Hi there, any teachers that have relocated to Australia (Adelaide to be specific)? What was the process for registering with the relevant teaching board? I’ve been reading and apparently all supporting documents need to be certified copies but I’m unsure where would be best to have them certified…

• 4 months later...

I was in the UK and booked an appointment at the Australian embassy in London. It meant my teaching registration came through before I was in the country and therefore able to work almost straight away as a relief teacher. Although I paid to get things signed, working after a week was a stress off my mind having a family including three children! At the time it had to be signed by a professional whom was an Australian citizen I believe, this was 7 years ago so may have changed and it was Western Australia...

• 8 months later...
On 15/03/2022 at 05:02, benj1980 said:

I was in the UK and booked an appointment at the Australian embassy in London. It meant my teaching registration came through before I was in the country and therefore able to work almost straight away as a relief teacher. Although I paid to get things signed, working after a week was a stress off my mind having a family including three children! At the time it had to be signed by a professional whom was an Australian citizen I believe, this was 7 years ago so may have changed and it was Western Australia...

Hi Ben,

I’ve pestered you on another thread about this - sorry!

I really need to be able to work as soon as we land too. We have 3 children also and no friends/family over there. 

Were you able to go to the Embassy because of the state? We’re heading to NSW (sponsored on a 190). Do you know where I’d find out more info about this? You’re the only person I’ve come across to mention this! 

Have considered going to Aus on my own to try and do as much of the registration as possible, but it would cost me about £4k just to do this, so if I could do the equivalent round the corner, that would be magic! 

I don't know how the process in NSW differs. But me going to the Embassy could have been for anywhere. I'd recommend looking at what the NSW Teaching board require in terms of registration. I'm reluctant to give advice on this as I haven't experienced it. All states will have different requirements. I needed documents signed by a professional who was also an Australian citizen, with some sort of professional registration in Australia. If you know someone coming to the UK on holiday who is say a teacher have a chat with them and in WA's case would have saved a trip to the embassy!

I had a great day, did some sightseeing so made the most of it 🙂