Fuel Prices in Adelaide

North to South

We will be driving from Adelaide Hills to Canberra soon. Over two days ( not in a rush but can be done in a day). Roads are not exactly busy though! You can cover a lot of ground here compared to the Uk in the same time. 

Edited by rammygirl

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

We will be driving from Adelaide Hills to Canberra soon. Over two days ( not in a rush but can be done in a day). Roads are not exactly busy though! You can cover a lot of ground here compared to the Uk in the same time. 

That's true, the traffic in the valley was horrendous.

Always digging up the road somewhere haha I don't miss it.

18 hours ago, rammygirl said:

If you don’t have local info or want to know anything let me know.  

5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

What did you pay for new ev car ? 

2nd hand start at $20k (eg Nissan Leaf), new from $40k (eg MG ZS EV) or $70k for Hyundai Kona / Tesla Model 3.

Also bear in mind modern EVs need almost zero servicing (wiper fluid, tyre rotation), last much longer and resale values hold up better as a result.

2 hours ago, mt9754 said:

2nd hand start at $20k (eg Nissan Leaf), new from $40k (eg MG ZS EV) or $70k for Hyundai Kona / Tesla Model 3.

Also bear in mind modern EVs need almost zero servicing (wiper fluid, tyre rotation), last much longer and resale values hold up better as a result.

I quite like the look of the Mitsubishi Outlander plug in hybrid.

Although mine won't need replacing for five years plus, and it may be a different ball game then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I quite like the look of the Mitsubishi Outlander plug in hybrid.

Although mine won't need replacing for five years plus, and it may be a different ball game then.

Yes those hybrid plugins will be gone in a couple of years and EVs should be cheaper than ICE cars by then

13 hours ago, mt9754 said:

good article on service costs etc 

interesting that the advice to maximise battery quality only charge to 80% 

They are going to get more popular and cost will come down to purchase possibly ( hopefully) 

but they are not going to save the planet in next ten years if we are to believe ER mob imho

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/vehicles/electric-car-servicing/

10 cheapest cars in Australia 

still a fair way to go for  EV to be 100% competitive 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/urban/hacks/10-cheapest-new-cars-for-sale-in-australia-79239

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

good article on service costs etc 

interesting that the advice to maximise battery quality only charge to 80% 

They are going to get more popular and cost will come down to purchase possibly ( hopefully) 

but they are not going to save the planet in next ten years if we are to believe ER mob imho

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/vehicles/electric-car-servicing/

10 cheapest cars in Australia 

still a fair way to go for  EV to be 100% competitive 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/urban/hacks/10-cheapest-new-cars-for-sale-in-australia-79239

True, not there yet but things are moving quick.

The new batteries this year can now charge to 100% and still last 800,000km before degrading a bit - the technology is really changing fast at the moment.

21 hours ago, mt9754 said:

True, not there yet but things are moving quick.

The new batteries this year can now charge to 100% and still last 800,000km before degrading a bit - the technology is really changing fast at the moment.

Yes it’s changing very quickly but I don’t think it’s going to save the planet, if say Australia went all ev in next 10 years how would the grid cope charging all these vehicles. It struggles now add in the infrastructure required it’s going to be 20 plus years away. 

Also add in tax revenue lost on fuel sales this will be added to recharging cost , over all they will be no cheaper to run than ice in long term. 
A mixture of both is the way forward imho 

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Yes it’s changing very quickly but I don’t think it’s going to save the planet, if say Australia went all ev in next 10 years how would the grid cope charging all these vehicles. It struggles now add in the infrastructure required it’s going to be 20 plus years away. 

Also add in tax revenue lost on fuel sales this will be added to recharging cost , over all they will be no cheaper to run than ice in long term. 

Fair enough, i’m more positive about EV.

There are plans for Australia to produce 8 times more electricity than they need (via solar) and make good money exporting to neighbours so I don’t think lack of electricity will be a problem.

Petrol is such an inefficient conversion of power (12%) vs EV (77%).

I personally have a wacky idea that solar will be proven to cause global warming as well (due to the black panels absorbing as opposed to reflecting) and we’ll be putting white silica sand over stuff in 15 years lol, but pretty sure we’ll be gold with wind power.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

It will certainly improve the air quality in our cities.