A long time in the planning

britsabroad

When we applied for a Parent Contrib Visa it was a 2yr+ wait but it was soon extended to 4yrs+.  Then just as we were about to travel to activate visas, C-19 scuppered our plans......that was last year, now we a looking to give up jobs & pack up to go as we are just waiting & waiting & waiting.

Any advice on current shipping & travel hurdles ?

Edited by britsabroad

4 minutes ago, britsabroad said:

When we applied for a Parent Contrib Visa it was a 2yr+ wait but it was soon extended to 4yrs+.  Then just as we were about to travel to activate visas, C-19 scuppered our plans......that was last year, now we a looking to give up jobs & pack up to go as we are just waiting & waiting & waiting.

Any advice on current shipping & travel hurdles ?

It sounds as though you have your visas so you are free to go. The biggest hurdle it seems will be getting flights.  Many are managing it but many have also had several cancelled. I think it’s just a case of keep trying and it will happen. I’ve not heard shopping is a problem. I guess you’ll need to ensure they can keep it for you in storage the other end if your flights are cancelled. You’ll have the hassle and expense of hotel quarantine when you get there but that’s just the way it is. Best of luck.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It sounds as though you have your visas so you are free to go. The biggest hurdle it seems will be getting flights.  Many are managing it but many have also had several cancelled. I think it’s just a case of keep trying and it will happen. I’ve not heard shopping is a problem. I guess you’ll need to ensure they can keep it for you in storage the other end if your flights are cancelled. You’ll have the hassle and expense of hotel quarantine when you get there but that’s just the way it is. Best of luck.

In what are among the strictest rules in the world, flight caps mean a limited number of people - only citizens and Permanent Residents and their spouses or dependents (husbands/wives/children) - can fly in each week, to control hotel quarantine.

From next week, just over 6300 will allowed in per week, up slightly.

That includes NSW taking the most at 3,010 and Victoria taking 1,310,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

It is possible as we moved over lock stock & barrel last October . It needs good planning and a little luck maybe . We read lots of forums before deciding how to do it and it all went fine , although expensive . 

Did you use container shipping, smaller or nothing?  I have read container rates have increased recently but should reduce within a few months so apart from personal effects it begs whether it’s worth moving furniture & larger stuff over.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, britsabroad said:

Did you use container shipping, smaller or nothing?  I have read container rates have increased recently but should reduce within a few months so apart from personal effects it begs whether it’s worth moving furniture & larger stuff over.

When considering whether it's worth moving stuff over, don't just consider the cost of replacing every stick of furniture.  Also consider the time it will take you to go out and shop for all that stuff.  If you are able to stay with family when you first arrive, that will take the pressure off, but it is still a wearisome task.   I also suggest doing a trial shop on the internet, to see how much it will all cost.  If it's been some years since you furnished your home, you may get a shock--and of course, prices are different in Australia.   Look at sites like https://www.harveynorman.com.au/, https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/.    Just "add to basket" everything you're going to need, hit "checkout" and look at the total (which will put the cost of shipping into perspective!).

There are three options open to you:  a container, a Movecube, or individual boxes. 

If you don't have enough to fill a full container, then you can opt for a shared container, which means you'll be sharing your container with other people  Each consignment is kept separate, but because the container can be unpacked and repacked during the journey, there is always a risk things will get mixed up and things will get lost.

The Movecube is exclusive to one company, Seven Seas, and is available in three sizes. You pack it yourself, which keeps costs down, but you can pay extra and have them pack it for you. Even the largest size isn't suitable for very large furniture, like beds or a sofa.

Individual boxes are the most expensive option and the smallest Movecube may turn out cheaper.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, britsabroad said:

We had a full 20 foot container . We had quotes from six of the larger shippers which varied from £3800 to £5200 but there was quite a difference in what was included in the quotes , also there was quite a scramble to reduce prices to match others . We chose a local company in the end Pretloves of Epping at a cost of £4200 door to door plus insurance and Australian customs fee .goods collected 29/09/20 arrived doorstep Perth 29/09/20 . No damage/ loss/breakages .We moved what was precious to us and if it’s not needed in the future so be it 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

We had a full 20 foot container . We had quotes from six of the larger shippers which varied from £3800 to £5200 but there was quite a difference in what was included in the quotes , also there was quite a scramble to reduce prices to match others . We chose a local company in the end Pretloves of Epping at a cost of £4200 door to door plus insurance and Australian customs fee .goods collected 29/09/20 arrived doorstep Perth 29/09/20 . No damage/ loss/breakages .We moved what was precious to us and if it’s not needed in the future so be it 

I have been advised that a 20ft container is enough for the contents of a 3-bed property.  Does that ring true i.e. is that just the major items or everything in the property, like doing a house move in uk ?
I will probably need storage in Aus for a while as we will be staying at family while we look for jobs & a property.

39 minutes ago, britsabroad said:

I have been advised that a 20ft container is enough for the contents of a 3-bed property.  Does that ring true i.e. is that just the major items or everything in the property, like doing a house move in uk ?
I will probably need storage in Aus for a while as we will be staying at family while we look for jobs & a property.

We did not take any white goods and not much out of the shed and garage/ garden although I regret that a bit now as I don’t reckon our shipment was even checked at customs .Our container was pretty full , we did most of the packing and wrapping ourselves for piece of mind although the moving companies will do this for you . All the companies who quoted offered storage either in the UK or Australia at a weekly/monthly rate .

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

When considering whether it's worth moving stuff over, don't just consider the cost of replacing every stick of furniture.  Also consider the time it will take you to go out and shop for all that stuff.  If you are able to stay with family when you first arrive, that will take the pressure off, but it is still a wearisome task.   I also suggest doing a trial shop on the internet, to see how much it will all cost.  If it's been some years since you furnished your home, you may get a shock--and of course, prices are different in Australia.   Look at sites like https://www.harveynorman.com.au/, https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/.    Just "add to basket" everything you're going to need, hit "checkout" and look at the total (which will put the cost of shipping into perspective!).

I would just like to add to this, if you do go to buy lots of items from the likes of Harvey Norman etc you ask for a discount or groupage. They will often deduct a fair few dollars or throw items in and also have decent bargains in the sales, which happen quite a lot, lol,  the website doesn't account for this if doing the above and trying an online shop. We purchased a few bigger electrical items and they threw in a kettle, toaster, ironing board and iron for free. I believe the Good Guys (another store here) also do this. 

You can also use shops like Fantastic Furniture that do whole room packages pretty cheap. Quality is similar to Ikea which is also over here too if you like Ikea . Fantastic Furniture currently have  2 room furniture package for under $1200. https://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/Categories/Package-Deals/c/Package Deals

Marketplace and Gumtree are awesome for second hand if you don't necessarily require new. When we arrived our outdoor dining set was second hand and cost us about $100 if that. It lasted us another 5 years! 

If all else fails there is BIG W and Kmart who do kettles, toasters and other small electrical items ,prices there start around $5 and they also sell some bedding, towels etc for decent prices.

https://www.kmart.com.au/category/home-&-living/251026   

https://www.bigw.com.au/home/c/65/

Cal x

• Like 1