Commonwealth Seniors Card

We have applied and received the WA Seniors  Card which gives you free to low price travel on Transperth and a range of discounts on touristry type attractions and eating out . It seems there is another card for seniors that gives big discounts for council rates etc . This card is issued through/ by Centrelink and seems to be means tested on income , does it affect your assurance bond of AUS10k if you apply and use the card .

1 hour ago, palaceboy1 said:

We have applied and received the WA Seniors  Card which gives you free to low price travel on Transperth and a range of discounts on touristry type attractions and eating out . It seems there is another card for seniors that gives big discounts for council rates etc . This card is issued through/ by Centrelink and seems to be means tested on income , does it affect your assurance bond of AUS10k if you apply and use the card .

There's a four year waiting period for new permanent residents for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card so based on your timeline you won't be able to get one until June 2024. It shouldn't impact your assurance bond though - after all one of the requirements for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is "You must not be getting a payment from us (Centrelink) or the Department of Veterans' Affairs".

26 minutes ago, Ken said:

There's a four year waiting period for new permanent residents for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card so based on your timeline you won't be able to get one until June 2024. It shouldn't impact your assurance bond though - after all one of the requirements for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is "You must not be getting a payment from us (Centrelink) or the Department of Veterans' Affairs".

Thankyou for this info but checking online it appears to differ by State . I have seen 10 years mentioned for some areas and no waiting periods for others but I suppose I should phone Centrelink on Monday . 

12 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

. It seems there is another card for seniors that gives big discounts for council rates etc . This card is issued through/ by Centrelink and seems to be means tested on income ,

There are concessions for certain groups eg. age and disability pensioners and for certain others  who may be eligible for a  Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card or a (standard) Health Care Card.   Entitlement for these is assessed through Centrelink.

Information about Australian government concessions  here:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/concession-and-health-care-cards

You are correct that it can differ between states because some concessions  - eg.  motor vehicle registration,  utilities rebates  - are determined by each state independently.

Information about concessions applying in Western Australia is available here:

https://concessions.communities.wa.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

13 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

Thankyou for this info but checking online it appears to differ by State . I have seen 10 years mentioned for some areas and no waiting periods for others but I suppose I should phone Centrelink on Monday . 

The information I gave you is from centrelink's own website (now called servicesaustralia) Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - Services Australia The site isn't state specific and makes no mention of the residence requirement varying by state. However once you have the card the concessions you can get do vary by state.

On 22/05/2021 at 10:50, palaceboy1 said:

Don’t forget 143 visa grants carry a 10 year wait on claiming any benefits! 
If any are claimed because of dire straits,  it will be taken from AOS before it’s released after 10 years and it’s the sponsor who will be noted as having a debt against them  - even if the parent paid the AOS themselves. I don’t really know what claiming  and using an income related concession card would do in this scenario 

29 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

If any are claimed because of dire straits,  it will be taken from AOS before it’s released after 10 years and it’s the sponsor who will be noted as having a debt against them  - even if the parent paid the AOS themselves. I don’t really know what claiming  and using an income related concession card would do in this scenario 

But a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card doesn't come with any benefits from Centrelink. In fact you are now allowed to have one if you are receiving any benefits from Centrelink. Despite this (as I mentioned in an earlier comment) there is a 4 year residence requirement for any new arrivals.

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

But a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card doesn't come with any benefits from Centrelink. In fact you are now allowed to have one if you are receiving any benefits from Centrelink. Despite this (as I mentioned in an earlier comment) there is a 4 year residence requirement for any new arrivals.

4 years for visas other than parent visas. These have always had a 10 year wait list as far as I’m aware. Centrelink itself mentions there is a 10 year wait list for certain visas 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

As the benefits claimed would not be paid by Centrelink only that the card is issued by them . The discounts are from a range of mainly government depts such as rates ,motor vehicles , water etc . To use your scenario the normal seniors card would also incur a debt which is not so . Obviously if you were not allowed the card for 10 years Centrelink would not be issuing it to you in the first place as you have to have a Centrelink account to apply .

This has now made me think about the Assurance of Support agreement to which I have not had any paperwork about what might be allowed and what is a no no . When looking at government websites on this issue they state that income related benefits are not allowed and when I search income related benefits term with Centrelink it states regular payments made . I also have found no reference as Ken has mentioned to the 4 year qualifying period so I suppose a few phone calls to Centrelink to clarify . I am not sure that applying for age related discounts falls into the same category as hardship payments .

12 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

This has now made me think about the Assurance of Support agreement to which I have not had any paperwork about what might be allowed and what is a no no . When looking at government websites on this issue they state that income related benefits are not allowed and when I search income related benefits term with Centrelink it states regular payments made . I also have found no reference as Ken has mentioned to the 4 year qualifying period so I suppose a few phone calls to Centrelink to clarify . I am not sure that applying for age related discounts falls into the same category as hardship payments .

The four year wait list for new residents came in with  the recent budget. 

these are the discounts on the two seniors cards , it’s a bit of a muddle as the discounts are listed in order under the suppliers

WA Government Concessions for WA Seniors Card Members 2020-21
          Public transport fares
Transperth – 13 62 13.   
Regional transport
Transwa – 1300 662 205
Water service charges
Water Corp – 1300 659 951
Local government rates
Emergency services levy
Driver’s licence
Dept of Transport – 13 11 56
Vehicle licence fee
Photo card
Fishing licence
Dept of Fisheries – (08) 9482 7333
Entry to WA museums
WA Museum – 1300 134 081
Entry to national parks
Parks and Wildlife – (08) 9219 9000
Spectacles subsidy
Dept of Health – 13 44 77
Cost of Living Rebate
WASC Centre – (08) 6551 8800
Air conditioning rebate
Contact your energy provider
Abbreviations
WASC WASeniorsCard
CSHC Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (Centrelink)
Like us on facebook.com/WASeniorsCard
 Concession fares plus free public transport during off-peak times.
50% concession on Transwa services.
25% rebate with a WASC, capped at $100
50% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC, capped at $600
25% rebate with a WASC, capped at $100.
50% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC, capped at $750
25% rebate with a WASC.
50% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC.
50% rebate with a WASC .
100% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC.
50% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC.
50% rebate with a WASC .
100% rebate if you hold a WASC and CSHC.
50% rebate with a WASC.
Concession on entry fees.
Concession on entry fees.
Up to $54.34 every two years.
2020: $137.22 for couples $91.51 for singles.
Rebate with both a WASC and a CSHC for the cost of air conditioning in areas of high heat discomfort (e.g. Pilbara, Kimberley).

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

The four year wait list for new residents came in with  the recent budget. 

I dont think that kicks in until next year though and it isnt that for those not yet in Aus?- 

The government will save $671 million over five years by applying the four-year Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period to anyone granted permanent residency in Australia from 1 January next year. 

The duration of the waiting period to receive welfare payments previously depended on a migrant’s situation and visa type, but the new measure brings most government subsidies and visa classes in line with the current four-year wait to access JobSeeker, Austudy, and youth allowance payments.

Another article about it is here -https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-21/budget-cuts-new-migrants-welfare-disabled-domestic-violence/100140596 

22 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

I also have found no reference as Ken has mentioned to the 4 year qualifying period

Start on Page Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - Services Australia

Click on Read the full conditions under who can get it Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - Who can get it - Services Australia

Click on You can get a card if you meet all these conditions. You must: meet  residence rules Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - Residence rules - Services Australia

Click on Newly arrived residents may have to wait 2 or 4 years before getting this card, with some exemptions.  Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - Newly arrived resident's waiting period - Services Australia

Scroll down to: 

Holders of permanent residence visa or specified visa subclass granted after 1 January 2019

If you got your permanent residence visa or specified visa subclass on or after 1 January 2019, the following waiting periods apply.

4 year waiting period

There’s a 4 year waiting period for the following payments and concessions:

• Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

I couldn't however find any mention of a 10 year waiting period for parent visas.

I was under the impression that parents on the 143 parent visa weren’t entitled to claim any benefits for 10 years, and that the AOS was lodged to cover any claims made? I don’t know if the Seniors card applies to that, but I think previously you needed tp be PR for 2 years before being eligible.

My question is does the 10 year wait apply to those of us who were granted the pathway 143 from the retirement visas, 405, 410 visas, as we didn’t need a sponsor or lodge the AOS? So can we claim after 4 years? I don’t think any pathway 143 pathway visas were issued before January 2019, just shortly after that date.

I’m fairly sure I have read,, i  hope correctly, that you have to have been PR for 10 years before you can claim a government pension. 

Edited by ramot

15 minutes ago, ramot said:

I was under the impression that parents on the 143 parent visa weren’t entitled to claim any benefits for 10 years, and that the AOS was lodged to cover any claims made? I don’t know if the Seniors card applies to that, but I think previously you needed tp be PR for 2 years before being eligible.

My question is does the 10 year wait apply to those of us who were granted the pathway 143 from the retirement visas, 405, 410 visas, as we didn’t need a sponsor or lodge the AOS? So can we claim after 4 years? I don’t think any pathway 143 pathway visas were issued before January 2019, just shortly after that date.

I’m fairly sure I have read,, i  hope correctly, that you have to have been PR for 10 years before you can claim a government pension. 

"To get Age Pension you generally need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. For at least 5 of these years, there must be no break in your residence." Age Pension - Residence rules - Services Australia But it is only the Age Pension that the 10 year requirement applies to.

On 22/05/2021 at 19:50, palaceboy1 said:

I've come up with the definitive answer for you. Claiming a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (once you've met the residence requirement) is not going to affect your AOS in any way. The only payments that Centrelink can claim from your AOS are the ones listed in the Social Security (Assurances of Support) Determination 2018:

1. Widow allowance
  2. Parenting payment
  3. Youth allowance
  4. Austudy payment
  5. Jobseeker payment
  6. Mature age allowance
  7. Sickness allowance
  8. Special benefit
  9. Partner allowance

In addition the amount of any of the following supplementary allowances but only if you are receiving it because you are getting one of the above allowances:

1. Approved program of work supplement
  2. Education entry payment
  3. Language, literacy and numeracy supplement
  4. Crisis payment
  5. Pensioner education supplement
  6. Telephone allowance
  7. Utilities allowance
  8. Fares allowance

That actually leave a number of Centrelink benefits (not just the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card) that could be claimed without affecting the AOS including Carer Allowance and Carer Payment. The Aged pension isn't listed either but that's because of the 10 residence requirement meaning no one on an AOS would be eligible for it.

43 minutes ago, Ken said:

"To get Age Pension you generally need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. For at least 5 of these years, there must be no break in your residence." Age Pension - Residence rules - Services Australia But it is only the Age Pension that the 10 year requirement applies to.

I realise that about the pension Ken, I was really wondering about other benefits that you might need as you age. Help in the home etc, will you get charged more for example if you need it before 10 years? or not because we are on a 143 pathway visa, we have different conditions, so apart from the pension, do other time restrictions apply to us. Are we eligible for home assist, BE cheap Qld state volunteer car taxi service when you can no longer drive etc.

Will be interesting to find out.

We did have cheap $6 prescriptions for several months last year, as we had reached the safety net. 

On 24/05/2021 at 16:51, LindaH27 said:

The parent is not allowed to pay the AOS themselves. Of course many do, but you have to pretend the children paid it.

37 minutes ago, ramot said:

I realise that about the pension Ken, I was really wondering about other benefits that you might need as you age. Help in the home etc, will you get charged more for example if you need it before 10 years? or not because we are on a 143 pathway visa, we have different conditions, so apart from the pension, do other time restrictions apply to us. Are we eligible for home assist, BE cheap Qld state volunteer car taxi service when you can no longer drive etc.

Will be interesting to find out.

We did have cheap $6 prescriptions for several months last year, as we had reached the safety net. 

As long as the benefit isn't listed on the Social Security (Assurances of Support) Determination 2018 (which I listed earlier and none of the things you've listed are included - most are state supports not Commonwealth) it will not affect your AOS in any way.

Although the Aged Pension is the only Centrelink support that the 10 year period applies to, each of the states have their own rules for the support that they give. They may even have made it a pre-requisite that you be in receipt of the Aged Pension to be entitled to some supports. If that's the case then that 10 year issue does come back into play. You'll just have to look up the rules in your own state.

41 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The parent is not allowed to pay the AOS themselves. Of course many do, but you have to pretend the children paid it.

Yes I think we all know it has to be in the sponsors name - even if most parents pay it themselves! 

Thats why I was warning about it - I think that any payments from Centrelink in the first 10 years to the parents would be taken from AOS and would then show up as a debt against the sponsor,  which some wouldn’t like as it could be legally enforced I guess.