Dental hygiene therapists

Brianm93

Hi everyone, looking to see if there are any dental hygienists/hygiene therapists on here who have made the move in recent times or planning to move over? This is my partners profession and she’s looking for some advice and helpful info regarding transitioning qualifications and finding work etc...

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

Hi everyone, looking to see if there are any dental hygienists/hygiene therapists on here who have made the move in recent times or planning to move over? This is my partners profession and she’s looking for some advice and helpful info regarding transitioning qualifications and finding work etc...

Thanks in advance.

The first thing she needs to do is see if her occupation is on the skills list. If it’s not then she won’t get a visa.  If it is then she’ll need to look at what’s required and how she can get enough points to start the process.  It’s unlikely she (or anyone) will find work until they have a visa in hand as few places will offer a job and wait for a visa to be granted which can take a long time. So it’s visa first then look at jobs.  

A quick search suggests the only possible visa is a 491 which means living for 3-4 years in a regional area.

If you are happy to avoid the big cities and Popular areas then it's an option, but the neighbours/home and away lifestyle won't be possible on a 491

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you are happy to avoid the big cities and Popular areas then it's an option, but the neighbours/home and away lifestyle won't be possible on a 491

Got to disagree with that ... the whole of WA, SA, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast etc are regional (and popular) areas. A 491 is a great option unless you want/need to live in metro Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

The first thing she needs to do is see if her occupation is on the skills list. If it’s not then she won’t get a visa. 

It's possible the person may have been granted a partner visa?  It's not clear from the original post.

29 minutes ago, Skani said:

It's possible the person may have been granted a partner visa?  It's not clear from the original post.

I should have said. I’m the main applicant for the visa (491/190). My girlfriend is just looking for advice as to how she could carry on working as a hygiene therapist when we arrive there, does she have to sit tough exams to transfer her qualifications, if so do they cost much and where would these be held etc...

Edited by Brianm93

Dental hygienists and dental therapists with a non-approved qualification

If a dental hygienist or dental therapist holds overseas qualifications and is not registered in New Zealand then they can:

• complete an approved qualification, or
  • undertake the assessment process overseen by the Australian Dental Council (ADC).

Information about this pathway to registration in Australia for overseas qualified practitioners can be found on the ADC’s website.

last time my UK trained sister looked into it she had to resit exams ......looks like first you need to fill in the ADC forms for a skills assessment to tell u what they want/need to register you here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

Dental hygienists and dental therapists with a non-approved qualification

If a dental hygienist or dental therapist holds overseas qualifications and is not registered in New Zealand then they can:

• complete an approved qualification, or
  • undertake the assessment process overseen by the Australian Dental Council (ADC).

Information about this pathway to registration in Australia for overseas qualified practitioners can be found on the ADC’s website.

last time my UK trained sister looked into it she had to resit exams ......looks like first you need to fill in the ADC forms for a skills assessment to tell u what they want/need to register you here 

That’s great, thank you!