309/100 application

Anna Mat

I am applying for 309/100visa from the UK. Anyone has any info on the timeline of the process during Covid? Also how much time would we have to move from the day when the visa is granted? 
I’m also unsure if family unit applies only to ppl living under the same address or my parents as well? 
many thanks for any feedback!

I'm not sure of the current timescale.  The published timescale includes all countries (and most other countries take longer than the UK) so it's misleading.

When you say, "family unit" do you mean who can be included on the visa?   Only the partner and their children.  Parents are not included.   It is difficult and expensive to get a visa for parents.  The processing time for the most expensive parent visa, if you apply today, is about 10 years, and that is going to get worse.  The Australian government has calculated that elderly parents cost the taxpayer millions of dolllars in healthcare and aged care, so they grant only a few thousand parent visas each year, in spite of the thousands on the waiting list. 

If it's important to you to have your parents close by, then I suggest doing your research on parents' visas so you can get a realistic idea of whether it's even possible.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Usually PR visas are granted with a 5 year travel facility, meaning you can come and go freely during the 5 years from grant. After that time you will need either a resident return visa or citizenship if you wish to leave and return.  
When granted you are given a date when you MUST make a first entry to Australia, this is usually one year from medicals/police checks. Although some people have reported this has varied recently and some are given 1 year from grant (I wouldn’t bank on this though). You don’t have to stay for good just validate the visa by entering if you are not ready for the move.

• Like 1

Hi , 

I would like to you for help. I just submitted my application for 309/100visas and now I’m working on the supporting documents and I have some question however I don’t see any support email contact ? Would you know if such contact ? 
many thanks Anna 

4 hours ago, Anna Mat said:

Hi , 

I would like to you for help. I just submitted my application for 309/100visas and now I’m working on the supporting documents and I have some question however I don’t see any support email contact ? Would you know if such contact ? 
many thanks Anna 

To be frank, it would have been better to have resolved any questions before handing over nearly $8,000. There is no ‘support email’ ... but there is some guidance on the Department’s website as a first -out of call. 

20 minutes ago, paulhand said:

To be frank, it would have been better to have resolved any questions before handing over nearly $8,000. There is no ‘support email’ ... but there is some guidance on the Department’s website as a first -out of call. 

Thank you Paul.  My questions have arisen upon submittion. Perhpas somone will know the answer- I would very much appreciate any help on the following:

1.Health checks: I have received a referral letter for the health checks. I want to know if I should proceed now or wait until later as I understand it expires after 6 months?

2. Are the police checks mandatory ?  ( even for  otherEU countries ). What is recommanded timeline to undertake them?

3.Upolading attachements : under the diffrent cathegories should I use the same documents -repeating them to support my application or once added in the application is serves all cathegories? 

4.Can I cluster ( put in slides)  my pictures or they need to be loaded one by one ? 

Thank you very much for help.Anna 

22 hours ago, Anna Mat said:

1.Health checks: I have received a referral letter for the health checks. I want to know if I should proceed now or wait until later as I understand it expires after 6 months?

2. Are the police checks mandatory ?  ( even for  otherEU countries ). What is recommanded timeline to undertake them?

3.Upolading attachements : under the diffrent cathegories should I use the same documents -repeating them to support my application or once added in the application is serves all cathegories? 

4.Can I cluster ( put in slides)  my pictures or they need to be loaded one by one ? 

I submitted my application for a 309/100 in September and got the grant in late December. (Berlin office). The below is not advice as such (I am not an immigration professional) but this is what I did:

1. When you say a referral - you mean the department have asked you to go for them? I personally went when asked (about 2 months after submission) but as you say, they expire, so it is your risk. My personal opinion (Not advice) is that if the department is asking, then one should go. 

2. Yes. The help section of the application explains the criteria regarding which countries you will need them for quite clearly. When I did my application, I waited until I was asked for it. I believe it lasts a year before needing re-doing. I only needed UK, as I had not lived anywhere else for long enough, but my other half needed Australia and UK for her SP-40, which accompanied my application.

3. I did not do this. 100 attachments goes fast - I did the main application form, then wrote a covering document for each of the 'big' questions (Things like the makeup of your relationship, how you split household affairs and finances, mutual commitment, etc) - probably an average of 2-4 pages of detail depending on the question, but then referenced documents from other sections as required and highlighted relevant information within bank statements, and so on, colour coding it according to the question I was answering (i.e. red highlights where it was evidence as to how we split household costs like bills, and yellow where I highlighted some things in relation to us sharing the costs of holidays and our dog's expenses in another question)

4. Cluster them, or you will probably run out of attachments. I didn't attach loads and loads though (But my circumstances could be very different to yours). Around 15 photos total + a selection of wedding invites/ thank you cards, cards and notes to each other, cards from her parents, etc... but all bundled together in a few logically organised PDFs.  I just did a selection throughout time and ensured that every single item was referenced in one of my attached documents. 

Doing this well takes a LOT of time! I think I was working on it for the entirety of most evenings and a few weekends for about 2-3 weeks. 

Edited by vongole83
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna Mat said:

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find form 40SP on the Australian immigration website- I would appreciate a link as I can’t find it . Many thanks ! 

Log into your immi account and choose new application, then choose Family, then select Sponsorship for a partner to Migrate to Australia it will then ask for the reference number from YOUR Application and your date of birth. Then let your sponsor fill the form out and submit it. It will be connected to your application due to the reference number.

To clarify it’s an online form rather than a form you download.

Your partner/sponsor does this through your immi account.

Edited by BigJoe

On 21/01/2021 at 22:01, BigJoe said:

Log into your immi account and choose new application, then choose Family, then select Sponsorship for a partner to Migrate to Australia it will then ask for the reference number from YOUR Application and your date of birth. Then let your sponsor fill the form out and submit it. It will be connected to your application due to the reference number.

To clarify it’s an online form rather than a form you download.

Your partner/sponsor does this through your immi account.

Thanks a lot BigJoe ! Found it 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how you are now getting on with your application but we found these websites helpful:

https://halftheclothes.com/travel-tips/australian-partner-visa-application-tips/

https://brookearoundtown.com/uploading-evidence-to-our-820-801-australian-partner-visa-application

On photos, we scanned them as combined pages, with labels/ commentaries including dates under each one. You can also find online tools to compress/reduce the size of PDF files.

We treated everything as mandatory.

Like Vongole I put in a supporting statement (which I verified with a Statement of Truth and had notarised in the UK) addressing all of the questions you can see in the application form (as headings - "How, when and where you met"; "How the relationship developed"; "What you do together"; "Time you spent apart"; "Significant events in the relationship"; "Your plans for the future") - Vongole said they had 2-4 pages of detail per question; my overall document was 16 typed pages (just over 6,000 words), just written as a chronological narrative, divided into paragraphs.  That was almost certainly  more than needed (certainly more than I have seen others doing) but I didn't get an RFI - just straight to grant of my 309.

1 hour ago, TBD said:

I don't know how you are now getting on with your application but we found these websites helpful:

Providing immigration advice for remuneration, which both these sites appear to be doing, is illegal in Australia unless you are a Registered Migration Agent or another exempt person.  One person's successful experience does not make them an expert either.