State school fees..... another shock!!!

Guest jonseywife

Guest jonseywife

Well, last night I went to my kids school 'choices' evening, and gotta tell you, I had a bit of a shock:shocked:!!!!

I have a son going into year 11, a daughter into year 9 and a son going into year 7.

We have been out here over six months now, and when my kids first went to school, my other half wasn't working (as it took him three months just to get Registered and get work as a Plumber) so we had a concession card, and did'nt have to pay any fees luckily. Although we had to buy all the school books, stationery etc., which came to about $500 for all of them. I did know you had to buy the books before we came out, so no big surprises there.

The shock came when I was given the choices booklet and all the charges for the subjects. Year 11 is the worst, by far. Although they have great options and lots of choices it all comes at a cost. Typically all my kids want do do the most costly options, ie., Music indusrty $1000, Photography $260, Outdoor and environmental studies $650, Food tech $180, Design $150 and lots more too.

So with the books as well, looks like we will get a bit for about $3000+ for the year. I'm not sure if we can afford that at the moment to be honest, as we're still trying to get back on our feet after the big move out here........ and Im not sure if my kids will be able to do all the subject they want, because of the cost!!!! It seems unfair, and I wondered if anyone else has had this problem...... ?????????????

So if you have younger kids, start saving folks.

I think I need a drink !!!!!:wacko:

Sally-ann

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sally-ann,

I will join ya for that drink, my daughter opted for photography & dance & i had a bit of a shock from the costs !!!!

The aussies sure do keep the fees coming, theres always something at school to have to pay for.

stuju

Every parent has this problem and as the subjects get more complex the extras get dearer.

The camp fees, excursion fees etc state education is not cheap when you have children at school.

The problem is that if the fees are not paid by the parents the child suffers.

Have a look around for second hand books though if you have the list you might be able to source them cheaper that way. :smile:

Guest jonseywife

I was even more shocked to find that lots of the kids over here, pay there OWN school fees for that reason, the parents cant always afford them.

Thats why most of the kids have jobs over here, and work really hard for their money!

My son has got a little job now in a local take away ......... he had better get some more shifts to work then, if thats the case !!!!!! :twitcy:

Sally-ann

Guest itskaren
Well, last night I went to my kids school 'choices' evening, and gotta tell you, I had a bit of a shock:shocked:!!!!

I have a son going into year 11, a daughter into year 9 and a son going into year 7.

We have been out here over six months now, and when my kids first went to school, my other half wasn't working (as it took him three months just to get Registered and get work as a Plumber) so we had a concession card, and did'nt have to pay any fees luckily. Although we had to buy all the school books, stationery etc., which came to about $500 for all of them. I did know you had to buy the books before we came out, so no big surprises there.

The shock came when I was given the choices booklet and all the charges for the subjects. Year 11 is the worst, by far. Although they have great options and lots of choices it all comes at a cost. Typically all my kids want do do the most costly options, ie., Music indusrty $1000, Photography $260, Outdoor and environmental studies $650, Food tech $180, Design $150 and lots more too.

So with the books as well, looks like we will get a bit for about $3000+ for the year. I'm not sure if we can afford that at the moment to be honest, as we're still trying to get back on our feet after the big move out here........ and Im not sure if my kids will be able to do all the subject they want, because of the cost!!!! It seems unfair, and I wondered if anyone else has had this problem...... ?????????????

So if you have younger kids, start saving folks.

I think I need a drink !!!!!:wacko:

Sally-ann

We chose our kids to go to a private school. Quoted $18k per year for both of them. Not too bad certainly more affordable than the UK. However, the fees so far are $28k plus we have another terms fees to pay in a few months so will bring it up to about $35k. All the added extras like field trips, books, chess, tennis etc. All the other kids are doing it so I hate my kids missing out. I know it is our choice but it is all the extra hidden fees that annoy me like building costs etc that parents have to pay a fee towards each month.

looks like we'll be in poverty for the next 10 years!

Guest jonseywife
We chose our kids to go to a private school. Quoted $18k per year for both of them. Not too bad certainly more affordable than the UK. However, the fees so far are $28k plus we have another terms fees to pay in a few months so will bring it up to about $35k. All the added extras like field trips, books, chess, tennis etc. All the other kids are doing it so I hate my kids missing out. I know it is our choice but it is all the extra hidden fees that annoy me like building costs etc that parents have to pay a fee towards each month.

looks like we'll be in poverty for the next 10 years!

Blimey.... 35k, thats alot of money!!!!! :swoon:

I had better stop moaning then, (althoug my husbands flat rate takehome pay, without overtime, is'nt much more than that :cry: !!!!)

Anyone know of a cheap campsite we can live in !!!!!!!!

Sally-ann

p.s. call me mad but I still like Australia !!!!!!!

Guest itskaren
Blimey.... 35k, thats alot of money!!!!! :swoon:

I had better stop moaning then, (althoug my husbands flat rate takehome pay, without overtime, is'nt much more than that :cry: !!!!)

Anyone know of a cheap campsite we can live in !!!!!!!!

Sally-ann

p.s. call me mad but I still like Australia !!!!!!!

Tell me about it.....!!! We will be camping for the rest of our lives! Although my 8 year old told me yesterday he would like to be a busker when he is older!! I told me to let me know now so I can send him to the local primary school!!

I will make them both sign a contract soon that when they are the next Bill gates they need to give us an allowance!!

Guest jonseywife

I will make them both sign a contract soon that when they are the next Bill gates they need to give us an allowance!!

We can only hope................... !!!!!!!! x :yes:

Guest Jaynie

Hi Sally-Ann,

Have you spoken to the school asking if you can pay installments? They may allow this, worth a try anyway.

Hi sorry to highjack this post to ask my own question but I didnt think this warrented its own thread. We are (hopefully!) coming to Oz on a 175 skilled visa. Is it true that we will not have to pay school fees and if so does that mean we would be able to put our children in any school regardless of whether its fee paying or not?:v_SPIN:

Guest Brickie

They tried the school fees thing on us too, its a voluntary thing in Vic for primary school kids and I refused to pay.

You pay for excursions etc but thats expected.

Not sure about high school fees though, Ill have to check with erindoors when she gets home.

I didnt realise this either, wouldnt you feel bad telling your kids they cant choose the option that they want. One of my mine will go into year 10 and the other year 11.

Mattcath I think that Jonseywife went to Australia on a 136 which is the old 175 visa!

Guest jonseywife

Hey Brickie......

You seemed to have got away with it then, but I think you'll find you HAVE to pay for the type of courses your kids take when they get to High school and you can get away without pay for some fees ie., building funds for upkeep of the school , student services charge etc., but you definately have to pay for their courses!!

We came out on the old 136 skilled independant visa (Permanent Residency) and was under the impression that schooling was your right. God only knows what the charges are for people on Temp visa's!!!!!!! :skeptical:

Good luck

Sally-ann

Hey Brickie......

You seemed to have got away with it then, but I think you'll find you HAVE to pay for the type of courses your kids take when they get to High school and you can get away without pay for some fees ie., building funds for upkeep of the school , student services charge etc., but you definately have to pay for their courses!!

We came out on the old 136 skilled independant visa (Permanent Residency) and was under the impression that schooling was your right. God only knows what the charges are for people on Temp visa's!!!!!!! :skeptical:

Good luck

Sally-ann

Sally-ann, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Ile have to check a few schools in Queensland out to see the charges x

When your children get to 16, 17 get them their own medicare card because they can then get a health care card of their own from Centrelink. They may not get sick much but its a help. Also they can get a student travel card if they travel to uni or tafe.

If they go to uni or Tafe its means tested but a lot of children get a youth allowance

From the centrelink site

"ou may be eligible for Youth Allowance if you are:

• 16–20 years old and
    • studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship full-time, or
    • looking for full time work or undertaking a combination of approved activities, or have temporary exemption from the participation and activity test requirements.

[*]21–24 years old and studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship full-time.

[*]If you turn 25 you can keep getting Youth Allowance until you finish your course or Apprenticeship."

Guest Brickie
Hey Brickie......

You seemed to have got away with it then, but I think you'll find you HAVE to pay for the type of courses your kids take when they get to High school

I have found out about high school fees yet..but I know primary school fees are a con..

Guest The Pom Queen

Well my eldest son mentioned he wanted to study law at uni and as he is doing his electives he went to see the school career adviser who advised him to study at Melbourne Uni as a lawyer it would cost..... wait for it...... $146k, I nearly fell off my chair he said mum don't worry there is another cheaper way of doing it through the Melbourne JD Degree and that's ONLY $81,900, jeez I think I will have to re mortgage the house and join you lot in the tent:cry:

Guest Brickie
Well my eldest son mentioned he wanted to study law at uni and as he is doing his electives he went to see the school career adviser who advised him to study at Melbourne Uni as a lawyer it would cost..... wait for it...... $146k, I nearly fell off my chair he said mum don't worry there is another cheaper way of doing it through the Melbourne JD Degree and that's ONLY $81,900, jeez I think I will have to re mortgage the house and join you lot in the tent:cry:

Your boy can apply for HECS fees, my boy has just graduated as an Electrical Engineer and done it all on HECS..

The Going to Uni Homepage

Your boy can apply for HECS fees, my boy has just graduated as an Electrical Engineer and done it all on HECS..

The Going to Uni Homepage

HECS is complicated and not everyone is entitled to the HECS deferrment - you have to be a citizen to be able to defer costs until you are earning above a particular wage, otherwise you have to pay your HECS up front (as PR). If you are only on a temporary visa then it is almost prohibitive. Law is still going to cost an arm and several legs because it is a 5 year degree and take into account the fees plus living plus books etc I can see that it would easily hit the $100k mark. However once a lawyer you would be charging like a wounded bull and paid off your HECS and driving a porsche in no time at all!

Brickie is right - the fees "charged" by schools are only voluntary as the government is obliged under the Education Act to provide a free education for all children. However, there is a moral obligation to pay them if you can - schools in our area generally reckon to get between 50 - 90% of their voluntary contributions which go to provide the little extras like tissues, toilet paper, pencils for the kids who forget them etc. Schools are not rolling in dough and most would prefer to put their self managed funds into teaching time hence the request for voluntary contributions. If you honestly cant afford it then fine, dont pay but if you can, and you expect your kids to have tissues, toilet paper and craft stuff then pay up and look big. If you really really cannot afford to pay for excursions etc then go and talk to the principal because all schools have a small budget for kids whose parents are not able to come up with fees for excursions etc and they can often come to some arrangement with you like part payment or even no payment at all if they know your circumstances. Similarly with school uniform - often there are ways of helping families out who cannot afford to buy their kids a uniform. Schools are very discreet if you approach them.

As for HS and college courses which cost money - well, they cost money, full stop. Your kids will still have a complete education without them, it is a choice that they make to take the extras - they can get good grades by just doing the freebie courses.

Our DS2 actually did busk one year to get his fare for a swimming trip to Darwin - he earned over $1k which was enough for all his gear and the fare. He was only 10 and we were definitely on our uppers though of course we would have arranged something but he always was an independent little devil so he took his violin out and played Christmas carols one year.

Everything costs in Aus! That's just the way it is!

just be thankful the little darlings aren't past school age!

we are just looking in to moving to melbourne, possibly feb 09.

my 18 year old daughter was intending going to uni in the uk in sept 09 but jumped at the chance of coming with us instead!

i've just looked at the cost of studying as an international student at RMIT - $83000 for a bachelor degree in textiles compared to £9000+ in the uk:shocked:

shall we leave her behind?:yes:

from

shall we /shan't we

cath and bob

Guest purpletomato

Oh Sally Ann!!!! I am sorry to hear that you have such a shock. It does nto matter whether iet is

$ 100 $600 or $ 35000... if we can't afford something it is still too much for us. *hugs*

Life can be such a struggle sometimes aye...

I do hope that you will find a solution... and I am very glad you still like it in Australia!!! Yeayy for that!

Wishing you the best Sally-Ann...

Amanda

Guest rachelj
Yikes now I am really worried I was told that on a 175 schooling was free. I have not budgeted for this at all.:huh::cry:

We have been here 8 months now. state school is free on the visa you will be coming on just like for us. but you are asked to pay voluntry resource fees. High scholl is free but have to pay for all books and any subjects and sports that are apperntly not covered by the normal schooling resources. and of course all the subjects your kids want to do cost. hoope this helps.

Archived