491, child at uni in uk, ? Effects for permanent residency

KangaKit

Hey, so my child wants to study in the UK as they are unable to get domestic fees on the 491 visa as yet. We have been in oz for 9 months. If he was to do this and come back during term holidays, would it have any effect when we apply for the 191 visa? I'm aware citizenship would take a bit longer. Thank you in advance 

4 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Will he be up for international fees in U.K. too? Not sure how they would view the 9 months out of the country, unless of course, it’s his gap year and he did A levels before leaving.  

Thats exactly what he did, so has his alevels counting this as a gap year

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KangaKit said:

Hey, so my child wants to study in the UK as they are unable to get domestic fees on the 491 visa as yet. We have been in oz for 9 months. If he was to do this and come back during term holidays, would it have any effect when we apply for the 191 visa? I'm aware citizenship would take a bit longer. Thank you in advance 

So you were in the UK? Granted a 491 visa, moved to Australia and now want to send your son back to the UK to study as you cannot get his education paid for in Australia?

39 minutes ago, Phil1712 said:

So you were in the UK? Granted a 491 visa, moved to Australia and now want to send your son back to the UK to study as you cannot get his education paid for in Australia?

Don't be aggressive, the education will still be paid for,  unfortunately we are not millionaires unlike you perhaps..must be nice...also its not like we've not paid into the UK system for years!

Not sure about the visa thing but have you done all the sums.

Also if his a level results are good he might still get a commonwealth place at uni here which is less than international fees.  Add the cost of travel, accommodation etc and it might not be so bad. It will depend on subject and uni here too. Also the system is more flexible so they can do less units per year or more and pay as they go.  My son did this so he could work and live independently whilst studying. 

37 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Also if his a level results are good he might still get a commonwealth place at uni here which is less than international fees.  Add the cost of travel, accommodation etc and it might not be so bad. It will depend on subject and uni here too. Also the system is more flexible so they can do less units per year or more and pay as they go.  My son did this so he could work and live independently whilst studying. 

Thank you,  thats really helpful 😊 

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I don't think the 491 classed as a Permanent Visa therefore the Commonwealth place is not available