UK passport renewal in Aus

DrDougster

Dumb question...

We have PR but haven't been out of the country on it yet and our passports expire March/April next year. What's the best plan for renewal? If I do an online renewal and get delivered to my parents in UK will the issue of a new passport while we're here in Aus impact on on our PR visa? Is this a reasonable thing for us to do or do we have to go to an embassy?

Edited by DrDougster

50 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Awesome, thank you. I guess I have no faith in Aus post but needs must...

You can't really avoid using Aus Post, because either the Passport Office has to send it to you, or your parents do (you'll need your UK passports to enter the UK when you visit).  

I have always felt nervous every time I've had to renew myself, but the Australia Post special services, like Express Post and Registered Post etc, are actually pretty reliable.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrDougster said:

Awesome, thank you. I guess I have no faith in Aus post but needs must...

And quite rightly so. I'd ordered from M&S online so was excited to receive an Aus post text saying it'd arrived after about 2 weeks, but when I returned home the package was for someone else who live a couple of streets away. I took his parcel around, so at least one of us was happy. My socks and grundies turned up about 10 days later 🙄

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 17:46, DrDougster said:

Dumb question...

We have PR but haven't been out of the country on it yet and our passports expire March/April next year. What's the best plan for renewal? If I do an online renewal and get delivered to my parents in UK will the issue of a new passport while we're here in Aus impact on on our PR visa? Is this a reasonable thing for us to do or do we have to go to an embassy?

There isn't an option to go to an embassy (or consulate or high commission or whatever) any more.  If you're the worrying type, like me, it's worth paying the extra for the quicker processing and tracked delivery.  We've done this a couple of times recently, for different family members, and it's been fine.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've literally just done this myself! You can apply online then send your passport to the UK.

It took 3 weeks to get to the UK, 3 weeks to process and about another 10 days to get back to Aus. The passport office ship it DHL so the return was quick at least.

Then update your PR on myimmi (you need a scan of the passport). It was pretty painless.