Things you miss about Oz?

Red Rose

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I think it’s very hard to compare the two.  I think most people would say some things are better in Australia and some things are better in the UK.  It can also depend on what area you live in.  A dump is a dump in either country.  Both countries have many positives and both can offer people the chance to live a wonderful life.  

When boiled down, all countries are just rock and dirt, it is what one does and how one manages in them that counts.

Off my soapbox now and off fishing.

Hooroo, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
  • Like 6

On 13/07/2022 at 16:02, Toots said:

I think I would have been living in London maybe 10 years before you did??  I do remember lots of really good places to eat at a cheapish prices.  One of them was called The Hotpot.  I remember going there at least once a week with OH.  There were a couple of them round about the Cromwell Road area.

I don't recall Australian Outlook at all but I do remember going to the library inside Australia House with my husband as he used to read a few of the Aussie newspapers there.

Indeed. The Hot Pot was a regular place to eat. What a great menu. There were three around the Earls Court area and Stock Pot (which only closed in more recent times , ate there in 2010 last) not forgetting another fav, called Chelsea Kitchen. (that went early 00's ) Old Brompton Road had the famous Troubadour, (still going but in a different form) used to eat there a couple of times a week. All shared tables, and great places to meet people. In fact met a few partners at these places, come to think of it. 

You didn't miss much with Australian Outlook. More an advertising mag, very repetitive. But yes Australia House and the State Houses were great places to catch up on the news . Canada and South Africa Houses were near by and call into them from time to time. Especially South Africa, a country I liked to visit in the old days. 

London was cheapish at least to eat out, but more important so much fun back in the day.

Edited by Blue Flu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobj said:

When boiled down, all countries are just rock and dirt, it is what one does and how one manages in them that counts.

Off my soapbox now and off fishing.

Hooroo, Bobj.

Some countries eat the fish head and all innards, why others gut them and very precise in presentation. Considerable differences in preferences . 

21 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Indeed. The Hot Pot was a regular place to eat. What a great menu. There were three around the Earls Court area and Stock Pot (which only closed in more recent times , ate there in 2010 last) not forgetting another fav, called Chelsea Kitchen. (that went early 00's ) Old Brompton Road had the famous Troubadour, (still going but in a different form) used to eat there a couple of times a week. All shared tables, and great places to meet people. In fact met a few partners at these places, come to think of it. 

You didn't miss much with Australian Outlook. More an advertising mag, very repetitive. But yes Australia House and the State Houses were great places to catch up on the news . Canada and South Africa Houses were near by and call into them from time to time. Especially South Africa, a country I liked to visit in the old days. 

London was cheapish at least to eat out, but more important so much fun back in the day.

Just said to my husband "do you remember the Hotpot?"  Of course he does and he also added he remembers paying 25 pence for a pint back then in London.  😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toots said:

Just said to my husband "do you remember the Hotpot?"  Of course he does and he also added he remembers paying 25 pence for a pint back then in London.  😁

I recall 22 pence for omelet and chips at Hot Pot. (cheapest item) I seem to recall twenty something pence for a half bitter in mid seventies but not twenty five for a pint. Ever try Chelsea Kitchen down the Kings Road?. Top nosh place. Share tables. Great for chatting to people from all over the world. 

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I recall 22 pence for omelet and chips at Hot Pot. (cheapest item) I seem to recall twenty something pence for a half bitter in mid seventies but not twenty five for a pint. Ever try Chelsea Kitchen down the Kings Road?. Top nosh place. Share tables. Great for chatting to people from all over the world. 

I can't remember the Chelsea Kitchen but there were so many very good, cheap places to go and have a good meal.

On 16/07/2022 at 15:57, Toots said:

I can't remember the Chelsea Kitchen but there were so many very good, cheap places to go and have a good meal.

On the KIngs Road. Similar to Hot Pot set up. But went on far longer. Great ambiance and easy to chat with people on shared tables.