Safety for dogs

KangaKit

Snakes are pretty much everywhere ,not just NTH QLD and many people have small dogs. It is not as common to see snakes as you think it will be, so just be observant and keep your garden / yard tidy and eliminate any potential hidey holes.

You also need to be aware of ticks, they probably kill more dogs than snake bites, so definitely get tick treatment when you arrive and keep up with the dosage, my dogs have a tablet once a month that prevents ticks, heart worm etc.

Cal x

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KangaKit said:

I really am split,  my sister wants to look after him in Scotland and I think this might be the best option for his safety but it would also break my heart to leave him.

It will entirely come down to your choice. Thousands of people across QLD have dogs,  things arent waiting around the corner to attack (even though prior to arriving ,i thought they were ,lol).

Cal x

• Like 1

There are also some nasty seagulls around too.  There were a couple of them continuously swooping my dog the other day.  One of them got a bit too close to him and he jumped up, caught it and killed it.  😬  Thank goodness there were no young children around to witness the murder.

I am very aware that there are snakes around now.  Not that I've seen any mind you but I know they are there.  I don't let my dog off the lead near bushy areas.  Snakes are shy and if they sense you coming they slither away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 20/12/2020 at 17:35, KangaKit said:

I really am split,  my sister wants to look after him in Scotland and I think this might be the best option for his safety but it would also break my heart to leave him.

You could always fly over without him and see how you feel. I’ve owned both dogs and cats in Queensland and in ten years, despite living in the rainforest or on acreage I’ve only had one incident with a snake and my dogs (touch wood) 

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

You could always fly over without him and see how you feel. I’ve owned both dogs and cats in Queensland and in ten years, despite living in the rainforest or on acreage I’ve only had one incident with a snake and my dogs (touch wood) 

Our friends had dogs in Queensland for years and never any trouble with snakes.  As others have said, ticks are the biggest risk.  They lost one dog to a paralysis tick and nearly lost another.

• Like 1