Flight help

Dorsetbrit

We have two weeks until our shipping container leaves and 3 until our house is rented out and our flights were due to leave. Our recent flights with air Canada have just been canceled as well as previous flights with Qantas now we are in a massive predicament trying to secure flights. If anyone knows a good way of getting there from London to Sydney I’d be very great full for any suggestions, I feel like I’ve gone through most and some I can’t get hold of. I’m worried we will lose our jobs or be stuck in uk with no jobs and no home. Any advise would be appreciated.

Before that, remember your airline cannot just cancel your flight, under EU law it is their obligation to offer re-routing (even if it is on another airline).  So ring them up and make it clear you still intend to travel.  It helps if you can clearly demonstrate other flight options, ideally with partner airlines.

If your airline and you both agree, the rerouting could be done to a nearby airport (eg Brisbane).

Also, if they cancel with less than 14 days to go, you are also entitled to compensation.

Checkout: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/indexamp_en.htm#shortcut-26

Before that, remember your airline cannot just cancel your flight, under EU law it is their obligation to offer re-routing (even if it is on another airline).  So ring them up and make it clear you still intend to travel.  It helps if you can clearly demonstrate other flight options, ideally with partner airlines.
If your airline and you both agree, the rerouting could be done to a nearby airport (eg Brisbane).
Also, if they cancel with less than 14 days to go, you are also entitled to compensation.
Checkout: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/indexamp_en.htm#shortcut-26

I’ve got to much to deal with without trying for compensation but Canada airlines were really good and paid back straight away but nothing from Qantas who said up to 12 weeks.

There is a force majeure clause and I’d expect they would cite the pandemic as the reason.

I mention getting your airline to rebook as it is usually a lot easier and cheaper.  If you can find a flight, call them up and get it arranged, this is what I did with British Airways, they can't claim force majeure if you can demonstrate there is an available flight they can plonk you on.  It sounds like you've already cancelled with Air Canada but worth remembering for next time.

Compensation: Yep can understand you have more important things right now, but it's an easy way to get €600 per person after things calm down.

Keep talking to your new employers - I am sure they will be flexible.  Perhaps you can start working remotely before you go?

Incidentally are you moving to work for a a big company?  If so they might be able to put some pressure on the airlines if they spend a lot and have a procurement / travel team.

On this end you can always find somewhere to stay for a few weeks.  You will get there!