Melbourne. We live in the city with 2 kids, 1 at primary and other two year old - so we thought might be a good chance to explore the country. 

• Is it recommended to live in Sale or to a nearby town
  • How are the schools - eg. Is St Thomas Primary School good
  • We are very keen on bike, so are there good bike trails nearby
  • How is the parking and traffic in general

Thanks

I stayed in Sale with friends back in December 2019 with my wife and 4 young children and we loved it. Bike trails all around and the roads were quiet enough that you weren't concerned about crossing the roads etc. We found everyone super friendly and always striking conversations with us in public. Supermarkets were nearby and in general we found it a great place and quite pretty with all the greenery and ponds etc. It has a few play parks and we also went to the skatepark which was quite impressive. We travelled every other day to neighbouring towns and found a wide variety of things to do including watching the stock car racing at the racing track. Lakes entrance is quite close too for a day trip as is 90 mile beach which is just beautiful.

• Like 2