Home Affairs accused me of lying

newarrival

27 minutes ago, newarrival said:

Pretty sure you can buy a house on a bridging visa. You don't need special permission as far as I know.

If you have cash I think you can but not sure you would get past first base on mortgage application 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, newarrival said:

Being given just 2 weeks to leave the country is impossible anyway. How is anyone supposed to sell all their furniture in that short space of time? I can't leave Australia for at least 6 months at the very minimum.

Could you sell all your furniture in just 2 weeks and sell your house?

Immigration don’t care about that.  They picked up to Irish bricklayers on a site I was on in sydney straight to detention Center and flight out country don’t pass go don’t collect the £200 😬

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newarrival said:

I have no intention of leaving Australia. As for being charged with fraud I'd say that would hard to prove as Ive done nothing fraudulent.

Actually you aren't the one to make the decision on whether you leave Australia or not, Home Affairs are, and you can do nothing about it but comply.   My suggestion to you is to contact a Registered Migration Agent as your situation is very tenuous.

• Like 7

I can't remember what I wrote on the card now but I probably wrote holiday, same as I told customs. Not doing anything illegal.

If you entered Australia on a 3 month tourist visa 18 months ago and haven't submitted an application for a long term visa since then, you are indeed illegally in the country - and have been for the last 15 months.   And if you've been working on a tourist visa to fund your rental and furniture then you are doubly illegal.

Edited by Skani
  • Like 4

I can't remember what I wrote on the card now but I probably wrote holiday, same as I told customs. Not doing anything illegal.

If you wrote holiday on the card, then you signed a declaration that said you'd leave when your visa expired.   You didn't.  That's breaking the law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newarrival said:

Being given just 2 weeks to leave the country is impossible anyway. How is anyone supposed to sell all their furniture in that short space of time? I can't leave Australia for at least 6 months at the very minimum.

Could you sell all your furniture in just 2 weeks and sell your house?

What are you doing with furniture? You only came on a visitors visa. It's not immigrations problem. If you have some you might  end up giving it away.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, newarrival said:

I have no intention of leaving Australia. As for being charged with fraud I'd say that would hard to prove as Ive done nothing fraudulent.

"Talking" to you is like talking to a brick wall.  You did the wrong thing and thought you could get away with it.  Maybe somebody dobbed you in to immigration.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, newarrival said:

I had a phone call today from Home Affairs out of the blue. They said that when I arrived in Australia over a year and a half ago I lied to customs officers as I told them I was only visiting for a holiday for 8 weeks and then leaving.

The real reason I came here was to apply for a permanent resident visa but family and friends advised me not to mention that to customs as chances are I wouldn't be allowed in and for me to book a return ticket so it would look as if I was on holiday. I agreed that it was a good idea and my best chance of getting past customs.

So what did I do wrong exactly? There's no rule anywhere that I can see that says I cant say that I'm coming for a short stay and then later change my mind and apply for a permanent resident visa. 

They have given me a BVE bridging visa with a condition I buy a ticket. Obviously I'm not going to do that.

I think you now have many peoples personal opinions on what you have done / should do. If you really want to stay / return to Australia at any point i strongly suggest you call a MARA registered agent as soon as possible (we have quite a few who post on here in the migration section).

As the thread has started to get personal and very speculative ,i will now close it as there is no more information anyone can give on top of what as already been said.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1