Things you'd miss about Australia if you went back to the UK.

North to South

Hi,

Following on from the popular thread on what you miss about the UK, I thought I'd turn it around and ask what you'd miss about Australia if you went back to the UK.  

I've only been here 5 months so I don't really have the history, but my initial things would be - And I live in Adelaide.

- Variety of fresh fruit and vegetables in supermarkets and produce stores.

- Whilst Adelaide has lot's of traffic, I'd miss it as I know what going back to the UK would be like, certainly in the SE where I lived before.

- The beautiful scenery and walks in the Adelaide Hills which is right on my doorstep.

- Abundance of great cafes and restaurants catering to every whim you might have.

- Pies!  Just love a good Australian pie.

I'm sure there's more, but over to fellow PIOers.

- lack of crowds most places

- high salary and wages in the Public Sector (not relevant when retired of course)

- being able to BBQ outdoors 9 months of the year

- vibrant quality of light and 'big' sky/horizon

- quality coffee

- family friendly places from restaurants to wineries to kids play parks.  When we went back to the UK we were struck by how run down and crowded a lot of the play areas were compared to Oz.

- larger houses (in the main)

I still think the UK would be a fantastic place to retire with a bit of cash behind you.  I also had a whale of a time in my 20s and early 30s living in a flat in a bustling city (Edinburgh).  With a young family, Oz wins hands down

• Like 1

The food. There is such a wide range of good food from many countries. 

I feel much safer than my home town. I had recent experience with the cops (work matter) and they couldn’t do enough. 

The internet is better here.  (Although the locals don’t agree). 

11 hours ago, JetBlast said:

The food. There is such a wide range of good food from many countries. 

I feel much safer than my home town. I had recent experience with the cops (work matter) and they couldn’t do enough. 

The internet is better here.  (Although the locals don’t agree). 

Have to say that my dealings with the Police here (work related) has been a much more positive experience than in the UK

I'd miss the wide roads both for driving and in my street.

Blue skies/weather

Our outdoor area - in summer we BBQ and in winter have a fire pit (and BBQ)

Public transport

Friendliness of people - went for a walk last weekend and every person we passed had a greeting

• 7 months later...