New Passport

Ausvisitor

Hello,

I've already got my grant, and following a delay related to COVID, I'm about to make plans to enter the country after the New Year.

Looking at my passport, it currently has 16 months left on it, (or 10 months if you ignore the extra 6 months I carried forward from the last passport - which some countries won't recognise after Brexit).

I'm therefore thinking I might as well renew now while I'm twiddling my fingers in the UK; yes I lose a year of validity, but I turn up in AUS not needing to renew for 10 years.

So unless anyone can talk me out of it that's what I plan to do...

My question therefore is, I know I can update immigration with my new passport number (when I get it) but how do I actually do this, and is it easy to do?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

My question therefore is, I know I can update immigration with my new passport number (when I get it) but how do I actually do this, and is it easy to do?

Good plan and it couldn’t be easier: in your immi account click ‘update details’ and then ‘change passport details’ - follow the instructions and you’re done. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Hello,

I've already got my grant, and following a delay related to COVID, I'm about to make plans to enter the country after the New Year.

Looking at my passport, it currently has 16 months left on it, (or 10 months if you ignore the extra 6 months I carried forward from the last passport - which some countries won't recognise after Brexit).

I'm therefore thinking I might as well renew now while I'm twiddling my fingers in the UK; yes I lose a year of validity, but I turn up in AUS not needing to renew for 10 years.

So unless anyone can talk me out of it that's what I plan to do...

Thanks!

Did my eldest daughters with no worries.

Also we didnt get an updated visa grant with her new passport number on, so dont worry about not getting one.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 01:20, MARYROSE02 said:

HMRC would not let me log on to their website because I don't have a valid UK passport as part of my proof of ID. I never had a problem before either but they have changed their systems to make it harder to log on I guess with all the fraudsters about.

I log onto HMRC website about twice a month (because of all the personal and business reports I have to compile). I've never once been asked for a passport. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I log onto HMRC website about twice a month (because of all the personal and business reports I have to compile). I've never once been asked for a passport. 

If I choose the option of "another form of identity" it just loops back to "passport" again, and I don't have a valid passport for the UK.

I still have a UK address, though the house is let out, and I use that for id purposes.

I think they have changed their systems? I've used the online service for a decade maybe. 

Screenshot_20201205-054118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201205-054151_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201205-054226_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If I choose the option of "another form of identity" it just loops back to "passport" again, and I don't have a valid passport for the UK.

I still have a UK address, though the house is let out, and I use that for id purposes.

I think they have changed their systems? I've used the online service for a decade maybe. 

Screenshot_20201205-054118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201205-054151_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201205-054226_Chrome.jpg

Detail from email they sent me on Wednesday. I guess I have a P60 if I get one for my UK pensions?

I cannot seem to void the passport requirement and use Credit ref and P60.

I will email them again or telephone them so I guess I'll just have to go back to submitting forms by mail - or getting a new passport.  Is the fee for a new passport tax deductible,!

Screenshot_20201205-055058_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I have sent them another email with the same screenshots I showed you. I don't suppose I can tell them "If I cannot prove my identity I cannot submit my tax returns."

52 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I have sent them another email with the same screenshots I showed you. I don't suppose I can tell them "If I cannot prove my identity I cannot submit my tax returns."

You need to clear your cookies on your computer, or use a different computer, then you’ll be able to go back to the beginning 

Edited by Marisawright

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You need to clear your cookies on your computer, or use a different computer, then you’ll be able to go back to the beginning 

Of course! I never thought of that. I remember we had to do it in my job regularly. I was using my phone. I'll see what happens Marisa, thanks. (Almost typed Melissa).

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Of course! I never thought of that. I remember we had to do it in my job regularly. I was using my phone. I'll see what happens Marisa, thanks. (Almost typed Melissa).

It's strange that it's happening after you've been using the site for so long.  I wonder if someone tried to hack into your account and tried the password once too often?  

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It's strange that it's happening after you've been using the site for so long.  I wonder if someone tried to hack into your account and tried the password once too often?  

Possibly, I had some kind of similar problem with my TFN here in Australia and eventually the ATO gave me a new TFN. And just recently, the ATO blocked my access to My Gov for some reason, possibly linked to the earlier problem. Perhaps the ATO and HMRC "talk" to each other?

"We've got a suss one here - lives in one country, income from both, already had one problem with possible fraud."

I tried to clear my cookies on my phone and it seemed to work but I'm still unable to log on to HMRC.   I have always used a tax agent for my Aussie returns but done my British ones myself.

18 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Possibly, I had some kind of similar problem with my TFN here in Australia and eventually the ATO gave me a new TFN. And just recently, the ATO blocked my access to My Gov for some reason, possibly linked to the earlier problem. Perhaps the ATO and HMRC "talk" to each other?

The ATO and HMRC do talk to each other about some things, but not that.

I'm worried someone hacked into your computer or your phone and tried to access your personal records.  It seems too much of a coincidence that you had trouble with both of them in the same timeframe. Make sure all your antivirus software is up to date and that it's scanning the computer regularly.  Do a full scan and change your passwords too.

Edited by Marisawright

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

"We've got a suss one here - lives in one country, income from both, already had one problem with possible fraud."

I tried to clear my cookies on my phone and it seemed to work but I'm still unable to log on to HMRC.   I have always used a tax agent for my Aussie returns but done my British ones myself.

What is VPN?

Virtual Private Network ... makes you look like you’re somewhere else to the website you’re on. 

We've got a suss one here - lives in one country, income from both

That does not make you “suss” - it makes you a “citizen of the world”

• Like 1